Sony makes me sad

From Whathifi:

After a gap year Sony came back fighting, with all the specs boxes duly ticked this time. The addition of Dolby Atmos – as well as other cutting-edge features – makes the STR-DN1080 a complete AVR package for a now eye-openingly low price of just £429 ($500, AU$1749).

Do those numbers seem right? Wtf is going on with Sony Australia? I know there is always a discrepancy but that is massive.

Was thinking about surround sound, but might just stick with some high quality stereo methinks, and something other than Sony...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonesy said:

From Whathifi:

After a gap year Sony came back fighting, with all the specs boxes duly ticked this time. The addition of Dolby Atmos – as well as other cutting-edge features – makes the STR-DN1080 a complete AVR package for a now eye-openingly low price of just £429 ($500, AU$1749).

Do those numbers seem right? Wtf is going on with Sony Australia? I know there is always a discrepancy but that is massive.

Me thinks it is called price gouging .....

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

there would be better AVR brands, not to suggest other brands dont gouge as well....

yeah might have to do some more research. If we take a risk re warranty and buy internationally are there any specific recommendations? Will have a search of the forums I guess.

no doubt Sony aren't paying tax in Australia either, shifting it all to Singapore or Ireland or something like that.

3 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

yeah might have to do some more research. If we take a risk re warranty and buy internationally are there any specific recommendations? Will have a search of the forums I guess.

no doubt Sony aren't paying tax in Australia either, shifting it all to Singapore or Ireland or something like that.

I wouldn’t recommend a Grey import on avr. If money is at pinch just buy 2nd hand or on run out or something on special. You don’t need latest greatest most things from 2016 will do what most want ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

From Whathifi:

Was thinking about surround sound, but might just stick with some high quality stereo methinks, and something other than Sony...

The really sad thing about the POS STR-DN1080 is that it's maximum power consumption is a puny 240W. Now apply 70% efficiency for class A/B amplification leaves a max 168W - divide that by 7 channels leaves a pathetic 24W per channel.

How the mighty have fallen.

• Like 1