So... turns out they were right about power!!

This week, with great doubt and trepidation, I bought a ps audio P3 power conditioner.

Here’s me thinking it’s more snake oil and the money would be better spent on other things. Turns out it’s made a massive difference to staging, depth and overall sound quality. 

Still not convinced there’s any meaningful difference between a $200 cable and a $2000 cable but upgrading power has been a worthy investment. 

?

• Like 10

I bought a P10 last week. Amazing. I have since added a Synergistic Research quantum Blue fuse and added even more detail :

I run mid range Voodoo and Isotek power cables. Well worth the money spent 

Edited by DSD_Fan
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, DSD_Fan said:

I bought a P10 last week. Amazing. I have since added a Synergistic Research quantum Blue fuse and added even more detail :

Don’t tell me that... bank account has been smashed in the last few weeks, don’t need more things to buy!! ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jhsg said:

Don’t tell me that... bank account has been smashed in the last few weeks, don’t need more things to buy!! ;) 

I hear you lol

Blue fuse and some Voodoo/Isotek power cables is all you need :) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DSD_Fan said:

I hear you lol

Blue fuse and some Voodoo/Isotek power cables is all you need :) 

The power conditioner is more than sufficient.

Spend the rest on better speaker and IC cables.

Just my 02 and my experience/s.

YMMV.

• Like 2

Just now, rantan said:

@Jhsg

I am so pleased it has worked out so well for you mate.

Isn't it great when you buy something which completely exceeds even your most hopeful expectations?:):thumb:

Thanks mate! 

Totally agree... lots of snake oil in this game. Problem is you need to let your ears decided and without trying everything there’s always an itch that needs a scratch. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Decky said:

I keep thinking - is that snake oil conductive - because if it is, I could patent some liquid cables and sell them for ....

100 Billion Dollars - You Complete Me | Make a Meme

about 15-20yrs ago I heard someone used mercury as a conductor- now i'm not sure how they went about filling a tube and attaching it to a connector. Not sure if that person is still alive.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jhsg said:

Thanks mate! 

Totally agree... lots of snake oil in this game. Problem is you need to let your ears decided and without trying everything there’s always an itch that needs a scratch. 

Snake Oil statements are generally created by people that are blinkered with science. Not all, but this is where it comes from. Hats off to you mate for making the decision and step.

Running a separate 30 amp circuit from the DB will help as well.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jhsg said:

This week, with great doubt and trepidation, I bought a ps audio P3 power conditioner.

Here’s me thinking it’s more snake oil and the money would be better spent on other things. Turns out it’s made a massive difference to staging, depth and overall sound quality. 

Still not convinced there’s any meaningful difference between a $200 cable and a $2000 cable but upgrading power has been a worthy investment. 

?

Good work. And yes try some Audiophile Power Cables. You don't have to spend a fortune on them. They certainly work for me.

3 hours ago, Decky said:

I keep thinking - is that snake oil conductive - because if it is, I could patent some liquid cables and sell them for ....

100 Billion Dollars - You Complete Me | Make a Meme

You only need to sell one unit and you are made. 

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
3 hours ago, rantan said:

@Jhsg

Isn't it great when you buy something which completely exceeds even your most hopeful expectations?:):thumb:

How the F*** would I know?!? ???

Guest jakeyb77
3 hours ago, misternavi said:

about 15-20yrs ago I heard someone used mercury as a conductor- now i'm not sure how they went about filling a tube and attaching it to a connector. Not sure if that person is still alive.

I can confirm this is the case........ I’ve seen and held the cables.

@Tubularbells knows a bit about them. 
May have been Trevor Lees 

Edited by jakeyb77

2 hours ago, misternavi said:

Why wouldn’t they be alive? Mercury is still very much in use as a conductor, for tilt switches:

https://au.rs-online.com/web/c/automation-control-gear/industrial-switches/mercury-tilt-switches/

Liquid mercury isn’t particularly poisonous either, it’s the vapours and many mercury compounds that are to be avoided.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rantan said:

The power conditioner is more than sufficient.

Spend the rest on better speaker and IC cables.

Just my 02 and my experience/s.

YMMV.

Agreed. But as I already had great speaker cables and IC's I wanted to try the fuse (and got it cheap) 

But the P10 is the best thing I've done so far 

19 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I used to have mercury fuses in my audio. They split and then reform like the terminator ?

I know, right? Mercury is one of the most captivating toys nature has invented :D

Now, i don't have anything fancy like you guys but, I've done my own testing with my PS Audio Dectet, and the difference is very obvious and immediate. Just cleaner, smoother vocals. Running cheapo EGM and sommer power cables.

• Like 1

So I’ve found one flaw...

I just switched over to HT bypass and I’ve got some noise coming from my tv. When I remove the HDMI from my AVR it disappears. Assume it’s because the tv / AVR / power amps aren’t sharing the same earth? Problem is the tv power is up on the wall so can’t run it to the power conditioner. 

Five steps forward - two steps back. 

4 hours ago, Jhsg said:

?

So you spent approx $3000 for that thing? Wow. I got I would say "same effect" with Behringer Ultra Curve Pro for say 6 times less money, but still playing lotto :-)

• Like 1