Yuri P

Affordable turntable for the old man... suggestions?

I'm looking to complete my dad's hifi system so he can once again enjoy his extensive record collection.

He's been without a turntable for the best part of 20 years but his medical state means he is fairly housebound

now and music is a large part of his recreation these days. His system is by no means spectacular but the

90's Jamo Concerts, Denon PMA-720ae, TU-1500 (thanks for the advice everyone!) and DCD-520ae are a lively

combination that are definitely a step up from your average department store bookshelf scenario.

My question is this: What would be a suitable turntable in the entry/$500(ish) range that would be easy enough to use

and sound reasonable?

My current thinking is something along the lines of:

Rega Planar 1

Pro-ject Essentials III

Denon DP-300F

His collection is basically 99% LPs so changing speed is not really a big deal. Stylistically it's primarily Classical

with a handfull of hot jazz and folk.

Any suggestions welcome.

the Denon being auto would be a bonus if medical conditions are lingering, a better cartridge could be an upgrade in the future

I'd be inclined to look for a good older unit, perhaps a Lenco 75 or Thorens. 

Semi Auto would be an option to consider

Depends how "Handy" you are in fixing non fuctioning TT's that come available.

Your Dad might have more of a liking of the 1970-80and first year if 1990 as after that the CD stepped in!

Hi Yuri

I have a Pro-ject 1Xpression Carbon Classic advertised in classifieds which would be a step up from the Pro-ject Essentials. Its a manual deck but in excellent condition. See link below.

Grab a Victor QL-Y5 from Japan. About $700 shipped, another $300 for a full recap. These servo S arm tables will out track anything I've ever come across and are dead easy to operate and have top tier performance unmatched by any current production table.

Posted (edited)

I picked this one up for not a lot.

Had a fault electrically and needed a decent service/clean plus a re-calibration.

Now it is playing again  beautiful.

The head shell did hide the Empire 300ML cartridge (minus Stylus).

So there is a way to get some decent stuff for not a lot.

Bye the way by switching start mode to off it becomes a semi auto Turntable.

And the little alloy cup just above the nameplate is the optimum needle position of the Tone arm!

You do not get this sort of detail on the new ones!

The competition in the 1980ish was fierce indeed!

The spend is New Belt, New stylus, some contact cleaner, machine oil and some naus how to go about it. 

My current one to be done is a B&O 1000 TT! 

I like saving these classics from Landfill!

Sanyo TP 700.jpg

Edited by Analog Revenge
extra info

This Elac  Miracord 610 was also destined for the Landfill site!

Unbelievable, Just the solid hardwood case with lid alone would custom house my Thorens nicely!

Decent service, a stylus , clean plus some teak oil and polish has made this now an object of desire for one of my friends who is determined to get it off me somehow!

It sounds magnificent.

So I can go on with more projects but maybe this will inspire you to get together with your dad and do it as a son and father project!

elac TT.jpg

elac TT angle.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By The Fresh Prince
      Item Condition: Awesome Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Adelaide State: South Australia Payment Method: Cash/EFT Reason for selling: Time to try something else Further information:
      I'm churning through the gear at the moment, just out of curiosity, and also as part of the hobby (see my multiple WTB threads!).
      As such my flagship Rega Isis CDP is for sale. It is in mint condition, complete with manuals, wooden crate, box, remote, and Rega premium power chord.
      The only thing missing is the cheapie RCA interconnect that was supplied with the player, which no one will miss.
      It weighs nearly 30kg with the crate.
      This is local pick up only, and I would much prefer someone to demo the player in my system, so they can be sure they are happy that it is mint.
      Happy to trade against something interesting. Maybe, vintage integrated or tube amps, Naim gear, interesting speakers....

