cazzesman

New CAPS for 2020 - Music PC Build

Out to beat Taiko 🙂 🙂 🙂

Good luck to you in that regard.   Massive exercise.    At your current rate of build I'm not sure I am worthy of talking PC builds with you.    It's like comparing my Hyundai Excel to your Bugatti Veyron 🙂

Are you running the JCat XE card in it?

What music player are you using?  HQPlayer with DSD?

Regards Cazzesman

16 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

Out to beat Taiko 🙂 🙂 🙂

Good luck to you in that regard.   Massive exercise.    At your current rate of build I'm not sure I am worthy of talking PC builds with you.    It's like comparing my Hyundai Excel to your Bugatti Veyron 🙂

Are you running the JCat XE card in it?

What music player are you using?  HQPlayer with DSD?

Regards Cazzesman

LoL! Come in... They say, where there is a will, there is a way...! 

yes, ControlPC is only Roon and AO 3.0. AudioPC is only HQPlayer and AO 3.0. Both communicate via JCat network card, one in each controlPC and AudioPC. USB card is JCat XE. Which is massive leap forward in SQ compare to Femto. And Femto was light years ahead of SotM with external clocking board attached. So pcie SOtM alone is taking a sideline indefinitely! 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, cazzesman said:

Out to beat Taiko 🙂 🙂 🙂

When you break it out, Taiko is using Win10 PE, a 500MB OS. Much smaller footprint compare to most other. Mainly in Taiko is power supplies, and PCIe SSD storage. It’s also using Roon and JPlay Femto. I have also tested Jplay, however, in my setup and to my personal preference HQplayer is more to my liking.... 

Have you tried power your router or switch with decent linear psu? This is a most affordable upgrade in CA where sonic is very audibly improved with linear psu powering your switch or router. Let us know if you find it otherwise? 

Edited by Chanh
Typo

I'm trying to avoid networking to the system, other than file transfer.   All music comes straight from SSD.  

Do you have your LPS wiring set up to go direct to MB, SSD, Network Card and XE Card or do they just connect to externally to the Controller and Audio PC's.

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-400w-atx-linear-power-supply-with-modular-atx-output.html

I like this idea from HDPlex LPS.

With my 'Back to Basics' system I only need to power the MB, 2 x SSD's and stand alone USB Card.

Regards Paul

56 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

I'm trying to avoid networking to the system, other than file transfer.   All music comes straight from SSD.  

Just wanted to be clear in  my comments regarding network noise. They  apply regardless of whether you are using a local hard disk or Nas on the network or streaming from a streaming service. Usually people need their server connected to control it for instance from their phone or ipad. Having an ethernet cable connected is enough to introduce a negative sq effect. As I said previously it is simple to establish the level of this by setting off a playlist and unplugging the ethernet cable from the server and having a listen. I run a 2 box setup which is connected via ethernet cables to a switch which has only the server, endpoint and internet cable (from the router) connected.  I run roon but even so, If I set off a playlist which only accesses  a local hard drive conected directly to the server it will continue playing even though i disconnect the internet/network connected cable from the switch. TBH I am surprised it does keep going but it is great it does as I can easily remove network noise for the length of that playlist.

Brilliant Fred,

Thanks for pointing out the Network noise.   I just assumed any noise would only be transferred via a NAS when used to the MB during music playback.    I wasn't aware simply having the Lan connected would have the same effect.    Is that why companies like JCat produce a Network Card for filtering?   I just presumed I wouldn't need to consider a standalone Network Card in my simple system.

Cheers

Regards Cazzesman

1 hour ago, frednork said:

Just wanted to be clear in  my comments regarding network noise. They  apply regardless of whether you are using a local hard disk or Nas on the network or streaming from a streaming service. Usually people need their server connected to control it for instance from their phone or ipad. Having an ethernet cable connected is enough to introduce a negative sq effect. As I said previously it is simple to establish the level of this by setting off a playlist and unplugging the ethernet cable from the server and having a listen. I run a 2 box setup which is connected via ethernet cables to a switch which has only the server, endpoint and internet cable (from the router) connected.  I run roon but even so, If I set off a playlist which only accesses  a local hard drive conected directly to the server it will continue playing even though i disconnect the internet/network connected cable from the switch. TBH I am surprised it does keep going but it is great it does as I can easily remove network noise for the length of that playlist.

Totally agree with network noise from router. Great idea about disconnecting the Ethernet cable from router or switch. I must admit, that I have not yet give this a try. It think, doing this will let the listener be less distracted from browsing the library on his/her control tablet and be more into enjoying the music. 

1 hour ago, cazzesman said:

Brilliant Fred I just presumed I wouldn't need to consider a standalone Network Card in my simple system.

I found a standalone pcie network card inserted is actually sounded better than the one from motherboard. Prior to JCat network card, I had a TPLink, which i bought for $15 from a local computer store here. I did replace the two caps caps and it sounded pretty good compare to stock. I still have the card... Can post a photo later this evening if interested?  

52 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Totally agree with network noise from router. Great idea about disconnecting the Ethernet cable from router or switch. I must admit, that I have not yet give this a try. It think, doing this will let the listener be less distracted from browsing the library on his/her control tablet and be more into enjoying the music. 

Yes its good to stop that twitchy finger we can all suffer from sometimes xD, Even more amazingly Roon will shuffle your entire library endlessly as long as it is local so dont even need a playlist. Thanks to @rmpfyffor the idea to disconnect the ethernet cable!

