buying 2nd hand VPL-VW500ES or Epson EH-TW9400

Hi all 

I need to decide between buying 2nd hand Sony VPL-VW500ES with 400hrs lamp life or a new  Epson EH-TW9400 ( which need to order as it seems not available)

price for Sony VPL-VW500ES  is $1200 more than new  Epson EH-TW9400... I appreciate if you let me have your inputs .

Regards

Mason

The Sony could be up to 6.5 years old, or a lot newer. Is the seller able to provide some evidence of its age. Lamp life is not a reliable indicator, as it may be on its third or more lamp.

However, if the Sony isn't too old, I'd be tempted if it was $5K or less as your post suggests. Suggest you check the image for convergence and also look for any evidence of loss of contrast (some Sonys have experienced significant loss of contrast, particularly if in humid environments).

The Epson is faux 4K, but this model has had really good optics and obviously will have warranty support.

• Like 1

500es came out in 2013 ? prior to release of the uhd format. it didn't support HDR or WCG spending so much on something that can't handle full bandwidth hdmi seems a odd choice. and its a strange comparison this one. though i dont think sony fitted full bandwidth hdmi till 570es. epson was similar with the 9300 with limited bandwidth it was the 9400 model brought full bandwidth. this is a consideration if planning to use with uhd blu-ray or hook up to streaming where much of it can be 4k 50/60 also theres gaming....

personally id say look at more recent models in sony/jvc if comparing with the epson. a good choice vs epson would be xx000 jvc which i would pick over epson for pure picture quality, but yes price and warranty would be a factor and jvc hardly ever come up....sounds like you can't get an epson either or is it the particular retailer that you are dealing with... that take your money and have no stock ? 

• Like 1

The 500ES is ancient now. Don't get sucked in by the amount of pixels. A 2K projector with a good lens will destroy a 4K projector with an ordinary lens. 

4K projector with average lens means you don't really have a 4K projector. If lens is not up to the task then I'd forget it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

500es came out in 2013 ? prior to release of the uhd format. it didn't support HDR or WCG spending so much on something that can't handle full bandwidth hdmi seems a odd choice. and its a strange comparison this one. though i dont think sony fitted full bandwidth hdmi till 570es. epson was similar with the 9300 with limited bandwidth it was the 9400 model brought full bandwidth. this is a consideration if planning to use with uhd blu-ray or hook up to streaming where much of it can be 4k 50/60 also theres gaming....

personally id say look at more recent models in sony/jvc if comparing with the epson. a good choice vs epson would be xx000 jvc which i would pick over epson for pure picture quality, but yes price and warranty would be a factor and jvc hardly ever come up....sounds like you can't get an epson either or is it the particular retailer that you are dealing with... that take your money and have no stock ? 

Thanks for the comment...I thought my post about my unpleasant experience with recent shop was not where I posted it , I thought I never posted it but it seems you read that :) actually he is offering me something so Epson 9400 is a possibility now ...also the sony is $6k  and I really cant spend more than this so perhaps the Epson 9400 might be a better choice for me 

5 hours ago, oztheatre said:

The 500ES is ancient now. Don't get sucked in by the amount of pixels. A 2K projector with a good lens will destroy a 4K projector with an ordinary lens. 

4K projector with average lens means you don't really have a 4K projector. If lens is not up to the task then I'd forget it.

Thanks a lot, didnt know that ...so how is the Epson 9400 Lens? is it good?

Just now, Mason Safari said:

Thanks a lot, didnt know that ...so how is the Epson 9400 Lens? is it good?

The epson lens array is quite excellent. Better than most or all JVC's I've had apart from the X7500 from 3-4 years ago which was as good or maybe a fraction better.. I might have gotten lucky but I sell a lot of 9400's and people who own them are very happy with the lens. The only 2 machines that I've seen with better lenses in the past 5 years were high lumen 16,000$ benQ installation projectors, and it wasn't by that much either. The Epson is a stellar machine for the money. I don't see anything under a good working JVC N5 besting it and that's nearly double the price.

The 500es had a good lens I remember this model well, it was from there onward they dropped in quality. They are trying to get the differences down to around 3% but I don't think they are. Couriers don't help either bumping them about. 

JVC X5500, X7500 or X9500 may come up 2nd hand, but warranty of course needs to be considered.

• Like 2

I have a 9400 and think that bang for buck it’s pretty hard to beat. The only other projector I’ve had was an X9900 which I also liked but for my needs, I actually prefer the Epson. As the saying goes, YMMV.

• Like 1

With jvc 9900 or any xx00 or for matter the epsons 9300 or 9400. I’d factor in decent setup config and if needed self/pro calibration. These really need it to get beyond out of box. Sadly something I don’t see enough doing and won’t be enjoying best these things capable off. 

I probably should have had my 9900 calibrated but I worked out that my eyes prefer a brighter image so I figured I was going to lose too much brightness with that unit.

I will do a calibration using spears and Munsil on my 9400 once I clock up the hours. I bought the light meter  that you suggested months back (I think it was you) and the spears and munsil UHD disc arrived the other day. 

Edited by flamjam

9 minutes ago, flamjam said:

I probably should have had my 9900 calibrated but I worked out that my eyes prefer a brighter image so I figured I was going to lose too much brightness with that unit.

theres only a 20% difference in lumens and you can gain that with the jvc not using its filter, keeping in mind the epson go pretty whacko in colours when crank right up in anywise.... regardless both I think would benefit with calibration, the jvc especially with a curve to suit a calibrator worth salt would do would still have an example of a premier projector many are holding onto ! 

11 minutes ago, flamjam said:

will do a calibration using spears and Munsil on my 9400 once I clock up the hours. I bought the light meter  that you suggested months back (I think it was you) and the spears and munsil UHD disc arrived the other day. 

definitely will get you basics. but what have seen of the epson between calibrated vs not...definitely could benefit with a calibration a pro one if can manage :) 

• Like 1