Best TT under $3K

Hi all, 

Keen to get your views on what is the best sub $3K TT (new only-without cartridge). I appreciate the other elements (amp, speakers. phono stage etc.) all have an impact but putting that aside I am keen to get views on what you see as the best bang for buck TT at the moment in the sub $3K range.

I am really keen on a Technics SL1200GR but would love to hear from anyone with any alternate suggestions.

23 hours ago, Hawk66 said:

I am really keen on a Technics SL1200GR but would love to hear from anyone with any alternate suggestions.

I'd take the Technics SL1200GR in a heartbeat over all the suggestions.  The build quality and motor accuracy, combined with an excellent tonearm make this about the best value turntable on the market IMO.  

https://audiojunction.com.au/product/technics-sl-1200gr-direct-drive-turntable/   

• Like 9

12 hours ago, rusty48 said:

Well Tempered Simplex new is around the right money and my first choice. 
That said, the p9 currently for sale is attractive. 

I have the Well Tempered Versalex. If the Simplex gives even 50 % of the performance of the Versalex then it's a no-brainer. Havn't heard anything come close to the Versalex at double it's RRP.

• Like 4

@Hawk66  Lots of good options already suggested and i think you get a quite capable deck+arm at that price level. You might also consider the MoFi Studiodeck (well within your stated budget) and Ultradeck (a fair bit over).   

Cheers, 2B

On 28/06/2020 at 9:36 PM, Hawk66 said:

Hi all, 

Keen to get your views on what is the best sub $3K TT (new only-without cartridge). I appreciate the other elements (amp, speakers. phono stage etc.) all have an impact but putting that aside I am keen to get views on what you see as the best bang for buck TT at the moment in the sub $3K range.

Go the Technics I have 7 turntables and around 60 carts and I have been doing this for over 30 years. I have an sp10mk2 with an Eminent Technology arm, a sl1200g a mk2 a Commonwealth idler, a Lenco a Denon and a Vintage Orpheus silex with a Hadcock arm. I have had more turntables than I care to remember and my friend had a hifi shop and I enjoyed his Linn Sondek. The mk2 and the G I have sound stunning I clearly wasted a lot of time with belt drive.

Chris

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I ended up getting a great deal on a new Technics SL1200GR.  Have also decided to pair it with a Rega Fono MM mk3 and a VM540ML cart. Looking forward to hooking it all up.  Now i just need to buy some good quality RCA connectors with an earth wire..

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Hawk66 said:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I ended up getting a great deal on a new Technics SL1200GR.  Have also decided to pair it with a Rega Fono MM mk3 and a VM540ML cart. Looking forward to hooking it all up.  Now i just need to buy some good quality RCA connectors with an earth wire..

Well done. Grab these if they are long enough from @cafe67 you won’t get any better without spending serious money  

• Like 1

On 01/07/2020 at 10:47 PM, Hawk66 said:

Great TT and fantastic cartridge.  Have fun! 

Just a quick update... Technics SL1200GR arrived..  VM540ML cartridge arrived... decided to not get Rega Fono MM Mk3 but instead bought a Schiit Mani direct from USA..  Mani was the last piece and it arrived today ....  all I can say is I'm blown away with the difference to my old set up. The old set up was not crap but this is just in a different league. The definition and clarity coming from the system is phenomenal..  It feels great when you spend a fair chunk of cash and you get an even better result than you hoped for.  Anything I have played so far, Jazz, Rock, Electronica, Classical just rocks..  Happy Days.. ?

• Like 6