1 x Ported Box Subwoofer -vs- 2 x Sealed Box Subwoofers?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like sealed for music and ported for movies.  I run 2 SVS SB-2000's in a large room (and it fills it nicely) and I have 2 SVS PC-2000 Pro's in the theatre. I'd go with the SB-2000's

+1 for two SB-2000s.  Two subs will provide the ability to even out the bass in the large room.  The key is to integrate the subs properly.

No, you do not have to compromise if you set up this way.    For music,  use DAC and Integrated amp to mains, as well to the subs via DSP.  For movies, feed the L&R preout to the I

2 hours ago, Irek said:

preview_SUB1000F.jpg

Is that an enclosure made out of lightweight composite, and a driver cone made of reinforced, inert wood?!? Are you mindh#cking with me?!? 🤪

Edited by QuinnInSydney
more emoji means more fun!

On 30/06/2020 at 2:17 AM, QuinnInSydney said:

Yes, this thread has gone down some rabbit holes and I'm getting waaay more (valuable!) advice then I bargained for. Like listening to Keith Urban, I kinda hate it but I kinda love it 🙃

I really appreciate you, along with everybody else here, taking the time and sharing your experience and expertise. That's why my reply is going to end up being more epic (epicer?) - not because I'm trying to defend my decisions, but because I figure the more you know about my situation the more applicable your advice can be. So are you ready for a long one...? Strap yourself in, Gladys!

Fair enough, seems like you have given it all a fair bit of thought and have a plan, so will wish you all the best and leave you with the simple thought that at the end of the day the only thing that really matter is that you enjoy your system in the way you want to use it.  Don't get too caught up in specs and peoples opinions on products that they've never seen or heard and let your ears and wallet be the judge.   Have fun!

11 hours ago, Irek said:

Thanks for the tip @Irek. At a quick glance, the overall dimensions of their cabinets don't work for my space. I'll try giving them a ring to see if they do custom enclosures. If not I'll definitely keep them in mind for future applications.

Regardless, the fact that companies like this exist at all makes me happy 😁

Edited by QuinnInSydney
added some thoughts
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, POV said:

... wish you all the best and leave you with the simple thought that at the end of the day the only thing that really matter is that you enjoy your system in the way you want to use it.  Don't get too caught up in specs and peoples opinions on products that they've never seen or heard and let your ears and wallet be the judge.   Have fun!

Thanks, POV!

2 hours ago, QuinnInSydney said:

Thanks for the tip @Irek. At a quick glance, the overall dimensions of their cabinets don't work for my space. I'll try giving them a ring to see if they do custom enclosures. If not I'll definitely keep them in mind for future applications.

Regardless, the fact that companies like this exist at all makes me happy 😁

I like cool looking HiFi as well. I'm not surprised that Kef is selling so many speakers.

BTW Greg Osborne can make subwoofer with flax driver.

@QuinnInSydney, how about 2 Rythmik L12s? Small and compact enough and will likely fit in that space, or small enough to move around and find better placements in your room.

If visual symmetry is really important, block out that space and have the sub behind it. But then again, the TV isn't  centered and you don't have two large clocks 😉

On 04/07/2020 at 8:16 PM, deafenears said:

how about 2 Rythmik L12s? Small and compact enough and will likely fit in that space, or small enough to move around and find better placements in your room.

Thanks for the tip @deafenears The Rythmiks' dimensions and performance specs look good... but I'm having trouble finding a dealer here in Aus. Is there a place at which I can have an in-person look and audition?

On 04/07/2020 at 8:16 PM, deafenears said:

If visual symmetry is really important, block out that space and have the sub behind it. But then again, the TV isn't  centered and you don't have two large clocks 😉

Visual order is important. Symmetry less so. All the stuff you see in that photo is temporary - we're still moving in / painting / renovating. I have an occasional desire to wear that giant clock around my neck and relive my Flavor Flav fandom days... 🙃

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, QuinnInSydney said:

Thanks for the tip @deafenears The Rythmiks' dimensions and performance specs look good... but I'm having trouble finding a dealer here in Aus. Is there a place at which I can have an in-person look and audition?

Richard from Audio Salon (audiosalon.com.au) is the local AU distributor. I'm not sure if there are places stocking these to allow an in-person look / audition though.

• Like 1