Ollie,  I have read all the comments about and all these have there merits, however really the only answer to your lack of punch and bass from your bookshelf speakers firing into a 8X4m room is:  Just add sub-woofer or get bigger speakers.  You'll need a USB DAC to get the best out or system.   Schiit do a nice one that you can buy direct from their website for 99USD plus shipping,  sounds great and will provide a major improvement, you can get cheaper ones, though they never have the resale and just end up in land fill.  Move your speakers further apart in the mean time, you might be cancelling out some bass doing having them to close.  And if you buy same bread get the bread board or use an old text book.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

Guest rmpfyf
21 minutes ago, StuDog78 said:

Just a though have you checked that the speaker are wired up correctly black to black red to red.  (positive to negative).

This is solid advice - we all missed it

32 minutes ago, StuDog78 said:

Ollie,  I have read all the comments about and all these have there merits, however really the only answer to your lack of punch and bass from your bookshelf speakers firing into a 8X4m room is:  Just add sub-woofer or get bigger speakers. 

That'll push things lower but won't change the room dynamic... if anything new issues (there will be lower freq response tho)

32 minutes ago, StuDog78 said:

Schiit do a nice one that you can buy direct from their website for 99USD plus shipping,  sounds great and will provide a major improvement, you can get cheaper ones, though they never have the resale and just end up in land fill.

Wouldn't say that - there's quite a few with a solid rep. Could sell my D10's for what I paid for them tomorrow.

Schiit's got a brand but the Modi, whilst not being quite schiit, wouldn't suggest it's a pick of 'em.

The winner is the cheapest one going second hand :D 

19 hours ago, StuDog78 said:

Just a though have you checked that the speaker are wired up correctly black to black red to red.  (positive to negative).

yeah ive checked them 3 times hahaha

You've more then likely have, but have you tried difference inputs eg. other then your computer trying a phone for a test?  Plus have you tried different inputs eg. Aux, CD, Tape at the rear of the amp??  Some times on an old amp some inputs can be a little funny as can the speaker outs, have you tried both the A and B outputs?  Plus I noticed that your amp has direct "pure" modes and an equaliser behind the front panel have you tried playing around with them?

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, StuDog78 said:

You've more then likely have, but have you tried difference inputs eg. other then your computer trying a phone for a test?  Plus have you tried different inputs eg. Aux, CD, Tape at the rear of the amp??  Some times on an old amp some inputs can be a little funny as can the speaker outs, have you tried both the A and B outputs?  Plus I noticed that your amp has direct "pure" modes and an equaliser behind the front panel have you tried playing around with them?

yeah i actually haven't tried different ports except for phono but only briefly and ity was fine. Could i use an rca to aux in the ports in the back that arent the aux. eg like the cd port? Also i was going to make a post about this but i might just ask you because you seem very knowledgeable. When i first got the speakers i was playing a song, using my ipad (using rca to aux  from amp) and using youtube to play  the song (long story but didn't have a streaming app on my ipad at the time lol) Anyways like halfway through the song the music sort of cut out and then the woofers started pumping onb one of the speakers and one of them pulled itself in ,  and stayed there for a few seconds. I turned the amp off because it scared me lol. I then played the same video again and it happened again so i assumed that the aux port on my ipad was dodgy or something. Anyway fast forward until now (like almost 2 weeks later) i tested the aux port on my ipad with another pair of headphones on the same song and it was all fine. So ive been worrying what could have caused this and if it potentially damaged my speakers lol. They sound amazing and ive done lots of sound tests etc and they work perfectly in sync and sound perfect to me (The reason they didnt have punch before was because i hadnt put them up on stands, which ive done now) Anyway that was the only weird thing that has happened so far. Until this morning i played a song with the same aux but plugged into my laptop and for a few seconds at the start the right speaker was quiet compared to the other speaker and was staticky, then after a few seconds it went back to normal and have been fine today. Also this speaker that was being dodgy is the right speaker and the first incident it was predominantly the left one... is it normal for speakers to do this every now and again or should i be worried? would love youre opinion sorry for the paragraph. Ill also add ive checked my wiring 3 times, and my actual speaker wire is good quality , 16 gauge anti static insulated etc. So yeah do u have any ideas of what it could be and should i be worried? these are the only two things that have happened out of the ordinary in the last 2 weeks... cheers

I'm no expert but sounds like the amps "clipping"?  Have a quick Google/You-tube and see if that's what seems to be happened.  It's basically when the amp is over driven and the signal sent to the speakers which is a wave form is flatten/clipped at the peeks and then overdrives the speaker.  This can indeed damage your speaker and the coil with in.  I would keep an eye on it if it does it again I would say there my be an issue with the amp not the source? Other members here would have better knowledge on this then me,  I have not had an amp do that to me before.  When playing music over a phone or iPad via an analogue output you should have the volume pretty high on the phone so the amp is not doing to much work to amplify the signal this might help if the amps clipping.  

