Roon Core - Mac Mini, Intel NUC, or Roon Nucleus ?

the Intel Frost Canyon model Nucs are passive off the shelf, look up the NUC10i5FNK.  It’s passive and works great for Roon ROCK I am using one now.  

Keep in mind the Nucleus uses the exact same Intel hardware as found in Nucs and uses the exact same Linux audio sub system found in Roon ROCK.  There is no difference at all in SQ, and that is way Roon make no claims about it.  They both use the exact same Roon transport.  

If someone in a blind test can pick a Nucleus over a NUC with Roon ROCK 8 out of 10 times I’d eat my hat.

Edited by idiomatically
Added Info

I use a Roon Nucleus+ feeding a Devialet amp via Ethernet. I use tidal and my own ripped and downloaded tracks.  Initially these were stored on an external    HDD plugged into the USB port. Now these have been moved to a NAS drive. The only USB output I’ve tried is with a chord Mojo as a headphone amplifier. All of this has worked with no issues and sounds great.

why choose the Nucleus? I was prepared to pay a premium for a product that was already set up and optimised for the purpose I needed it for rather than buy a NUC and have to configure and optimise it myself.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jt301 said:

why choose the Nucleus? I was prepared to pay a premium for a product that was already set up and optimised for the purpose I needed it for rather than buy a NUC and have to configure and optimise it myself.

Bingo!

Not everybody has the time and patience to setup a NUC/PC/Mac etc  - I've spent enough time in my formative years doing all that!

Great for those who have the time and energy to put into it.

Come on let’s be honest, Roon ROCK takes 10 minutes tops to install on a NUC.  It’s optimised, and plug and play, there is Zero to configure.  You’d spend more time connecting your component cables.  Let’s not over state things hey.

Edited by idiomatically
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, idiomatically said:

Come on let’s be honest, Roon ROCK takes 10 minutes tops to install on a NUC.  It’s optimised, and plug and play, there is Zero to configure.  You’d spend more time connecting your component cables.  Let’s not over state things hey.

Lets not under-simplify things either "hey".

There are members of all ages on here, some of whom would shudder at the thought of hearing the word "computer".

Just because it works for you doesnt mean it works for everyone.

The original poster now has plenty of options to consider - he is mature to make his own informed decision now.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, idiomatically said:

the Intel Frost Canyon model Nucs are passive off the shelf, look up the NUC10i5FNK.  It’s passive and works great for Roon ROCK I am using one now.  

Keep in mind the Nucleus uses the exact same Intel hardware as found in Nucs and uses the exact same Linux audio sub system found in Roon ROCK.  There is no difference at all in SQ, and that is way Roon make no claims about it.  They both use the exact same Roon transport.  

If someone in a blind test can pick a Nucleus over a NUC with Roon ROCK 8 out of 10 times I’d eat my hat.

When you say passive, they still run a fan though ?

This was pulled form the info on this model NUC10i5FNK

image.png.950a5ced0c8a8535534b0bedd7dfc3b0.png

4 hours ago, idiomatically said:

Ok, in that case I stand corrected.  I understood that the Nucleus was more like a cheaper version of a Antipodes Audio device rather than a standard NUC. 

If all "the smarts" is in the Operating System then i guess going with a NUC should be as stated just as good.

4 hours ago, idiomatically said:

There seems to be some confusion here. The Frost Canyon series just means Intel 10th generation CPU based NUC. The NUC10i5FNK aren't all passively cooled, but there are passive models without fans.

Edited by Ittaku

I’m using an intel nuc8 and the fan has never been a problem in my room.  Direct connect to a dac via USB.  Awesome.  I get why people go the nucleus - but its a big cash difference - the price of a nice new DAC.

installing rock would be difficult for some - esp if you don’t own a pc.  But if you have basic PC skills it’s simple enough if you take your time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JC. said:

@Ittaku @idiomatically this is getting hard. The model you listed certainly isn’t passive.

I can’t find any passive/fabless NUC models, particularly 10th gen.

Anyone want to help me out with a link, please. Thanks 

Here are some of the models around the interwebs, though not 10th gen indeed.

https://simplynuc.co.uk/nuc-products/#fanless

I don't use the NUC in my study/listening room. I have a fanless PC as the roon bridge for it.

Have you considered the Allo USB Signature?   Uses a Raspberry pie industrial board inside and can be used as a Roon endpoint and is purpose build.  One option would be to buy a cheap Intel Nuc with the Roon sever running, then network the Allo USB Signature as the endpoint.  The Allo would be better source then either the Intel or the over priced Roon brick hands down, plus is dead quite both audibly (fan wise) and electrically.  Its a little more involved but the results I think would be worth it.  I run a similar unit called the Allo Digione that outputs spdif not USB to my Dac and I am very happy with it.  It is hidin way and I just use my phone as a remote.  Worth a look anyway plus its cheap.   https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-pcb.html

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Compulab (who make my desktop PC) make some low power silent boxes as well, but their prices are pretty steep. They have an official reseller in Australia now (shopping from Israel was very awkward):

https://www.fit-pc.com.au/

Expensive but look impressive for sure

1 minute ago, JC. said:

Expensive but look impressive for sure

Not that expensive when you're into high end audio and worth it in my opinion. I love my silent PC.

1 hour ago, StuDog78 said:

This is the unit is its box,   https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-player.html  

1 hour ago, StuDog78 said:

Combination of both these looks like a great option.

Why would the Allo produce better SQ ? Reduced electrical noise, especially with separate power supply?

....but then you have the extra wifi hop potentially intruding noise ?.

2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Not that expensive when you're into high end audio and worth it in my opinion. I love my silent PC.

Very true. Is this what you have ?

1 minute ago, JC. said:

Very true. Is this what you have ?

Yes I have an airtop 3 with 9900k and 128gb ram. I work exclusively from home and use it for all work, play, and music, and love it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JC. said:

Combination of both these looks like a great option.

Why would the Allo produce better SQ ? Reduced electrical noise, especially with separate power supply?

....but then you have the extra wifi hop potentially intruding noise ?.

Yeah I think that's the idea,  you can power the output side of the PCB with a low noise power supply if you wish.  With the WiFi usage, not sure that would too much of a problem, however you can always use an Ethernet cable to link two instead which is meant to be better.  You might have to link the two via a router though.  This might answer your questions better then I can  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV03z6kQq7w  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deblur said:

team with good linear power supply like a Keces P8.

Most people don't need a linear power supply. I don't use one as I found it of no benefit, it just used more power. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

I use a Mac mini and store my music on a Synology NAS. Mac mini connects to my Weiss Minerva via Firewire. It works well and allows me to run Roon, Tidal, Spotify or Apple Music depending on my whim and which service has the music.

• Like 1