Axis LS38 or not?

I'm looking for some advice about Axis LS38 speakers. I viewed a pair of compact Axis floorstanders today. The seller said they were LS38 but they were a 2 driver configuration - not a three driver set up. I thought the LS38s (both MKI and MKII) were only ever made with two bass/mid drivers - not a single bass/mid driver. Could it be the very first incarnation of the LS38 or could it be another model all together. I neglected to take a photo and there was no identification on the back of them. But they were clearly early to mid 90s speakers with the red and black plastic speaker terminals commonly used in those days. Unlike the LS38 MKII they are not bi-wireable.  

Edited by earlcole
Grammatical error

16 minutes ago, earlcole said:

I'm looking for some advice about Axis LS38 speakers. I viewed a pair of compact Axis floorstanders today. The seller said they were LS38 but they were a 2 driver configuration - not a three driver set up. I thought the LS38s (both MKI and MKII) were only ever made with two bass/mid drivers - not a single bass/mid driver. Could it be the very first incarnation of the LS38 or could it be another model all together. I neglected to take a photo and there was no identification on the back of them. But they were clearly early to mid 90s speakers with the red and black plastic speaker terminals commonly used in those days. Unlike the LS38 MKII they are not bi-wireable.  

From memory the LS38 was a quasi 2 way just like the Orpheus Aurora 2.

The LS28 was a two way bookshelf.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, earlcole said:

They are not LS28s but they do look like LS28s in a floorstanding cabinet.

Hence my suggestion of  "could it be LS28's re-housed in a floorstanding cab?".

Some more possibly relevant info:

Edited by zippi
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, earlcole said:

They are not LS28s but they do look like LS28s in a floorstanding cabinet. Yes I think the LS38s were quasi two ways but I thought they only ever had three drivers - not two.

I only read your post after making that comment. Perhaps Axis did a floor standing variant of the LS28.

• Like 1