• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done and done.  They'll sit in storage for a short while so I can get the room sorted.      

So, the decision has been made.  I weighed up a few factors, and it ultimately came down to my movie watching habits, which isn't full scale blockbusters.  Much of it is script and character driven. 

2 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

IMG_20200723_150040951.jpg

IMG_20200723_161026945.jpg

Oooh yeah, looks the goods.  Will shake that room too...you running them in 2 channel, or movies only?

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Well done - thought you had missed out! :)

If I didn't jump when I did, I would've missed out. There was only 1 new one left and one demo model (hardly used)

Edited by Mr_Gadget
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Oooh yeah, looks the goods.  Will shake that room too...you running them in 2 channel, or movies only?

Just movies ( unless I use my AVR for music) it's too much effort to incorporate them into my pre amp.

I occasionally use Spotify via tv ARC so the subs will come into play then.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Just movies ( unless I use my AVR for music) it's too much effort to incorporate them into my pre amp.

I occasionally use Spotify via tv ARC so the subs will come into play then.

Yep, same as me, just movies.

Great to see them out of the boxes.  I tried lifting one box on to the other yesterday for better storage, almost slipped a disc...can’t wait to set them up 🙄

Peter helped me get them out of the box but it was a struggle to put them in place on my own.

I need to run audysee again to calibrate as they are running hot with my very brief test to make sure they work.

Edited by Mr_Gadget
21 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Peter helped me get them out of the box but it was a struggle to put them in place on my own.

I need to run audysee again to calibrate as they are running hot with my very brief test to make sure they work.

What AVR are you using?

I've picked up two MSR Springtraps to tame the sub-bass, then will use Audyssey when the new pre comes.

I've got an ageing Denon 4311.

Was looking to get a Marantz 7704  but since I bought the subs lol have to put the pre-pro purchase on hold for now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mr_Gadget said:

I've got an ageing Denon 4311.

Was looking to get a Marantz 7704  but since I bought the subs lol have to put the pre-pro purchase on hold for now.

Good decision though, great pricing for the PSA's.

Don't think I could've gotten better subs for for the price paid but I guess I'll never know.

I hope these keep me satisfied for a long time just like my M&Ks did.

Wonder if anyone is interested in buying them?

• Like 1

OMG!!! I think I need new plaster.

I haven't calibrated them yet ( hard to have a quiet home to run audysee) and I'm sure they are running too hot but damn these things are powerful. Put on Ready Player One and I need to check for wall cracks I reckon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

I haven't calibrated them yet ( hard to have a quiet home to run audysee) and I'm sure they are running too hot but damn these things are powerful. Put on Ready Player One and I need to check for wall cracks I reckon.

RPO is a great demo movie - one of the ones I used for Kaynin with my little S1500s. With your V1800s I'm not surprised the plaster is at risk. :)

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Quark said:

RPO is a great demo movie - one of the ones I used for Kaynin with my little S1500s. With your V1800s I'm not surprised the plaster is at risk. :)

I may have to play with the room size knob, got mine in the Middle position. Any science behind wher the dial should be positioned?

2 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

I may have to play with the room size knob, got mine in the Middle position. Any science behind wher the dial should be positioned?

I went for the same spot in my 5.3 x 4.3 x 2.7 room. The instructions don't really offer much guidance.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

"Little" - lol.  Yeah great movie for it, it was fantastic.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Awesome to hear.  Once you dial them in it sounds like they'll do the job!  I'm excited...

• Moderators
On 23/07/2020 at 4:14 PM, Mr_Gadget said:

There are no V1800's left.

😢😢😢

On 25/07/2020 at 5:44 PM, Mr_Gadget said:

My Seatons have a similar function. It's usually recommended to run Audyssey with the dial set to Medium, and move it to Large if you want to add a House Curve (rising response under ~40Hz) after running Audyssey

If you run Audyssey with it set to Large you will probably have a rising low-end response (due to added room gain) - which most people prefer over dead flat, Audyssey will then use filters to flatten this out 

Edited by jamiebosco
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I had dual 2400 Passive JTR Captivators and they were unbelievable. I did setup with my own power amplifier (Crown XLS-5000) so probably not as much could go wrong. I see he doesn't offer passive version for sale anymore??? I dealt directly with Jeff (JTR) and he was good to deal with but nothing went wrong so never had any issues to worry about. If something goes wrong not much you can do from over here so just bear that in mind as you're kind of on your own. No complaints at all about the quality as it was excellent and I ran 2500 Watts per channel with each one wired for 2 Ohm. Insanely good and would have kept them but decided to move on from hifi/home theater due to constraints with neighbours, wife etc. That was back in 2012/2013 so not sure whether anythings changed but at the time one Passive Captivator cost $2k delivered to my door from the states. 

Edited by Aj72
  • Like 1