The Last of Us 2- what did you think?

I finished the story this afternoon.

TBH the story went along the lines I thought it was going to go, so I wasn't really surprised at the final chapters.

The whole premise of the game seemed to be about self inspection of what makes up your personality, both main charterers went to extremes and back.

It didn't have the emotional impact of the original for me, as there were a lot more peripheral characters that kept reappearing at different stages, which sort of diluted the story a bit as you never got to like or dislike them.

Thankfully I got all the collectables out of the way, so now I've just have to start a New Game + to level up the charterers and the weapons for the Platinum.

If you don't know already, this game has a rather screwy save system once you have finished your first play through.

What you need to do is once the end credits have run, and the New Game+ and Chapters options appear.

Go to chapters and choose the last chapter Epilogue, start that then make a manual save of it, then exit to main menu.

What happens if you DON't do this manual save of the last chapter, is if you go straight to Chapters to replay a level - say chapter 3 to get something you missed, once you got the missing thing you exit to the main menu, but if you go to choose another different chapter you will find all chapters after chapter 3 are Not Available....stupid I know.

The way around it is to quit the game, start it up again and load the Manual saved last chapter and then all the chapter appear again.....so you have to remember NOT to overight that manual save, otherwise a very long second playthrough for you.

You just have to repeat doing this for each chapter you might be missing stuff from.

Edited by Tweaky

Guest thathifiguy

I haven't read your post Tweaky, just in case there are spoilers - Maybe update title to indicate one way or another.

I am making my way through, just made it past the TV station. Really loving it, feels the same, but better.

Also loving not running out of blades this time around.

I just Platted it.

If you pretty well got most of your character Health and Weapon upgrades done on 1st play through .......say missing 3 of health and 3 weapons upgrades with each character, you should only have to play through till Abbie reaches the area where the Chinese Medicine shop is before everything is maxe'd .

It's a bit torturous having to play through the entire first Ellie section before you can quickly finish the game playing as Abbie within 30 minutes, as I'd maxe'd out Ellie health and weapons in the game + playthrough.

Even skipping whole sections and skipping cut scenes it took around 12 hours only because you can't skip ahead.

One thing I did notice in the latter stages of my New Game + playthrough was in the very last stages of the game where you finish playing as Ellie for the first time, her stealth attack becomes unresponsive, as you can sneak up on a enemy and wait for the stealth attack prompt and nothing happens, you just squat there hoping the enemy hasn't spotted you.

The same thing happens with Abbie when in the next chapters it switches over to controlling her.

Edited by Tweaky

Guest thathifiguy

I am loving it so far, I honestly don't know how people have finished it so quickly though! I feel like I have poured most of my free time over the past week into it and I'm still going! 

Finished it on Wednesday after some long sessions.  To be honest I loved it, thought it was so much more detailed in every way compared to the first. I think it does such a good job of exploring several different characters in the game and gave great context to different perspectives of them. It was beautifully crafted,  not only graphically and game play, but the way it unfolded. 
I can see that some would find it polarising, but the online hate campaign has been ridiculous. Goes to show that there are a heap of people cant deal with the big event that happens pretty early in the game and the fact there are playable sections with others characters.
Also the relationship between Ellie and Dina has been criticised heavily, but I think Naughty Dog did a beautiful job of portraying it. It’s not like it wasn’t know about Ellie’s orientation before this game. 
Anyway, I loved it and am looking forward to the next play through. 

18 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

I am loving it so far, I honestly don't know how people have finished it so quickly though! I feel like I have poured most of my free time over the past week into it and I'm still going! 

I tend to try and get every collectible in a game ASAP, I search EVERYWHERE slowly, which on the LOU2 means having to kill every enemy in every area before your able to do a full search, not only to being able to search the areas, but a few enemies are actually carrying artifacts which you can only get once they are dead.

There are around 10 places within the game where you have to turn back on yourself and take a slightly different path/ get to a previously unattainable area to get collectables [ Broken floors in apartment buildings], which means NOT following the direction arrow if you are pressing L3 for directions of where you should go next. [Tip: Ladders can usually be placed in more than one area - the game will give you a prompt when you are close]

When it came to the end of the game and then going through the chapter select section to see what I was missing and from where, it turned out I was only missing around 6-7 items and only in the first 3 chapters.