Edited by StuDog78
My rubbish grammar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, StuDog78 said:

I'm no expert but sounds like the amps "clipping"?  Have a quick Google/You-tube and see if that's what seems to be happened.  It's basically when the amp is over driven and the signal sent to the speakers which is a wave form is flatten/clipped at the peeks and then overdrives the speaker.  This can indeed damage your speaker and the coil with in.  I would keep an eye on it if it does it again I would say there my be an issue with the amp not the source? Other members here would have better knowledge on this then me,  I have not had an amp do that to me before.  When playing music over a phone or iPad via an analogue output you should have the volume pretty high on the phone so the amp is not doing to much work to amplify the signal this might help if the amps clipping.  

okay thank you, ill make a post and get others opinion. cheers

13 minutes ago, StuDog78 said:

When playing music over a phone or iPad via an analogue output you should have the volume pretty high on the phone so the amp is not doing to much work to amplify the signal this might help if the amps clipping.  

No, this is the opposite. Some outputs are too high voltage for some amplifiers and they clip with them. You cannot make an amplifier clip with too low a signal.

58 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

No, this is the opposite. Some outputs are too high voltage for some amplifiers and they clip with them. You cannot make an amplifier clip with too low a signal.

Yeah that makes sense I stand corrected.  That my be his issue then?

1 minute ago, StuDog78 said:

Yeah that makes sense I stand corrected.  That my be his issue then?

Not the way he described it. Sounds more like a period of DC coming out of his amplifier for some reason.

20 hours ago, Ollie_H_ said:

yeah i actually haven't tried different ports except for phono but only briefly and ity was fine. Could i use an rca to aux in the ports in the back that arent the aux. eg like the cd port? Also i was going to make a post about this but i might just ask you because you seem very knowledgeable. When i first got the speakers i was playing a song, using my ipad (using rca to aux  from amp) and using youtube to play  the song (long story but didn't have a streaming app on my ipad at the time lol) Anyways like halfway through the song the music sort of cut out and then the woofers started pumping onb one of the speakers and one of them pulled itself in ,  and stayed there for a few seconds. I turned the amp off because it scared me lol. I then played the same video again and it happened again so i assumed that the aux port on my ipad was dodgy or something. Anyway fast forward until now (like almost 2 weeks later) i tested the aux port on my ipad with another pair of headphones on the same song and it was all fine. So ive been worrying what could have caused this and if it potentially damaged my speakers lol. They sound amazing and ive done lots of sound tests etc and they work perfectly in sync and sound perfect to me (The reason they didnt have punch before was because i hadnt put them up on stands, which ive done now) Anyway that was the only weird thing that has happened so far. Until this morning i played a song with the same aux but plugged into my laptop and for a few seconds at the start the right speaker was quiet compared to the other speaker and was staticky, then after a few seconds it went back to normal and have been fine today. Also this speaker that was being dodgy is the right speaker and the first incident it was predominantly the left one... is it normal for speakers to do this every now and again or should i be worried? would love youre opinion sorry for the paragraph. Ill also add ive checked my wiring 3 times, and my actual speaker wire is good quality , 16 gauge anti static insulated etc. So yeah do u have any ideas of what it could be and should i be worried? these are the only two things that have happened out of the ordinary in the last 2 weeks... cheers

It sounds like your AUX cable is damaged. EIther that or the headphone port on your laptop or the AUX-in port on the amp. The cable is the most likely culprit out of those. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, d3ft said:

It sounds like your AUX cable is damaged. EIther that or the headphone port on your laptop or the AUX-in port on the amp. The cable is the most likely culprit out of those. 

okay thanks, I think ill buy a new one today... Do you know if  can use a different port on the amp to play aux? like use the cd port for aux? or is that a bad idea?

Just now, Ollie_H_ said:

okay thanks, I think ill buy a new one today... Do you know if  can use a different port on the amp to play aux? like use the cd port for aux? or is that a bad idea?

Anything except phono should be fine. I very much doubt the amp port is the issue though.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure what you plan to use to feed the DAC, and how Budget, budget is, but I recently added an iFi ZEN DAC to my PC. The Zen only has USB input, no optical or SPDIF.  This cost me NZ$250 and has both headphone and RCA outputs, so you can use it as the input to an amplifier.  You can choose to switch the RCA outputs so that they bypass the volume control. The DAC is powered directly from the USB input, so you don't need a separate power supply.  But to somewhat improve the sound quality I purchased, a separate iFi iPower X, which added another NZ$200, but it wasn't mandatory.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

On 01/07/2020 at 1:00 PM, Ollie_H_ said:

yeah im thinking of making some stands... 

Also would strongly suggest putting the speakers on some dedicated stands. If you can't then I'd invest in some decent isolation between them and the furniture you've got them on. Don't bother with a DAC. It won't make a difference.

• Like 1