How does the much vaunted EtherRegen stack up against the JCat card?

Regards Cazzesman

3 hours ago, frednork said:

Yes its good to stop that twitchy finger we can all suffer from sometimes xD, Even more amazingly Roon will shuffle your entire library endlessly as long as it is local so dont even need a playlist. Thanks to @rmpfyffor the idea to disconnect the ethernet cable!

Thank a kid in the house... who ate the floor on a fall once whilst I was listening to music. We paused, cleaned him up and made him happy. The back to listening. We were all looking at each other wondering what'd changed in the system as it sounded great until the buffer ran out and the sound stopped. You can guess what 'appened to the cable.

Since then wrote scripts to drop the interface etc... much easier. 

Some of the comments around clarity etc in the ER thread are just... jitter reduction characteristics. 

The ultimate is to have none. Easy, much cheaper :)

On 29/06/2020 at 12:00 PM, cazzesman said:

I'm sticking with the Kii 3's, mutec reclocker, Dirac Live and 2000 VA IsoTran

The idea that .....  as long as you have clean signals (non-corupted clocks and power) and speakers with a good accoustic design  .... that you can get away with just normal well engineered DA converters, standard boring cables, and not-special speaker cabinet materials, containing $10 woofers.

.... It's pure heresy to many (audiophile) people who want to believe that 'everything makes a difference', and 'the improvements available are limitless'.

Posted (edited)
On 30/06/2020 at 11:38 AM, frednork said:

As I said previously it is simple to establish the level of this by setting off a playlist and unplugging the ethernet cable from the server and having a listen.

100% 👍

My face when I hear about people into high end servers, power, etc.... who didn't try this as a first step.  🤯

(We got different results, but)

Edited by davewantsmoore

I was hoping there was data to show the improvements made by minimised component boards with high end peripherals. I did a bit of googling today and found some good reading on power supplies:

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/07/measurements-switching-power-supplies.html

It brought me back to a common question that I ask. Is a minuscule difference, one that I can't hear, worth the money? I think that's a question for the person who owns the money.

6 minutes ago, gwurb said:

It brought me back to a common question that I ask. Is a minuscule difference, one that I can't hear, worth the money? I think that's a question for the person who owns the money.

If you cant hear it why would you spend the money?

35 minutes ago, frednork said:

I wouldn't.

On 01/07/2020 at 11:16 AM, davewantsmoore said:

100% 👍

My face when I hear about people into high end servers, power, etc.... who didn't try this as a first step.  🤯

(We got different results, but)

Agreed @frednork's idea it so cost effective and simple and if one doesn't hear a difference then it answers the question around investing in  JCat XE  etc. 

@Chanh love the passion and that you are still tinkering - I was an avid reader of your massive thread a few years back. Your soldering skill set put me off, also I don't think the missus would be happy with a 5 box set just to get the source sounding perfect😁

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roh008 said:

@Chanh love the passion and that you are still tinkering - I was an avid reader of your massive thread a few years back. Your soldering skill set put me off, also I don't think the missus would be happy with a 5 box set just to get the source sounding perfect😁

You must visit me to gauge its actual outcome. Would be good to hear a third party neutral feedback. 😊

Edited by Chanh

3 hours ago, frednork said:

Absolutely...! It comes down to how resolving your setup..., is. All relative though... 

You see, @TDX had been to my setup more than few times..., audible differences he pick up here in my setup, he was not been able to detect the same effectiveness in his own setup. However, when He could pick up slight differences in his.., it was overly obvious in mine.... so it comes down to how resolving your setup is..., and if you can’t hear the differences in your own setup, does it really mean there is no audible differences?!? Furthermore, if I can’t hear differences, the improvement in SQ, I would had halted all my tinkering with computer audio and JCat XE ($$$$) upgrade!! 

Where do we draw a line! 😜😩

Conclusion: better to own a smaller room 😂

Very OTT for my simple usage.   Pretty cool looking.

Regards Cazzesman

The design with those analog meters looks fantastic. 

Its a standard PC with good quality parts. So this is a good example of a server being a standard computer. SSD for OS, HDD for storage, standard CPU, standard GPU, standard MB, standard RAM, standard quality PSU, and fans still in the case for water cooling. The network card is nothing special.  The OS is standard Windows 10. If it were me I would look at passive cooling options because I don't like the idea of water cooling.

The gauges are neat.

18 hours ago, gwurb said:

Its a standard PC with good quality parts. So this is a good example of a server being a standard computer. SSD for OS, HDD for storage, standard CPU, standard GPU, standard MB, standard RAM, standard quality PSU, and fans still in the case for water cooling. The network card is nothing special.  The OS is standard Windows 10. If it were me I would look at passive cooling options because I don't like the idea of water cooling.

The gauges are neat.

🙂🙂🙂

Way to take the 'zing' out of it all.     Like plenty of Audio it's all about the bells and whistles.    Compared to my minimalist unit it is a 1980 Corolla vs a Bugatti.🤪

Regards Cazzesman 

15 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

🙂🙂🙂

Way to take the 'zing' out of it all.     Like plenty of Audio it's all about the bells and whistles.    Compared to my minimalist unit it is a 1980 Corolla vs a Bugatti.🤪

Regards Cazzesman 

Oh.. 

The player/endpoint he built has custom parts not the regular PC parts.

My mini tower is probably like a horse and cart in comparison to his luxury car. Lol