There is the chapter 'The Park' where you might find you are missing artifacts [only 3 in the chapter], this brief chapter is similar to the one in TLOU where you first get to play as Ellie, in this case Abbie will already have 2 of the needed 3 artifacts on her, you need to open her bag and read them for them to register as found while playing this chapter, they don't register if found if opened in a latter chapter, all items in your inventory marked with a white dot next to them need to be opened and read to register as found, so always best to do so when you first get one.

You'll probably find the coins the biggest PITA to find, as with a lot of them you have to basically be standing right over the top of them before you'll find them.

There is also 1 card found in a dispensing machine in a theater that you need to smash the glass to get, it's not visible when you walk up to the machine, even after smashing the glass it's not actually visible, it's only when standing very close to the machine after the glass is smashed will it even register as something being there.....drove me nuts trying to find this.

There are also several cards found in vehicles that you need to smash the glass to get, but at least you can see these.

Guest thathifiguy

I am still on my first playthrough, having put roughly two hours in each night, it is massive!

Finished it a couple of nights ago.  I understand how it can be divisive, but I personally enjoyed it.  This has got to be the best animation I have seen in games.  Both in play and in the cut scenes.  So much detail everywhere - the work that went into this is mind boggling.

The end did drag quite a bit though.  They really could have ended it a few hours earlier.  On hard I think I finished it in the 38 hour mark - took many pictures on the way, and savoured every moment of it.

I'd love to see this on the PS5 like they did with the first one remastered for PS4.

Just skimmed the above post as I'm only up to Seattle Day 3 on my own going to the aquarium. I'm playing on a PS4 Pro and the constant rain and flooding makes for a very atmospheric and detailed world. It's a bleak game and you kill more humans than zombies, but thats the world it creates. Loving it so far.

I'll come back once I'm done :) 

Guest thathifiguy

After finishing, I felt like I needed time to process it all, but after a couple of days, I had to restart and play again.

Typing while the end credits are rolling now..

Bought a ps4 pro for it. Played the game on 4k with 7.1 surround.  Has been a sensational experience. Sound change direction when you are turning. Helped spotting the enemy. 

its a bit like an interactive  movie. Great sound design and beautiful graphics. Well worth the money Considering its over 45 hrs play time. 

The story is emotional but falls into the old revenge recipe. Also could have more difficult puzzle solving and challenging boss fights. 

Overall I give it 9/10

On 13/07/2020 at 7:05 AM, blainn said:

I wanted to play The last of us " but I read so many negative reviews online so I dropped it. But you guys seem to like this game.

They don't like it because of their feelings were hurt. Not because of the game. 

• Like 1

On 13/07/2020 at 7:05 AM, blainn said:

I wanted to play The last of us " but I read so many negative reviews online so I dropped it. But you guys seem to like this game.

If you have played the first game and enjoyed it, the second is just a continuation of it, both in look and gameplay [although more gun orientated this time around]

What has got the naysayers offside with it is the story line.

They expected a comfy satisfaction level to Pt2 [comfy as in already having an emotional vested interest in the charterers from Pt 1 ] but that's not how the story progressed.

I think the WAY the story played out has something to do with this backlash, as you don't understand the reason for a major event in the game till you are a lot further into it, and even then it's not all that clear because quite a bit of the story is told in Flashback moments, it's only at the last 2 or 3 chapters that the whole story makes complete sense.

Which is ironic, because most of the negative reviews were posted WAY before anybody except reviewers who had test copies, could have got to the end of the game.

So methinks a lot of those reviews are just BSing gamers that just jumped on the bandwagon of slagging the game off ASAP, without actually playing through the whole thing.....that's the internet generation for you, everybody is out to vent their opinion just because they can.....hell even the President does it.

Then you have the whole Ellie being Gay situation, which even just being in a game it seems that puritanical, gun toting Americans just can't deal with, and just post their disgust online dragging the general score of the game down.

The game doesn't deserve those kind of blatantly biased indignant reviews, and if those are the types of reviews that have put you off purchasing the game, all I can say is ignore them.

The other irony about this whole review disparity for the game is that has basically broken off into factions.

Which is exactly what has happened in the games story line, the infected are no longer the major threat, it's other humans that have broken off into groups that are the main problem.

Life imitates Art...Oscar Wilde

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Well put @Tweaky

Thanks.

I find it annoying that Naughty Dog thought it was making a game for MATURE GROWN UP GAMERS, and went out on a limb by making a R 18+ rated game, which broke the mold of what game characters could and should be.

It could have played it safe and gone for a lower censorship rating, thus getting bigger sales.

