Freight & Couriers - Shipping Hi-Fi

For Interstate transport i use a chap called Bill & his Big Ass Van. He primarily deals in the transport of Pinball & Arcade machines around Australia, but is very easy going & affordable.  The pinball market is very similar to that of stereo equipment - incredibly valuable (average machine is $10k) & condition & care  is paramount - he understands that &  respects that - he literally offers a pick up and drop off service - no depots. Once its in his van, it stays in that van until it gets to your place. The chances of damage and theft occur not on the road, but at "swapovers" at depots.  Just this week there were 5 pinbal machines stolen from a Neway depot with a value of $16k each.

Because of this though, it is not as quick. He starts his runs in Brisbane heads south to Melb via Sydney - goes through to Adelaide - then back the same way -  door to door. Total start and return time for him is 7-10 days for one cycle.

If the seller can take the care to wrap it prior to delivery, then it will arrive in the same condition. Had about 20 pinball machines picked up or dropped off by him & never had an issue. Prices ranged from $100 - $300

• Like 4

Melbourne's Sunshine Parcel Centre was in the middle of a Perth to Altona (Melbourne) delivery. Due to the spatio-temporal Australia Post vortex the parcel went from Sunshine to Sydney.

Twice.

It's not a swamp, it's a vortex, which hurls matter indiscriminately across the known universe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One company that should be avoided at all cost is Fastway. They are very slow and you will be  lucky to get your parcel if they haven't lost it.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, RCA said:

One company that should be avoided at all cost is Fastway. They are very slow and you will be  lucky to get your parcel if they haven't lost it.

1000 % agree.  They are total schiit.   Now they have been taken over by Aramex.

I had a delivery that was on the delivery truck last week, Mon and Tuesday.  No delivery. 

Go to their whatsapp customer service app - two hours later.  May I help you?

It eventually got delivered on Thursday. 

• Love 1

When I got a message from Amazon AU that my shipment was coming via Fastway a few months ago, I was worried. But it arrived just as quickly as other couriers. Would not be surprised that Amazon have strict metrics that keep Fastway in line...

3 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

When I got a message from Amazon AU that my shipment was coming via Fastway a few months ago, I was worried. But it arrived just as quickly as other couriers. Would not be surprised that Amazon have strict metrics that keep Fastway in line...

It could be just that you got lucky. The nature of crap service is governed by the laws of science (ie. statistical probability). Some shipments will be fine, others will go wayward. It's whether it's delayed 1% of the time, 10%, or more than 20%. It could be that Amazon have some sway, but hard to say at the end of the day what factor is contributing what. Individual experiences are discrete points, but the overall crappiness is a function of the statistical distribution of those points. 

• Like 1

I still dont know why Aramex brought this company and since they have taken over they don't seem to have done anything to improve it. The best parcel service is Star track express and if Australia Post leave it alone it will stay that way.

On 23/05/2021 at 10:49 PM, Dingbat said:

It could be just that you got lucky. The nature of crap service is governed by the laws of science (ie. statistical probability). Some shipments will be fine, others will go wayward. It's whether it's delayed 1% of the time, 10%, or more than 20%. It could be that Amazon have some sway, but hard to say at the end of the day what factor is contributing what. Individual experiences are discrete points, but the overall crappiness is a function of the statistical distribution of those points. 

No, it is not luck, nor a coincidence that Fastway do a good job for Amazon.  Getting a Fastway delivery from Amazon USA today (Tue), after clearing Sydney customs on Sun night.  It has now happened a few times, hence my belief that Amazon have delivery metrics that Fastway must and do comply.  Does not make them good for other deliveries, but for Amazon, Fastway are the same as other couriers. Makes me wonder why Fastway cannot improve their overall performance, which I agree is poor...

About 6 years ago, I ordered some disposable Vape pens from a company in Florida, US. at 11 pm on a Friday night and 7:30 am on the following Monday morning the DHL courier was knocking at my door - 2.5 days to go halfway around the Globe - would have to be some kind of record ! - Needless to say, I use DHL whenever possible

• Like 1

DHL is much slower since covid, and has had its fair share of complaints lately too. I have found FedEx and TNT to be the best value OS shipping over the last 12+ months. 

With TNT being bought up by FedEx their wait times through hubs like Singapore have dropped right down, during covid stuff could sit in SG for 7-10 days sometimes, waiting for a flight, now its 1-2 days on average. Plus all TNT depots are also FedEx now which makes life so easy with one less than 30 mins away!

EDIT: Seems FedEX are really pushing promotions, they are now cheaper out of Asia than TNT according to a supplier, so worth looking at if you need to bring heavy stuff in.

