Used vs demo time line

Using cars and the auto industry as an analogy to make it easier to understand convey concepts in other industries is a wonderful thing, but tends to fall down when we get into the specifics.

10 hours ago, audiofeline said:

I would think used is sold and previously owned by someone other than the store. 

Demo is new stock which has been on display and used to demonstrate the gear for sales purposes. 

- Items demoed for a few weeks would be considered "as new" (provided they were undamaged with original packaging). 

- Items demoed for several years, and being powered on daily for many hours, are still demo items, but I would expect that the sales price reflects the amount of use they have had, and be priced at least what the used price would be (or less if it's had extensive use over that time).

absolutely it will.... most retailers usually take a bath on demos... but true demos... not one taken out the box to demo to you and played for 5 min !  If its been in store demoing maybe even lent to folk to check out... and usually at end of model run and when theres no need to keep a demo any more ... is when you get a discount on it far more than a new item.

though in all cases as a demo a full warranty is the bonus and often what is perfectly pristine in condition ... as dealers usually look after ... though if banged up looking very used abused ...of course expect it to be discounted suitably :) 

4 hours ago, Telecine said:

I think the way to look at it is to imagine if it were a car at a dealer. What price would a dealer expect to get for a 3 year old model with a reasonable number of kms? I would suggest that they would struggle to sell it with a 20% discount.

not a car though... analogies fall down with cars because with cars things like date of build serve as key factor.. thing could be brand new not registered just it was built in dec and its now mar.... it takes a crash in price ... everyone wants current year build the one built in jan current year instead as resale is dependant on the build year....but with cars supply demand also a factor... with my car... when i went in to buy (I didnt needs to demo as had demoed prior) but they didnt even have car to demo...anywhere.. as last of breed it was a sell out and with a lead time from the factory ...even demos people had snapped up and paid more for than new ! yeah can you believe it ? if a dealer got hold of a demo they were charging a premium if you wanted one now ! :D i myself factory ordered at a nice discount :D 

i myself would never buy a demo of my car... chances are its many cold starts at dealer ship and flogged with pedal to metal straight out the lot :D and probably thrashed around the streets and what not !  also with demos in case of cars ... you dont get full warranty its usually ...balance of new car warranty...because warranty starts from when car registered ....which makes sense in case of cars...

with hifi its usually on the sale... so if you buy a demo expect full warranty...

however if its been a demo for dealer for some years ... expect a suitable discount...but also dont expect dealer take a bath if dont have too... ie if he is going to have to shell out and buy another ....and then take a bath on that as well :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telecine said:

The date of manufacture is still relevant to resale value. A three year old item is, objectively viewed, worth less than an item one month old.

its not like cars... tell me who in for sales is asking people for the build date please ? :D its usually how old is it ... as in when did you buy it rarely do you know build date... very few makers even share than info ... I know of two.... musical fidelity and elektra ....

in reality will find manufacturers themselves often produce in job lot.... they might a big batch at start and release of model and make no more ...if item was a turkey and never flew :D

so 3 years later if you bought new its quite possible you will get a 3 year ago made item... but still new...been boxed up sitting in a warehouse

of course as does happen with supply and demand you usually get a larger discount 3 years down the track than at release time....

does anyone even pay rrp anymore ? 

at end its really again  down to what seller willing to sell for and what buyer will to pay isnt it ? 

someone expecting a discount on a demo item the retailer not that keen to part with is on a hiding to nothing ....

• Like 1

The build date is recorded on many items or can be determined from serial numbers. As you say, people do ask how old it is when the item is being resold, so age does affect value.

Bricks and mortar sales of Hi Fi items is a tough gig, especially at the moment but I would say that it is a buyers market.