PS. I also have a pair of, essentially new, Harbeth Super SHL5 in Tiger Ebony complete with stands coming up for sale

Photos:

• By JeromeSmith
      Item Condition: Used (like new) Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Woollahra State: New South Wales Payment Method: Cash or EFT Reason for selling: Plans to develop my digital front end Further information:

Regrettably, I have decided to sell my vinyl setup and pursue development of my digital system. I bought the turntable and Rega Exact cartridge in 2018 from Duratone in Canberra and have gradually added a number of Rega upgrades including:

- Rega white belt
      - Rega Fono MM phono stage
      - Rega power supply unit (TTPSU)

I actually struggled to find the phono stage and TTPSU units with the original squared casework, but opted for them instead of the neo and mk2 versions as they matched my Rega Elex R amplifier beautifully . The turntable has been carefully looked after, cleaned and recalibrated regularly, and comes from a pet-free, smoke-free home.

I will also include the following in the sale:

- Original Rega packaging for all units
      - Onzow ZeroDust stylus cleaner
      - 1x pair Van Den Hul 'The Bay' RCA cables (mint condition)
      - All power cables and accessories

I also have a small selection of vinyl records I will be listing in the vinyl classifieds, which you will have the opportunity to listen to if interested. For those that don't already know, RRP on a new P3 with an exact cartridge is around $1800, with the upgrades costing around $500 each. All units are in perfect working order and I've never had a single issue with Rega gear. It's true what they say, their turntables really are outstanding value for money and deliver amazing sound quality given their entry-level cost. For those looking to hear 'real music' in their living room, look no further. 

Happy to provide a demo to serious buyers. I am in Woollahra, NSW 2025.

I would offer to post but I think this is generally a bad idea with turntables. I would much prefer local collection if possible.

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
    • By Working Class Dan
      Item Condition: VGC 9/10 Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Montmorency State: Victoria Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, COD Reason for selling: Surplus to requirement Rega DAC in black. 
      Sounds great. Been using it with a basic Sony CD player and it really improves the sound stage (to my ears). 
      That CD player gave up the ghost and I've got my eyes on adding a decent CD player, so this has become surplus. 
      Also looks great on a shagpile rug. 

• By Audionerd
      Item Condition: Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Ivanhoe East State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash, Bank Transfer or Paypal Reason for selling: Selling for a friend who has upgraded Further information: Rega DAC in silver with power lead.
      Rightly recognised as a very musical DAC, especially in its price range.  
      Digital inputs for Coaxial (2), Optical (2) and USB, selectable via front panel push-button.
      Sampling rates of 32K-192K and 10 different digital filters also selectable on the front panel.
      This is a fairly compact but heavy unit, indicating a decent power supply.
      It is NOT the later DAC-R, so has no remote. Hard to beat at this price, however.
      No problem posting at buyer's expense.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Cideburns
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Brisbane / Redlands State: Queensland Payment Method: Paypal (+ 3%), EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: NLR Further information:

Still in two minds whether to just keep this, box it up and save it for a rainy day.
      Just sold my matching Brio-R, so this can go too.
      Is in super condition, mint, like new. I am the only owner, bought this new at Living Sound & Vision in the Valley.
      Have been using this in a second system set-up connected to my BluSound Node 2. Used to have it paired with a Apollo-R in the past too (which was a great combo, much like it's big brother the Saturn-R).

Would prefer local buyer, but have the original box/packaging, so can post at buyers extra expense (aprox $30 on east coast)

NOTE: This is Rega DAC, not the DAC-R (so therefore has no remote control like the DAC-R)

Reviews:

What Hifi review
      TONE Review
      Stereofile review

Specs:

Description: Solid-state D/A processor. Inputs: two coaxial, two optical (TosLink) S/PDIF, one USB. Sample rates/bit depths handled: 32–192kHz (S/PDIF); 32, 44.1, and 48kHz at 16 bits (USB). 10 different digital filters, selected with a push-button on the front panel.
      Dimensions: 8.4" (215mm) W by 3.1" (80mm) H by 10.5" (270mm) D.

Photos:

PLEASE READ