muriwai

Mitsubishi-saved from hardwaste

Not sure if this is worth spending any time on?

caught my eye thinking it was a reel to reel?

found it just before a big shower was coming over 

put up in attic?with all Muriwai other finds?

any thoughts on wether to plug in and see if it goes “poof”!

cheers Muriwai 

C04E9257-9961-42C8-AE99-7608CF2FFC7B.jpeg

That's awesome find. Don't plug it in. At least check if there is any bulging capacitor or any burn marks. If it doesn't worth bringing to your local repair shop just to do safety check

I would like to see if  I could get it going again!

sadly I am in WA but if you want to sell it to me I will make it go again if at all possible! 

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

Not sure if this is worth spending any time on?

caught my eye thinking it was a reel to reel?

found it just before a big shower was coming over 

put up in attic?with all Muriwai other finds?

any thoughts on wether to plug in and see if it goes “poof”!

cheers Muriwai 

Don't plug it in.

Package it up nice and safely and give it to 

44 minutes ago, Analog Revenge said:

I would like to see if  I could get it going again!

sadly I am in WA but if you want to sell it to me I will make it go again if at all possible!

He'll pay for the postage/freight.

Good vibes all round coz we're a community right?  And everyone would love to see this  come back to life under the right hands.

So cool. What a find ! Don’t know anything about this except it looks like it came from a spaceship 

23 minutes ago, Luc said:

Don't plug it in.

Package it up nice and safely and give it to 

He'll pay for the postage/freight.

Good vibes all round coz we're a community right?  And everyone would love to see this  come back to life under the right hands.

I am up for that Thank You!

Myself and my long time friend and Race/rallycar mechanic repair all sorts of Audio gear, It is actually getting outta hand a bit! But amazing what sort of exquisite gear is in people's homes!

So as I said ;I am up for it!

Thank you all for kind comments 

i would like to hold onto it and see if I can have it restored locally

amy idea suggestions for Melbourne 

i have used Tivoli to get my old McIntosh tuner running

i also found in google a hifi company in Fairfield that had a YouTube clip of the same one they just restored this year

it looks so beautiful 

May I ask for any ideas as to how much I should spend on it considering it owes me nill at the moment 

i am happy to spend some coin on it to preserve it even though I have no use for it!

i have a  2?fantastic tuners already McIntosh and sansui 

i have a vintage pioneer tt already and currently no use for the tape deck as I tossed all my cassettes long ago,although in saying that I think this has pre outs in the rear? If so can I hook it up to my all analog preamp and thereby have a third tuner/second turntable and maybe buy some more cassette to play.

it is far too heavy and fragile to consider posting 

sure would love to hear her sing again

as happy as I am I asked the young man tossing it casually if there was any other hifi and he had already tossed a substantial amount of old records as some were warped!😢

i also got off the pile a 1903 trumpet!(Flugelhorn)😊

any horn players here?

i will mount it at some stage on my wall

😊👍

Did you ask him if it worked?

Unfortunately the elderly chap was no longer there,I believe it was his nieces husband doing the throwing out as he had no immediate family,and property had to be vacated last weekend 

very sad to see a lifetimes collection of bits and pieces being put out for skip bin 😢

there is a possibility I can get in touch with him as I can find out the Retirement Village where he has moved to,somewhere near you I think Fred!

cheers Muriwai 

Personally, I would plug it in (whilst staying safe), if amp/tuner works then check cassette and tt. chances are they will need belts but you never know. If amp at least doesnt work then its probably an expensive uphill battle.

Im a local tech and would be happy to check it out for you. PM for details.

I would explore replacing the stylus - most turntables salvaged have probably never had their styli changed.  Until it's replaced, only play records that don't have any value (eg. get a record from an opshop that has no musical value). 

Posted (edited)

I've owned one of these for a while, it needs work. Only half of the cantilever remains, but I wanted to test the general tone-arm functions since it uses soft/auto controls.

It would appear to cue correctly, but would then immediately trigger the auto-return. It's been in my too-hard basket since testing (don't ask how long).

Turns out that a friend also owns one of these units and they mentioned that theirs also needs repairs - but he seemed to know what needs doing.

There are some cutouts in the platter for sensing light (used to detect record size), which comes from a lamp located as circled in the image below. These lamps (if dead) need replacing.

Now I've only seen two of these units but they both had the same issue, so there's a reasonable chance you'll encounter this too.

x-10111.png.311e857efb4024528ea4ad9ad6d8be04.png

It's interesting to see the plastic(?) platter mat cover - the one with the text on it, as mine no longer includes that.

I can just barely make out some text there about using that sheet when playing coloured vinyl, presumably to block the sensor?... This really thows out any idea I thought I had for the repairs I haven't yet attempted (heh)

I seem to recall picking up some matching speakers with mine, although they really weren't anything special and between grille/cabinet damage I doubt I kept them.

Edited by spaceritual

Inspired by this thread, I pulled mine from storage (no easy feat, it's packed in there) and fired it up. Lo and behold the lamp isn't dead at all... but it still doesn't work properly.

So disregard my prior waffling, because I've been barking up the wrong tree about where the issue lies (I think?)

I'll be opening it up when I get the chance and I'll posting my progress (struggles) if I make any.