Can anyone assist with building a tube TDA1541 Dac? Preferably in Brisbane.

kelossus

Looking to build a DAC with the PCB's that were available at DIYAudio a few years back. I bought some years ago but they ended up stashed away and forgotten. I have again had my interest sparked in a potential build I am seeking a tech or experienced DIYer to build this for me. Of course I would pay for your time. It would be an advantage if you were familiar with the DIYAudio PCB's. I have all the required boards besides the Salas shunt reg's which are luckily still available.

The build would consist of the below PCB's as well as the Shunt regulators for each voltage line which I still have to source.

Red Baron DAC PCB

Click the image to open in full size.

Tube-I-Zator Out Put Stage

Click the image to open in full size.

2x PSU PCB's for 4 voltage lines

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5535/9054800925_697d65b715_b.jpg

• Like 2

Chris,

give me a call.

I have a mate who is a retired electrical engineer and a valve fanatic.

He's building me a valve MM phono stage at the moment.

He lives at Buderim, but is coming down to Brisbane on Thursday.

He does all my PC and audio repairs.

cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Where did you get these boards from?

I wouldn't mind building one for myself for I have bought a boxful of those mini tubes that Lampizator raved about but never had time. This looks like a well researched project.

Cheers

Roman

IMG_6821.thumb.JPG.3111181be639b98dfc05f560b1a9867a.JPG

1 hour ago, rockeater said:

Where did you get these boards from?

I wouldn't mind building one for myself for I have bought a boxful of those mini tubes that Lampizator raved about but never had time. This looks like a well researched project.

Cheers

Roman

IMG_6821.thumb.JPG.3111181be639b98dfc05f560b1a9867a.JPG

They are from diyaudio. I am unsure if they are still available.

There's a guy on diyaudio selling boards including a lampizator design out put board complete with transformers, but unfortunately only to Europe. Not sure what the origin of the TDA1541A board design is. But these are complete and just need to put in a case.

That's the only ones I'm aware of.

Edit: sometimes members sell kits they haven't finished in swap meet.

Edited by muon*

If @Yngvi was still a member here, he being the former member known as Lord Eggmiester of Castle Albumen, then he'd be able to put you on to the tube builder on the Gold coast who was at Marc's last show in Bleak City . He got a bespoke tube thingy made which has blown a lot of well known brands and private builds outta the room so to speak when placed in his system.(extreme esoterica though it may be)

Sorry I can't remember his name from the show but he did buy me a beer and he chewed my ear off about tubes! Umm, @Gr11zzly @cheekyboy, is the bloke I'm thinking of at your room last year? Or I'm mixed up? (Ben?)

28 minutes ago, Luc said:

If @Yngvi was still a member here, he being the former member known as Lord Eggmiester of Castle Albumen, then he'd be able to put you on to the tube builder on the Gold coast who was at Marc's last show in Bleak City . He got a bespoke tube thingy made which has blown a lot of well known brands and private builds outta the room so to speak when placed in his system.(extreme esoterica though it may be)

Sorry I can't remember his name from the show but he did buy me a beer and he chewed my ear off about tubes! Umm, @Gr11zzly @cheekyboy, is the bloke I'm thinking of at your room last year? Or I'm mixed up? (Ben?)

Paul.Baker maybe? He did cross my mind but I don't think he likes working on equipment besides his own.

1 hour ago, Luc said:

Eggy came through with the guy, he mightn't be what your looking for though(in hindsight)

It was Ben at this place>>>https://nanoat.com/

Spoke with Ben for a bit at the show about some technical stuff and found him to be extremely knowledgeable.

His talent and expertise really shone through in his amps.

I reckon he would probably be my first choice if I was looking to have a bespoke amp built for me here in Australia.

Guest jakeyb77

Can highly recommend @mwhouston

I’ve gone from having all my gear to just using a Bel Canto pre, a DAC Mark built and an amp he also built. 
I don’t wish I had any of my old gear back at all. 

You must have had a desire to build this yourself when you bought the circuit boards......

From an experience tech, it’s not that hard.....  My daughter took on a task herself as part of her curriculum, and she has no electronics knowledge.

if you have a autoranging multimeter, if not get a cheap one from Jaycar that has an impedance of at least 10M ohms.

Get a soldering iron with Temp settings and practice soldering.

Learn how to read resistor values,  Semiconductor orientation and passive components orientation.

Now here’s my advise:

populate the smallest components onto the pcb 1st, this includes resistors (where an auto ranging multimeter comes in to determine the values so you know where they go, then the 2 legged semis such as diodes and zener diodes etc.  

The next is 3 legged transistors or regulators and finally the dac chip itself.   Once these are in solder them and then trim off the excess legs.   Finally populate the pcb with the bigger components Such as caps and then do the same...

populating the pcb and soldering both pcb  should 10mins max looking at the qty of components involve.

@mwhouston  does exceptional work, I’ve seen it at 1st hand,  but if  your in QLD, I’d recommend @Gieseler Audio  who’s main business is building DACs  and he builds them with SMDs....  So this is piss easy for both these guys as it’s all through the hole components.

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Can highly recommend @mwhouston

I’ve gone from having all my gear to just using a Bel Canto pre, a DAC Mark built and an amp he also built. 
I don’t wish I had any of my old gear back at all. 

Thanks for the kind words. Just glad you are enjoying the gear.