stil_nox

Yamaha NS-670 or JBL 4412A ?

Hi, I'm new to hi-fi and working on my first setup. 

I have a pro-ject recordmaster turntable and a sonos amp (because i want that flexibility), but i am moving towards older speakers. Yet to decide on a sub setup.

I'm choosing between the Yam 670s or the JBL 4412A's.

Keen to get thoughts from someone who knows a bit more than me!

Thx

DS

99% wil say JBL and i would agree but never heard them in person.  The yamaha 670 are a very underrated speaker though.  I would also expect the JBL to be 2-3x the price.

Guest jakeyb77
12 minutes ago, stil_nox said:

Hi, I'm new to hi-fi and working on my first setup. 

I have a pro-ject recordmaster turntable and a sonos amp (because i want that flexibility), but i am moving towards older speakers. Yet to decide on a sub setup.

I'm choosing between the Yam 670s or the JBL 4412A's.

Keen to get thoughts from someone who knows a bit more than me!

Thx

DS

Ha! Nice user name. 
They both have very good merit. 
I have a soft spot for both but I like the 4412. These speakers impressed me more than I thought they had any right to. Can you listen to them both? 
There is some 4412 for sale on Gumtree but they look pretty beat up. 
In any case, if you buy smart you can sell for the same price. It’s like trying for free 

Guest jakeyb77

In both cases make sure all the drivers are working as repair/replacement gets hard on obsolete items. 

Unsure how expensive the 670's are but $1000 is what I would consider a premium price for the 4412A's. For $1000 they would want to be absolutely mint. The vinyl cabinets of the 4412A don't handle knocks and bumps all that well. They are also littered with electrolytics while the older veneer 4412 had poly caps.

I would go the JBL's if I had the option. That 12" is one of the better woofers from that era of JBL speakers. The tweeter/mid combo is tried and true. The mid-range is not as lively as the older LE5 and I actually prefer it to the LE5. If the tweeter is damped properly they are great. If you were considering NS1000's that would be a much harder pick.

Thanks all

I'm going to stay away from the gumtree JBLs based on some advice from a good bloke... too far gone I think.

I just went and auditioned the 670s and overall they sounded good and are in good condition, but when I put my ear up against one of the tweeters and moved the high level control from high to low, the whole tweeter cut out.  When you left the control in a particular spot it would play normally.  The same thing happened with the other speaker on the midrange but you would just hear a static sound and then the midrange would play normally in any control position.

I don't know if this is a problem with the capacitors or the whole crossover?  Would this be a deal breaker or could I discount the price to account for getting these fixed?  Are they worth $500 in this condition?

It's either go with these for a reasonable price or wait for a good pair of JBL monitor/white woofer series (4311, 4312, 4412, 4410, 4408) but these will probably cost me more than $500 in good condition.

DS

The tweeter cutting out will just be from a scratchy pot / control.

Ive sold 2 pairs of the NS-670 .. i think it was around $500 both in good condition. Sold fairly easily. 

Guest jakeyb77

As Simon said it’s just the pot. Easy fix and very common. It’s been sitting in the one position all it’s life probably 

Guest jakeyb77

If you buy them and can get close to St Kilda sometime I’m happy to clean them up for free. 
Or I can guide you through it. All you’ll need is some contact cleaner. 

Guest jakeyb77
Posted (edited)

Crossover is dead simple. They might be a little out of spec but probably no need to do them this second. But it’s easily re-capped 

0B2DDC13-6DEB-48FF-ACDA-4F7FD8F69E70.jpeg

Edited by jakeyb77

29 minutes ago, stil_nox said:

Thanks all

I'm going to stay away from the gumtree JBLs based on some advice from a good bloke... too far gone I think.

I just went and auditioned the 670s and overall they sounded good and are in good condition, but when I put my ear up against one of the tweeters and moved the high level control from high to low, the whole tweeter cut out.  When you left the control in a particular spot it would play normally.  The same thing happened with the other speaker on the midrange but you would just hear a static sound and then the midrange would play normally in any control position.

I don't know if this is a problem with the capacitors or the whole crossover?  Would this be a deal breaker or could I discount the price to account for getting these fixed?  Are they worth $500 in this condition?

It's either go with these for a reasonable price or wait for a good pair of JBL monitor/white woofer series (4311, 4312, 4412, 4410, 4408) but these will probably cost me more than $500 in good condition.

I wouldn't buy the 43xx monitors you have listed. If you want white woofers get a pair of L96's, 4411's or L112's. They are light years ahead.

Thanks heaps.

Have found some good info online about cleaning out pots so should be a good first project to open them up and check out all the moving parts.

Cheers

DS

On 30/06/2020 at 7:19 PM, stil_nox said:

Like @kelossus said forget about those 

43xx monitors.....terrible.  I’ve had both the 4412’s and 4410’s and must say the 4410’s are a beautiful sounding speaker. They are so well balanced from top to bottom. I regretted selling them more than the 12’s.