Jump to content

Ittaku

Terrible first Tidal download purchase experience

Recommended Posts

I didn’t know you could buy albums via Tidal, but is that any different to downloading an album (in MQA) while you’re a subscriber? I guess you only have access to the album while you’re a subscriber, but perhaps the quality is lower?

 

I have a lot of experience using Spotify, iTunes, Amazon Music and Tidal, and keep going back to Tidal. I’ve never actually paid for it though. It’s easy to get free trials. I keep going back because of the masters (MQA) tracks and integrating into BlueOS. I’m not sure if any of the other services mentioned tell you the quality of the file, but that’s another plus for Tidal, although it’s not always clear e.g: some MQA show on my amp as 44.1kHz while most show as 88 or 96. CD quality on Tidal always shows as 44. I dislike that the other services mentioned don’t have an option (as far as I know) to choose different quality files.

 

My only criticism of Tidal is that it seems to focus more on the type of music I’m not interested in (r&b, pop, rap) and it can also be poor on recommendations, but I find minor issues like that with all the services. Spotify is probably the best with recs. and iTunes has lyric integration which I like. Tidal has a great interface. But if I had to pay $34 or thereabouts per month for their HiFi subscription I wouldn’t be so positive. It’s too much considering that MQAs of the music I like are scarce. I’d rather spend that on a few CDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also just a note about Bandcamp, it’s good for free streaming too which is nice. What’s even nicer is when your hardware supports it, like Sonos does for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest you use ROON with Tidal, I am using the combination, the experience is superb and flawless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is free for subscription. Roon has managed my 8 T lossless music files perfectly.

 

Highly recommend it.

 

image.thumb.png.e6a158ad441c2808dd4c7afd9dd98b56.png

image.thumb.png.dd853d7d8652fca8b05411b58f59f1bc.png

Edited by thundom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


12 hours ago, thundom said:

I suggest you use ROON with Tidal, I am using the combination, the experience is superb and flawless.

Likewise. Couldn't be happier with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony Cox said:

Likewise. Couldn't be happier with it.

Ditto !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear, I use Roon exclusively, and my interest is only purchasing downloads. For that, Tidal is a failure in my eyes. That then taints any thoughts I might have about even trying streaming, but given I listen mostly to classical, Tidal's classical range isn't big enough to satisfy me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

To be clear, I use Roon exclusively, and my interest is only purchasing downloads. For that, Tidal is a failure in my eyes. That then taints any thoughts I might have about even trying streaming, but given I listen mostly to classical, Tidal's classical range isn't big enough to satisfy me.

What service are you using for classical music?

 

I have 6 T classical DSD and FLACs, so I am using TIDAL as a back up library.

 

In terms of quality of the audio, you download it from TIDAL with subscription or purchase it from them, are the same.

Edited by thundom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, thundom said:

What service are you using for classical music?

 

I have 6 T classical DSD and FLACs, so I am using TIDAL as a back up library.

 

In terms of quality of the audio, you download it from TIDAL with subscription or purchase it from them, are the same.

I'm not using a streaming service. None have a good enough range of classical and high quality at the same time. I buy everything from either prestomusic or e-classical. I only bought that one electronic album from Tidal, but mostly I listening to classical.

Edited by Ittaku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most use Tidal for streaming or for downloading for when you are offline, not for keeps. I didn’t even know you could do that. Maybe they should get rid of it if they can’t do it properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike13 said:

Most use Tidal for streaming or for downloading for when you are offline, not for keeps. I didn’t even know you could do that. Maybe they should get rid of it if they can’t do it properly. 

Yep, that's basically what I'm arguing. Either fix it or remove it entirely. I suspect very very few people actually use it given how dodgy it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ittaku said:

Yep, that's basically what I'm arguing. Either fix it or remove it entirely. I suspect very very few people actually use it given how dodgy it is.

Maybe it is a ploy to get those people to think “maybe it is just easier to join up”. Their Jedi mind tricks didn’t work on you 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Just now, Mike13 said:

Maybe it is a ploy to get those people to think “maybe it is just easier to join up”. Their Jedi mind tricks didn’t work on you 😂

These aren't the flacs you're looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/07/2020 at 11:27 AM, Ittaku said:

I checked out bandcamp. It looks good but it's only for a small genre of music. I'm still looking for the least worst place to buy highres classic rock as well.

Vinyl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2020 at 10:50 PM, Ittaku said:
When The Silence Is... by Koan (FLAC) $46.66

Well I am a happy user of Tidal streaming but, like others here, had no idea they also sold albums.  I will stick with streaming at home and downloading to my portable devices (both my phone and a FiiO portable).

 

Thanks for the mention of the Koan album - that was new to me too and listening to it now.  Not my usual type of music (I'm a big ECM fan) but great to have a change of pace occasionally.

 

 

Edited by vgcr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, vgcr said:

Thanks for the mention of the Koan album - that was new to me too and listening to it now.  Not my usual type of music (I'm a big ECM fan) but great to have a change of pace occasionally.

It's a great album, and Dance of Nereids is one of my favourite work-out tracks. My family must be sick of hearing it almost every day but then they know it means I'm doing my work-out then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...