Secondhand prices of Oppo 205.

I guess we are all conditioned to Accept that everything we buy in HiFi is going to dramatically devalue instantly we walk out of the shop. Great for secondhand buyers, not so great for the original new buyers who have become sellers. 

Here we finally have a bit of gear in the Oppo 205 that has gone up in price because it is no longer available and it is still the best in field at what it does and yet so many people are of the opinion that anyone asking market price, which is usually higher than the original RRP is being greedy and it is not unusual for sellers of 205’s to be mocked and put down. Personally I think that is a load of selfish bollocks by those who had a chance to buy a 205 when they were new and are grumpy that they never did and are now angry that someone has the audacity to actually ask market price.
Just a reminder no one is forcing anyone to pay more than RRP for a 205, if you don’t want to pay the asking price then buy something else.

Having said that ’ll approach this from a different angle, Wouldn’t it be great if HiFi gear didn’t depreciate 40% instantly, as most does as soon as you walk out the door. If it kept closer to it’s original RRP, as some popular gear does, then it would be a lot easier for all of us to update to new gear on a regular basis. But no many of us would rather complain and point fingers at those who were smart and purchased the one good news story for buyers of new HiFi / HT gear because it has gone up in value rather than collapsed in price.
What a sad state of affairs that many of us whinge because finally a bit of gear went up in value.

regards,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yeah, classic gear or that which is perceived as such holds value and sometimes goes up.

I think It's a double edged sword really, if values held that requires buyers to pay closer to RRP and that means more funds required for purchase, so would it indeed make it easier?

I guess it depends on individual incomes and what % is disposable of it.

Would help the new kit buyers, or would it? will used kit buyers pay close to RRP for used, or would they wait a week or two and buy new? Would it actually make for difficult to dispose of.

People like supply & demand when there is an oversupply and price drops in their favour. However, where demand exceeds supply e.g. Oppo 205, prices go up and this gets up a few people.  Not sure why they need to abuse people and I would like to see the moderators take action.

As for your idea of gear not depreciating as much, I cannot see this happening because it will require a managed market. There are countless examples of managed markets starting off with good intentions and then abused to the detriment of the consumer.

Why change a market dynamic that is working? There will always be people who will buy new, for newest features, warranty etc.  A large drop in value after purchase does not appear to be a factor stopping the purchase. There are others who look for value, waiting for sales and looking at used.

Let the market reign and it will find an equilibrium that satisfies most people most of the time.  Walk away if not satisfied...

• 2 weeks later...

They are great. For me it meant I didn't have to deal with an AVR and use it as my prepro which is my favourite aspect. 

But despite all their reviews the best sound comes from sending the 0s and 1s out the coax to one of Gieseler Audio's DACs.

And their Android phone app for the 205 never worked properly and has been dropped from the Google App store. Apple app works fine. 

Bought a 205 the day after the discontinuation was announced. Figured they'd go up (and needed one anyway), just like Panasonic Plasma did which also doubled when plasma was no longer sold and LED wasn't 4k yet.  A local Sydney hifi store resold Panasonic Plasma as premium for double retail price about a month after I bought one on the discounted run out sale from Bing Lee. 

Edited by DrSK

I have an Oppo 205 which I will be selling in August , I have seen the prices in the USA which are absolutely ludicrous , up to USD$4k , I'm trying to figure out what to advertise it for , I can't even remember what I paid for it .

2 hours ago, Chris Launder said:

I have an Oppo 205 which I will be selling in August , I have seen the prices in the USA which are absolutely ludicrous , up to USD$4k , I'm trying to figure out what to advertise it for , I can't even remember what I paid for it .

They were $2200 here. But all Oppos have gone up since discontinued. Even the older basic ones have doubled in second hand market closer to their new price. 

205s and 105s seem to be selling second hand for more than the new price. 

3 minutes ago, DrSK said:

They were $2200 here. But all Oppos have gone up since discontinued. Even the older basic ones have doubled in second hand market closer to their new price. 

205s and 105s seem to be selling second hand for more than the new price. 

There is a guy in Japan asking Aud$9k on Ebay , LOL .

• Haha 1

For a recent example, you don't have to look far.

A Oppo 205 was listed in the classifieds just last week.   

Asking price was $2500. 

Took 2 days to sell.

Edited by Jeffwbrown
  • Like 1

Interesting topic.

I had an Oppo 203 and needed to purchase a CD player.  I was looking about and considering options etc, read in many reviews the 205 was a very capable CD player, DAC amongst other capabilities it had  and had the same great 4k BluRay player function as the 203.

This was around the time of the announcement.  I contacted the store I'd bought a few things from in the past and secured one.  The way I saw it was that it provided a simple one item answer to my needs - and I was already familiar with part of it.

We now have the 203 in one room where my daughter/wife tend to sit and the 205 in the other where I reside mostly LOL. 

Anyway, I think if you work out the cost of a decent 4k BluRay player, a CD/player or transport capable of SACD, headphone amp, a decent separate DAC and the opiton that it can be used as pre/pro the cost is pretty quickly adding up.  It's that reason I think people are happy to pay RRP or more for the 205.

The other reason maybe people are offput by the current asking prices is they didnt pounce quick enough when the opportunity was there OR and I hate to go here, but the fact its not vintage or boutique brand and still has enough fanship to return good 2nd hand money in a market corner where new stuff tends to depreciate pretty quickly might also burn some folk out there. 

Ultimately, like many things - if deleted/out of production and no longer available but had solid demand people will want one and be happy to pay.

I personally cannot see any reason to move mine on, i've done the Gatti Audio multi region upgrade and capacitor upgrade, its a sensational unit that does so much well that I can understand people wanting one and IF someone wants to ask more than RRP with a willing buyer, good luck to them both, one person gets a great price for their item and the other gets a great product they were after no longer in production.  No one is injured and no laws are broken as far as I see it.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Chris Launder said:

Thanks everybody for your responses , I have a buyer lined up for when I am ready to sell in a couple of weeks , thanks again !

This has happened with some Primare kit in the UK.  Average price on the V25 (yes, DVD - but a cracking cd player and transport) has gone from £200 to over £350 in 6 months.  I paid £125 for mine, and am keeping it in preference to a high-end Helios One that I bought hoping to find an improvement.

It's all supply, demand and trends.  I can remember not so long ago before hipsters jumped on the vinyl bandwagon being able to buy second hand sl1200 mk 2's for under £100 a time.  Those days are looooong gone :(  Eventually the lumberjerks will move on to something else, and hopefully there'll be a glut of decent turntables to cherry pick ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...