Keen to get opinions on my setup

Hi,

I’ve recently upgraded my 5.1 home theater setup & keen to hear tips/opinions  on my receiver/speakers & what could be improved or changed to better match. Im always on the lookout for better gear.

Thanks in advance.

My current setup:

Receiver: Marantz slim NR1510

Fronts: B&W 685 (s1)

Center: Polk CS20 (quite a beast, looking at picking up a B&W LCR60 S3 soon instead, perhaps will match better too)

Sub: Jamo SUB210. kept the jamo as it does an ok job.

Surrounds: Polk S10

9B284692-2E73-4553-84B1-19247FE30927.jpeg

Edited by Magookas

55 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

a projector?

Sorry, meant opinions on the speakers/receiver. A projector would be great, but out of the question as we dont have the space. Cant go 7.1 or atmos for the same reason.

Better speaker cables if you are using thin cheap ones.

Right speaker is too close to wall, space it out although you are locked in due to TV position. Toe speakers in towards listener.

Large rug on floor for sound damping.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Magookas said:

what could be improved

Elevate the tweeters to ear height (if not already)

Elevate the centre to match the tweeters in the L/R

Carefully run Audyssey, and make use of Dynamic Volume/EQ features

Add a second subwoofer

Rearrange the room so the boundaries are symmetrical

Don't sit close to a rear wall and/or your surround speakers

Obviously the last few aren't practical for many people (space, etc).

sorry mate, there were no pics when i posted so can now see pj wont work.

why change the centre? it has 2x 6.5" woofers, the smallest you should have for ht imo.

lots of wood under speakers and sub so the whites pads are a good/cheap choice. i use under everything touching wood.

as suggested raise the speakers and if need be point slightly down to your seated ear level. higher up will bring front sound more in line with the tv screen.

2nd sub behind your seating will add a lot.

24 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

why change the centre? it has 2x 6.5" woofers, the smallest you should have for ht imo.

2nd sub behind your seating will add a lot.

Thanks for the tips. 
for the center, do you think not timbre matching is a problem though? By my ear they sound fine together as they are but then again Ive never had decent timbre matched fronts/center before so have nothing to compare against.

Yeah Ive thought about a 2nd sub, but never behind us though? Thats an interesting one. Isnt it more traditionally left & right sub or does this not really matter? (Not that we’ve got space for it on the right anyway).

Edited by Magookas

I 2nd Muon*'s advice with the pads under the speakers.

Even though that cabinet you have the speakers on looks pretty solid, the speakers will probably be vibrating the top like a piano soundboard, either mudding the sound at best, or rattling on the top when the volume hits a certain level.

Since the pads are so cheap, I'd opt to buying several packs and sticking 2 or 3 layers of them under the speakers.

I use Vibrapods under my speakers that are on stands

The ideal is having a speaker free standing in space, so decoupling the speaker from what it's sitting on is the next best thing.

• Like 1

Guest niterida
7 hours ago, Magookas said:

for the center, do you think not timbre matching is a problem though? By my ear they sound fine together as they are but then again Ive never had decent timbre matched fronts/center before so have nothing to compare against.

My motto is "What the ears hear not the heart craves not". If it sounds good as it is do not go and listen to timbre matched or identical LCR speakers because you will likely want to upgrade and if it sounds good to you already then that is what is important. 

In other words, Yes timbre-matched or identical speakers will sound better.

I have had 2 different setups with nearly identical speakers and each time I changed them out to identical speakers it sounded much better, even when the original already sounded seamless.

On 04/07/2020 at 10:35 AM, Al.M said:

Better speaker cables if you are using thin cheap ones.

Thanks for the tips. Any recommendations on cable that wont break the bank? Ive got decent cable for my fronts but would just need it for my center & surrounds.

13 hours ago, Magookas said:

Thanks for the tips. Any recommendations on cable that wont break the bank? Ive got decent cable for my fronts but would just need it for my center & surrounds.

Whatever you are ok to spend $4-20/m cable, thickish gauge from Bunnings, Jaycar, Altronics etc. Search here for Bunnings electrical cable.

I like https://www.classaaudio.com.au/speaker-cable/342-van-den-hul-skyline-hybrid-loudspeaker-cable.html

There are cheaper options around but this is double insulated. It's 14AWG so good to about 24m in length for 8ohm speakers. You could probably get a better price if you get bulk.

Edit:

https://store.cliff.com.au/speaker-cable/46-canare-4s11-speaker-cable.html

Another option

Edited by gwurb
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Magookas said: