Sign in to follow this  
JD1

Musical Fidelity or Xindak

Posted (edited)

At present have a MF M6 preamp running into a Xindak A600 being used as a power amp. It is a 160 watt AB biased 30 watt class A. Wondering if I will get an improvement switching to a M6 PRX musical fidelity. The MF will probably have a bit more grunt. Realise that maybe not a lot have heard the Xindak so may be a tough call to make.

Thanks

Edited by JD1

What speakers are you using? If they're on the esoteric side, do you need more power?

They are Bose 901. Went ahead and ordered the amp so will find out one way or another. They are very power hungry due to the equaliser. The Xindak does seem to run them nicely but don't want to die not knowing if there is something better out there.

Edited by JD1

12 hours ago, JD1 said:

but don't want to die not knowing if there is something better out there.

That attitude is going to get very expensive for you 🤣🤣

On 01/07/2020 at 8:24 AM, JD1 said:

At present have a MF M6 preamp running into a Xindak A600 being used as a power amp. It is a 160 watt AB biased 30 watt class A. Wondering if I will get an improvement switching to a M6 PRX musical fidelity. The MF will probably have a bit more grunt. Realise that maybe not a lot have heard the Xindak so may be a tough call to make.

Thanks

Havnt heard either so just speculating that the MF power amp seems to sell for $4k new, weighs about 23kg and MF has a reputation for good sounding amps.

The Xindak integrated amp seems to be worth around $6k new, weighs 53kg and although doesnt have MF reputation is among China’s better quality products. 

I have Xindak 8800 mono power amps and they are very good and keep up with many other good amp brands.

I would be speculating the comparatively modest built MF (first pic below) may not be a great deal better than the Bohemith Xindak. There are many other brands amps to consider if you are wondering what you may be missing out on like Krell, more MFs, Bryston, Passlabs, Accuphase etc.

What you may be missing out on potentially is a beautifully voiced, detailed and great imaging amp but will need trial and error matching of several with your speakers to find one.

CD055C40-F803-44C0-801B-E747ED592512.jpeg

18259AA8-D93C-4FD7-AE09-D367904CB53E.jpeg

Edited by Al.M

Thanks for the informative reply AIM. The Xindak is a well built amp I agree. I think the integrated is a similar build to the mono blocks. Living in what could be called a remote place as far as Hifi shops are concerned does make it hard to hear anything without several hundred ks travel. I may well have made a bad choice but this passion is about trying to improve the sound of the music we hear. Have much enjoyed the sound of the Xindak. Nice rich warm sound to my cheap uneducated old ears. The next step if required may have to be in the second hand market.

I owned a pair of Bose 901's as my first pair of speakers and lived with them for 20 years, they became a bit impractical once I had kids as the stand is not particularly friendly and didn't have the space to wall mount them.  But, I had a great time with that speaker and terrorised the neighbours for years with them, also learnt that unit blocks are NOT the place for music lovers who like a bit of volume.

The active equaliser interacts with the pre-amp section of your integrated amp, they have a high power rating due to there original development as a professional audio speaker.  As they came out of professional audio I always thought they paired well with a rugged power supply heavy amplifier.  They run smallish full range drivers that give the speaker a presentation that is inherently fast, detailed and capable of high spl.  Looking at the two pictures above I would agree with @Al.M  just look at that capacitor bank and think reserves of current from a rugged power supply.

My comments take into account the age of the design.

Good luck with your new amp hope you enjoy the journey.

Edited by davothecavo

On 09/07/2020 at 6:24 AM, JD1 said:

They are Bose 901. Went ahead and ordered the amp so will find out one way or another. They are very power hungry due to the equaliser. The Xindak does seem to run them nicely but don't want to die not knowing if there is something better out there.

Imho get rid of the Bose and buy something better.