SOLD: FS: Tannoy Berkeley HPD385 15” dual concentric

SOLD
Item Condition: Immaculate
Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.
Suburb or Town: Richmond
State: Victoria
Payment Method: Cash, EFT (Oslo), PayPal friends
Reason for selling: Need something smaller

Further information:

This is a fantastic pair of Tannoy Berkeley’s featuring the famous HPD385 15” dual concentric driver. This pair are in absolutely immaculate condition, the cabinets are free of any dings or dents and the frets are like new. This pair is in deep rosewood colour with brown frets. I purchased them two years ago from a fellow Stereonet member who had purchased them from the original owner in Kew only months prior, making me the third owner.

You can see a number of different posts on stereonet where I have provided advice/info on these units. As a 40 year old speaker they were in need of some TLC and a few updates to bring their performance up a few levels. The work carried out on these was quite extensive but always with the goal of preserving as much of the original look and character as possible. 

• The woofer surrounds were replaced just over 2 years ago with originals sourced in the UK, drivers professionally aligned.
  • Crossovers recapped with Solen Fast caps and all switches cleaned by SpeakerBits.
  • Tweeter gaps cleaned and HF/LF drivers correctly aligned and HF driver output matched between the two drivers by SpeakerBits. Most of these were poorly aligned at the factory and with such a point source accurate speaker, variances of driver output are quite noticeable.
  • HF section capacitors in crossover upgraded to Mundorf Evo Oil Capacitors (4.6uf, 3.3uf and 1.5uf capacitors) which reduces distortion in the HF unit at the crossover point smoothing out the response.
  • The rear binding posts were upgraded to high quality gold units which accept banana plugs.
  • The internal wiring from the binding posts to crossover replaced with Ortofon Reference SPK-200 cable with gold spade connectors on the crossovers.
  • Custom 20cm high stands fabricated in satin black with sand filled legs to bring tweeters up to ear height and improve bass and imaging.

I wasn’t really expecting to part with these in my lifetime as I doubt it would be easy to find another pair in this condition with all this work completed which takes time, patience and money. My partner and I recently purchased a new apartment with a much larger open plan living space but much smaller TV/audio area and these simply don’t work in the space we have available. 

I have auditioned many speakers in my life and few present the life-like scale and richness of HPD385 based Tannoys. These are great for a critical listening session or low level listening with a glass of red or scotch late at night, I have enjoyed my time with them but now they must make way for a more ‘modern’ and ‘slimmer’ substitute. 

Audition is available and pickup from Richmond in Melbourne. I don’t have the means to pack and transport these unfortunately. 

Photos:

See below

Also some videos of these in action below:

8B6ECA73-F841-440E-82A2-A88C1BA335C3.jpeg

7325D67B-E153-4CF1-BB28-844FB20AFFE7.jpeg

2B9B464F-0FF0-4645-B87C-7273EA48415A.jpeg

40C5B880-A0E9-4D3D-A0CB-F3AC3CE01A89.jpeg

92BA2C0F-29E4-4FE9-AE5F-FDB298CFE3AF.jpeg

881A940A-71ED-45E7-9DD3-9B5021608768.jpeg

5179ACB0-9E3F-498B-B0F3-A392C467D602.jpeg

22A2874C-59A7-4E2A-B6AD-8442E619B115.jpeg

010AEEAB-6310-428A-9FA0-9EC49FFCC03C.jpeg

E8EE3BC7-D0C8-44EB-8EE2-000D1AA7A93A.jpeg

BDAC3B41-C132-43C3-AF79-21C219D9BCBC.jpeg

67A37BDF-BA69-4A18-A53D-77D77AE5B9C3.jpeg

Edited by astormsau
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Willmax said:

Stunning speakers, can't believe you are letting them go... if it was me I'd speak to Aramar and get a taller/slender/modern cabinet made to suit your setup and re-use the drivers.

Thanks I did consider that option but have decided against it and will move on to something different and much smaller :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, andrei said:

These are beautiful speakers and exceptional conditions by the looks of it...it is a  pity they are pick up only...GLWS...

Sorry I can’t ship them. Maybe someone in SNA could assist you. 

when you consider a pair of new arden's is $12000 and a pair of new cheviot's is $9500 and the Berkeley sat between these two in the original Tannoy range, And to mention the new legacy series have the tulip waveguide not the pepperpot like the hpd's , the pepperpot waveguide now starts in the range at the Kensingtons and for the 15 the Canterbury.....and there we are talking 40k .....looks like these berkeley's are priced very well considering they present as perfect examples 

GLWS , someone with the right room and equipment will be stoked ?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Willmax said:

Stunning speakers, can't believe you are letting them go... if it was me I'd speak to Aramar and get a taller/slender/modern cabinet made to suit your setup and re-use the drivers.

Origanal is always better. Its got that retro look plus tannoy have spent a lot of time in the design of the speaker.

Edited by audiohifiaudio
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lx4man said:

when you consider a pair of new arden's is $12000 and a pair of new cheviot's is $9500 and the Berkeley sat between these two in the original Tannoy range, And to mention the new legacy series have the tulip waveguide not the pepperpot like the hpd's , the pepperpot waveguide now starts in the range at the Kensingtons and for the 15 the Canterbury.....and there we are talking 40k .....looks like these berkeley's are priced very well considering they present as perfect examples 

GLWS , someone with the right room and equipment will be stoked ?

Very true ?

27 minutes ago, audiohifiaudio said:

Origanal is always better. Its got that retro look plus tannoy have spent a lot of time in the design of the speaker.

I agree and that is my preference too, just thought it could be an option if one's not happy with the original looks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Willmax said:

The large baffle-board is an integral part of these older Tannoy designs & is an important component in the sound reproduction mechanism. If a narrower board is used, they will sound quite different.

• Like 1

Nice, I am so close I can almost hear them from my house ? (Richmond Vic as well).  I would love a second system built on something like these but space and timing (SIGH)

The most alarming part for me was reading .

Most of these were poorly aligned at the factory

For other Tannoy purchasers that is, as you have obviously had this corrected. Actually I find it quite disturbing.

Edited by Cichlabxr

I heard these Drew when I purchased your other turntable last year and they are sublime sounding and condition is immaculate. It will be a very lucky person who purchases these. I also wish I had the room.

I hope you don’t regret it.
Maybe make nice bedside tables?

GLWS

• Like 1