Ittaku

Terrible first Tidal download purchase experience

I was looking for some lossless album downloads and the Tidal shop was the only place for the particular album I wanted. I'd never used Tidal nor bought anything from there before but I gave in and purchased this one album from there in flac version. When I was taken to the download page, it listed the 18 tracks as separate downloads. At the top there was a button for downloading all the tracks I assumed would be a zip file or something. When I clicked on it it brought up 4 save dialogue boxes at a time and kept popping one up after the other as each file was saved of each of the separate track filenames. This was a woeful experience as it started reusing the names of some of the earlier downloaded files and just overwrote them! I figured I'd just redownload them... only to find you only get one download ever with your purchase. Now I've had to put in a support request and I expect I'll get pathetic turnaround times and probably no satisfaction. Suffice to say one potential Tidal customer lost.

Wow that does sound like a horrid experience, thanks for the heads up.

Sounds like amateur hour at Tidal. Offering to download multiple files and then naming them all the same?

They must have only tested this from a Mac, where it would actually work without overwriting. Still, you’d be left with a bunch of files named “track.flac”, “track-1.flac”, track-2.flac”, etc.

Just now, Steffen said:

Sounds like amateur hour at Tidal. Offering to download multiple files and then naming them all the same?

They must have only tested this from a Mac, where it would actually work without overwriting. Still, you’d be left with a bunch of files named “track.flac”, “track-1.flac”, track-2.flac”, etc.

It was partially my fault for allowing it to overwrite them but at the same time, why the *** would it be using the other track filenames? I detect breakage at their end. It also shows just how few people are as stupid as me and buy stuff from Tidal.

6 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

It was partially my fault for allowing it to overwrite them but at the same time, why the *** would it be using the other track filenames? I detect breakage at their end. It also shows just how few people are as stupid as me and buy stuff from Tidal.

Until you mentioned it I didnt even know you could buy music from Tidal - they certainly dont make a song and dance about it, perhaps its a work in progress?

2 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Until you mentioned it I didnt even know you could buy music from Tidal - they certainly dont make a song and dance about it, perhaps its a work in progress?

Perhaps they just "shouldn't?"

I noticed the store when I was considering tidal subscription and it said discounted download purchases for subscribers. Otherwise I wouldn't even know it was there. However you can purchase from there without being a subscriber, but prepare to squeeze out a kidney stone over the prices. That's partly why I'm so angry because I paid a premium price for this album, when I was actually just looking for one song - and that one song I wanted got overwritten so I never even got the damn thing.

https://store.tidal.com/

I just got an automated email from Tidal saying thank you for your purchase, along with links to various pages including "manage your downloads and purchases." Clicking that link took me here 🤣:

image.png.755ae580cb032f8a0e522ef88a5c9878.png

Then I tried the link for "FAQ How to download/transfer files" and got this:

image.png.1eb84f0e5d61f813d9b119015dc14bbc.png

Impressive, they have both black AND white oops pages!

8 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Impressive, they have both black AND white oops pages!

No discrimination there, Con!O.o

Cheers,

Keith

Posted (edited)

Hmmm, I didn't know they sold downloadable music either.

So I searched for a couple of albums I've been wanting as CD or flac, found one.

Go to the Download page for the album, $11.99 for mp3, sounds alright, choose flac and it's $21.59. So no sale there.

Edited by pwstereo

Even I had no idea that you could buy music from Tidal - though it seems that the 'download' experience didn't go down very well!

Hope your issue gets resolved soon. 'Downloading' music from a web-site should be a no-brainer! wonder why some companies make it so complicated! 

I know I've had a couple of beers, but I still can't see how to buy the album I'm playing?  Either through a browser, or the Android or Windows apps.

Oh.  Googled it.  Yeah, $21.59 for FLAC, nah.  And still can't see how to get to it from anywhere I'm looking.  

i appreciate the heads up 👍

51 minutes ago, Monk said:

...I still can't see how to buy the album I'm playing?

...And still can't see how to get to it from anywhere I'm looking.  

The link was provided earlier by Ittaku    https://store.tidal.com/au/

Just unsubbed from Tidal, I find I don't use it.

45 minutes ago, Batty said:

Just unsubbed from Tidal, I find I don't use it.

I tried it for a few months.  Was not impressed with the general web experience, so I can imagine them also having a poor "store" to buy and download from.

I am actually going back to more and more vinyl as more main source.  Digital keeps putting itself back in the "portable" slot. I mean, it is for listening in the car and when away from home generally.

I use spotify or internet radio for casual digital background music.

I've made multiple purchases for hard to find releases, never had any issue.

I still use and enjoy tidal. At home and on my phone. I've never purchased from them though, but do download albums to my ph for offline listening.

On 29/06/2020 at 8:00 PM, pwstereo said:

The link was provided earlier by Ittaku    https://store.tidal.com/au/

Yes... but where is that link in the app?  

I would adopt a wait and see approach and see what help you get from Tidal in regards to your purchase.  I have a Tidal subscription in concert with Roon and it works well BUT I have not downloaded material from Tidal as a purchase.

19 minutes ago, Monk said:

Yes... but where is that link in the app?  

This isn't about the app, it's about purchasing downloadable files from their website.

Well, I also mentioned browser in my first post.  Whatever.

There's a certain tool i used to use that magically put all the albums i wanted on my computer, no questions asked.

Even did full metadata and I could set it a file structure.

1 hour ago, MrC said:

I would adopt a wait and see approach and see what help you get from Tidal in regards to your purchase.  I have a Tidal subscription in concert with Roon and it works well BUT I have not downloaded material from Tidal as a purchase.

Very true. Anyone can mess up, what happens next is what really counts. How they support their customers when things do go wrong is what separates the great companies from the dodgy ones.