Edited by SonicArt
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

No, it is not luck, nor a coincidence that Fastway do a good job for Amazon.  Getting a Fastway delivery from Amazon USA today (Tue), after clearing Sydney customs on Sun night.  It has now happened a few times, hence my belief that Amazon have delivery metrics that Fastway must and do comply.  Does not make them good for other deliveries, but for Amazon, Fastway are the same as other couriers. Makes me wonder why Fastway cannot improve their overall performance, which I agree is poor...

From your observations, there does seem to be a pattern there. Rather bizarre though that when Fastway deliver for Amazon, they do it quickly, but otherwise, aren't that great. You would think they ought to behave in a consistent manner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2021 at 8:17 PM, Dingbat said:

From your observations, there does seem to be a pattern there. Rather bizarre though that when Fastway deliver for Amazon, they do it quickly, but otherwise, aren't that great. You would think they ought to behave in a consistent manner.

Maybe all Fastways energy and effort goes to fulfilling their Amazon contract, and offer customers may suffer cause of that?

• 2 weeks later...

Just gone through a major warranty claim and STARTRACK came through with flying colours moving the component to Melbourne from the Sunshine Coast in 48 hours. They currently have the replacement moving back to here by Friday. Happy camper here! The distributor NIRVANA SOUND really put the icing on the cake by rapidly assessing my claim, contacting the manufacturer in Denmark and offering a replacement. Wish I had bought from them in the first place!

Cheers

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 075Congo said:

Just gone through a major warranty claim and STARTRACK came through with flying colours moving the component to Melbourne from the Sunshine Coast in 48 hours. They currently have the replacement moving back to here by Friday. Happy camper here! The distributor NIRVANA SOUND really put the icing on the cake by rapidly assessing my claim, contacting the manufacturer in Denmark and offering a replacement. Wish I had bought from them in the first place!

Cheers

Nice to hear a positive story and get good feedback from people and companies doing things well.

On another note, I'd just recently ordered a HiFi item, it was shipped by TNT from interstate. It arrived the next day, and the tracking was pretty good. I'm extremely impressed. Just to add to the other positive reports mentioned on TNT here, and they're being acquired by Fedex.

• Like 1

Talking to Jason Ressler at the Cable Company and they will not use any other Courier but FEDEX and mainly for sheer reliability. Cost is high but in these COVID times speed and reliability are my preferred options. Wonder they don't buy Australia Post (StarTrack) as well as TNT.

• Like 1

Not about hi-fi.

I recently shipped a couple of small items to Russia with TNT 'cause AusPost had no service to there at all.

Issues that arose included: two completely different alphabets, two languages, and two completely incompatible address systems—resulting in a "we can't deliver" message from Moscow.:cry:

BUT, they continued trying and within two days had sorted all the issues, found the recipient, delivered the package, and in turn I received an email and a short video of thanks from the recipient.:smile:

I sent my congratulations and and thanks to TNT Moscow for a job "above and beyond".

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Here’s one for thread , I bought a CD via eBay from Greece. 

posted from Greece on the 22/6/21 , arrived yesterday 1/7/21  - 10 days .

so why does AUS post take the same time or longer to get a CD from Sydney to Perth 🤔🙄

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Here’s one for thread , I bought a CD via eBay from Greece. 

posted from Greece on the 22/6/21 , arrived yesterday 1/7/21  - 10 days .

so why does AUS post take the same time or longer to get a CD from Sydney to Perth 🤔🙄

Because they can!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

I have used TNT to send equipment from Buderim to Hamilton (NZ) ; no problem at all. Use the Interparcel website and you can use their "Instant Quote" option to check on the cost across a range of carriers. 

Just now, 075Congo said:

I have used TNT to send equipment from Buderim to Hamilton (NZ) ; no problem at all. Use the Interparcel website and you can use their "Instant Quote" option to check on the cost across a range of carriers. 

Do you need a TNT account?

Just used Interparcel to pick up a  mystery 5kg package (30x20x20cm) in Queenstown NZ and deliver it to me in Buderim. TNT Import Express was the cheapest at $166 of 3 different Companies; They reckon 4 days delivery. So I could buy something from a seller in NZ and arrange pickup and pay for it at the time I made a booking through Interparcel. 

Cheers

No need for a TNT Account; I think INTERPARCEL has a stable of providers (not FEDEX of course) When you book Interparcel prepares all the documentation (plus a Tracking Number) for the provider you select to book with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 10:34 AM, Snoopy8 said:

The best courier was StarTrack Express whose drivers look and act professionally and overnight service is superb e.g overnight Melbourne to Perth and a few days later after upgrade, back overnight.  Less than 18 hours from Melbourne to country NSW. ?️

I get a lot of IT equipment shipped to me from all over Australia, and I concur that StarTrack Express is the best of the lot. It's only slightly more expensive than AusPost or the others.

• Like 1