Rega RP6 upgrade dilemma

2 hours ago, Telecine said:

The ceramic platter has its supporters and detractors. That is why I suggested that you listen to one before committing to buy.

I call poppy cock on the detractors of the ceramic platter :D ... I went from glass to ceramic .... and saw no reason to detract  :D 

I'd say more that for the "upgraders" a ceramic platter costs a small fortune on own as does the sub platter and drive system needed for it ...so folks say oh there are reasons to stick with glass... yeah cost  ! :D I dare say there is good reason Rega has kept with the ceramic for all its flagship decks from p9 (gen 1 and 2) RP10 and the naiad.... could be IF someone with a lower deck has gone to ceramic and its unleashed detail perhaps their system isn't dealing with so well or something... *shrug*  but thats not a ceramic platters fault !  can't see apart from cost what else would detract...

3 hours ago, Telecine said:

The siting of your Rega and LP12, ideally on a wall bracket mount, might be the best upgrade you can make on a bang for buck basis. 

definitely consider... something my setup certainly benefitted with... well worth doing, and yes no matter be it a linn or rega....

091A8001.JPG 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I call poppy cock on the detractors of the ceramic platter :D ... I went from glass to ceramic .... and saw no reason to detract  :D 

I'd say more that for the "upgraders" a ceramic platter costs a small fortune on own as does the sub platter and drive system needed for it ...so folks say oh there are reasons to stick with glass... yeah cost  ! :D I dare say there is good reason Rega has kept with the ceramic for all its flagship decks from p9 (gen 1 and 2) RP10 and the naiad.... could be IF someone with a lower deck has gone to ceramic and its unleashed detail perhaps their system isn't dealing with so well or something... *shrug*  but thats not a ceramic platters fault !  can't see apart from cost what else would detract...

definitely consider... something my setup certainly benefitted with... well worth doing, and yes no matter be it a linn or rega....

091A8001.JPG 

I think that you might be a detractor ;) You have a cork/rubber mat on the ceramic platter, no doubt to provide better damping of the platter.

Edited by Telecine
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, betty boop said:

May I know what bracket you use and how difficult to mount it onto the wall? 

I found that my wall is soft plaster so will not hold any heavy weight well unless I found exact spot where the frame timber goes through.

Thank you..

Edited by Spider27
typo fix
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Telecine said:

I think that you might be a detractor ;) You have a cork/rubber mat on the ceramic platter, no doubt to provide better damping of the platter.

suggested this one ages back... simple easy upgrade :D if cork rubber split horizon mat is key to ceramic...do it :D ...to be truth full it also did its thing with previous glass platter i had and just came across .... ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

suggested this one ages back... simple easy upgrade :D if cork rubber split horizon mat is key to ceramic...do it :D ...to be truth full it also did its thing with previous glass platter i had and just came across .... ? 

I think that you have good ears, either needs a bit of extra damping ;) 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

May I know what bracket you use and how difficult to mount it onto the wall? 

I found that my wall is soft plaster so will not hold any heavy weight well unless I found exact spot where the frame timer goes through.

Thank you..

mine is same.... plaster wall .... so key then is to batten a backing to the wall that is secure to affix too.... in my case was plank of wood from bunnings that picked up the wall studs(help with stud finder).... and gave the mount something secure to attach...

the mount is rega made and supplied also follows the rega philosophy of light and extremely rigid... can check link in my system thread below to see process i went to attach .... the mount is compatible with all regas.... and if using a platform can be used for any other brand deck....

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/59834-where-the-divas-sing/?do=findComment&comment=4030234

a simple very affordable upgrade well worth doing ....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Brian_S said:

The Plinius 9200 does a great job as an MM Pre amp but doesn’t provide enough flexibility for loading of MC carts.

Just to follow on from telecine's suggestion about using a pair of RCA 'T' connectors and loading plugs, for an MC cart ...

The review I found of a Plinius 9200 was not completely clear ... but I gather, whilst you can select a different gain (for a LOMC, as distinct from MM) ... you only have 47K as the cart loading?

If so then:

1. insert an RCA 'T' connection into each phono RCA
  2. plug the phono cable into one of the RCA inputs in each 'T' connector
  3. and plug a 'loaded' RCA plug into the other RCA input in each 'T' connector.  (A 'loaded' RCA plug being a plug which has a resistor soldered across it.)

In this way, you can rapidly change loads and, after a bit of experimentation, you can arrive at the load value which makes your LOMC sound its best.  :)

Andy

• Like 1

Many thanks Andy. I'll look into these. 

And yes, you are right - I can adjust settings for gain on the 9200, but have no adjustment for loading. The amp's phono stage is definitely not set up for MC cart use (unlike the Plinius M16P I was fortunate enough to own many years ago - now that was a fine pre-amp when paired with my SA100 MkIII).

@betty boop, thanks for all your input. Gotta say, your P9 looks magnificent and after taking into account the feedback in this thread, and looking into several other similar discussions in other forums I will be researching this model further, hoping to audition if possible.

Thanks agin to all for your input.

Cheers,

Brian

• Thanks 1

My own experience aligns with the sentiment that going up the ladder is much easier, cheaper and satisfying than spending money on modifications (other than the plus pack for the RP1).

I went Planar1,3, 6 and then 8 and had large steps in performance upgrades each time, whilst when I tried doing things to a RP3 found it all very minor/inefficient. (amps, phono and main, also upgraded as I went up the chain which was an interesting experiment as well)

The part I'm ignorant about is steps in series. I haven't heard the difference between an P8 and a new Planar8 for example, that would always be interesting to hear!

Best of luck on your journey

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Well, the worm has turned.....

Hooked up the LP12 for the pre sale photo shoot, plugged it in and....nada. Long story short the Valhalla board had expired, so after some research on SNA and elsewhere, I opted for the Hercules/Mose PSU from @Mober. Edmund’s customer service was first class and three weeks from order it was installed. What had previously been a fairly lack-luster sound on the LP12 was now detailed, textured, engaging, and sophisticated in a way that the RP6 was not.

This is not to detract from the Rega - far from it. It is seat of the pants fun, fast, immediately enjoyable, and fiddle free. The LP12, though not as much as an instant sugar-hit rush, just had another dimension of delicacy and nuance (and actually tons more “space”) than the RP6 had. And that is without any change to the phono pre-amp and cart loading.

So, the LP12 is a keeper, and, with a tinge of melancholia, the RP6 will be sold.

Downside - LP12s are fiddly, infinitely tweakable buggers, and there is that constant nagging feeling that you can just get it to sound that little bit better.....already opened an account with Cymbiosis......;)