It would seem a LOT of those gamers aren't mature at all, and as such, the TLOU2's story line goes way over their ability to comprehend things that they don't have direct experience with.

I'd love to see the demographic breakdown of the people who posted negative reviews, but TBH, I'm pretty sure I know what that would look like already :hairy::hiccup ??️

Edited by Tweaky

On 14/07/2020 at 5:38 AM, Tweaky said:

If you have played the first game and enjoyed it, the second is just a continuation of it, both in look and gameplay [although more gun orientated this time around]

What has got the naysayers offside with it is the story line.

They expected a comfy satisfaction level to Pt2 [comfy as in already having an emotional vested interest in the charterers from Pt 1 ] but that's not how the story progressed.

I think the WAY the story played out has something to do with this backlash, as you don't understand the reason for a major event in the game till you are a lot further into it, and even then it's not all that clear because quite a bit of the story is told in Flashback moments, it's only at the last 2 or 3 chapters that the whole story makes complete sense.

Which is ironic, because most of the negative reviews were posted WAY before anybody except reviewers who had test copies, could have got to the end of the game.

So methinks a lot of those reviews are just BSing gamers that just jumped on the bandwagon of slagging the game off ASAP, without actually playing through the whole thing.....that's the internet generation for you, everybody is out to vent their opinion just because they can.....hell even the President does it.

Then you have the whole Ellie being Gay situation, which even just being in a game it seems that puritanical, gun toting Americans just can't deal with, and just post their disgust online dragging the general score of the game down.

The game doesn't deserve those kind of blatantly biased indignant reviews, and if those are the types of reviews that have put you off purchasing the game, all I can say is ignore them.

The other irony about this whole review disparity for the game is that has basically broken off into factions.

Which is exactly what has happened in the games story line, the infected are no longer the major threat, it's other humans that have broken off into groups that are the main problem.

Life imitates Art...Oscar Wilde

Thanks!

I will definitely try the game out now-. 

• Like 1

I finally made it through. It was gory but rewarding experience, even though the body count of humans rather than zombies is ridiculous. This time campaign really felt like a Walking Dead TV show season, hidden groups of people fighting amongst themselves with lots of guns!

The world detail was amazing (as expected from Naught Dog) and I really enjoy the look and sound of all the water and rain. The set piece moments where also great especially in the Abby section of game play, stuck in a tiny house with infected jumping in as you wait for a door to be opened, hunting down Tommy as he snipes at you, climb down the infested skyscraper with Lev, the burning village to name a few. The ones I couldn't wait to be over was the underground train station and the hospital basement, not scary but intense with your tiny torch to light your way :P 

The game did a great job of making me like Abby and I like how it was a gender swap of Joel and Ellie with her a Lev. I do think the game could have stopped at Tommy guilting Ellie into hunting her down again to setup a 3.

Now some time for over cooked or something lighter for a bit :D 

Edited by PauliD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PauliD said:

. The ones I couldn't wait to be over was the underground train station and the hospital basement, not scary but intense with your tiny torch to light your way :P 

The game did a great job of making me like Abby and I like how it was a gender swap of Joel and Ellie with her a Lev. I do think the game could have stopped at Tommy guilting Ellie into hunting her down again to setup a 3.

Now some time for over cooked or something lighter for a bit :D 

The Train Station bit is so easy and quite fun.

All you have to do as soon as you find yourself in the area is to sneak out of the train carriage and grab one of the several bottles lying on the right, then go back into the carriage and lob a bottle from it and into one of the far rooms on either side, the infected will come out on masse and they will attack the armed people searching for you, and visa versa, do that a couple of times and sit back and watch them destroy each other, neither will enter the carriage whilst they are fighting.

The Hospital basement was a the hardest part of the game IMHO, what made it even harder for me was I kept mistakenly pressing R3 whilst trying to escape that boss infected and turning my torch off, so I couldn't see where the hell I was going....I lost count of how many times I died during that part of the game. epic fail.?

The other bit I found hard was trying to get through the area where you had to lie flat and crawl through the overgrown plants, I got detected every time and basically resorted to crossing that small stream and just running through the area and jumping down off the broken bridge.

As for a TLOU3, the way this one finished I think both Ellie and Abbie are just over fighting period, so I suspect that there will be a third party/group in the third installment that will trigger them both meeting up and eventually joining forces against that common foe.

Possibly that third party could be a resurgence of the Firefly group now that the previously kept secret of Ellie being immune becomes known by more people.