the_island

optical issues with digital pre

Hi everyone

Perhaps a newbie question - I have an AMC US24192i digital preamp linked to a Vincent Power amp driving a pair of KEF LS50s.

I would like to connect my Samsung TV via optical to my pre as I have no RCA or HDMI inputs - when I connect and power up I get LOUD noise causing me to immediately power off.

Can someone please tell me what is causing this and how I can solve it.

Thank you 

Is there an option in the TV to output optical as PCM? I doubt that your DAC will have the capability to decode bitstreamed data.

I just checked and the TV is set to PCM, I should add the TV connects fine through my Onkyo AV receiver via optical out.

The manual for your pre isn't very informative, but indicates it will accept input from a DVD player. Try setting the output on the TV to dolby digital if available.

Thanks I will give this a try, however I really want to minimize my attempts to resolve to avoid damaging my system and / or ears. 

Definitely sounds like you are hearing your preamps DAC attempting to treat a dolby encoded stream as a PCM stream.

My TV did that to my DAC a few times when I first got it, even when set to PCM, then there was a firmware update that fixed it.

If you have set the TV to PCM and it is still doing it, make sure all firmwares are up to date, and try rebooting the TV from the wall. then try a factory reset and reconfigure the settings.

Definitely some Dolby digital signal coming through as other posters have said. It does sound terribly damaging and scary. Don't forget that the tv might set to Pcm but if you use an app like Netflix etc it might still output in Dolby. 

Dolby is more prevalent these days - example of this the NRL on Foxtel, it is transmitted in Dolby. Why ? Who the hell knows....

Thank you for your responses, so I understand I need to prevent the dolby signal going through the DAC. I will see what I can do thanks again. !