I've inherited a pair of Jamo 707i floor standing speakers (in black).

I'm looking for a second hand amplifier that will handle them, from what I understand they're a little power hungry!

Details below from Hifi Review:

"Parameters specifications module of input impedance are quite loyal load for the amplifier: average is 8.6 Ohm, nominal impedance is 3.5 Ohm, standard deviation is +/-3,2 Ohm, maximum is (2 kHz) 16 Om. The setting's frequency of the resonator is 55 Hz. Rated power is 200 W, a valid short-term exposure is to 280 watts. The average sensitivity in the range of 100 Hz - 20 kHz, according to our estimates is very decent - 89 dB."

Trying to understand what will handle them.

And that might cost around the $500 range (second hand).

Yamaha A-S501?

Yamaha A-S701?

Also saw a NAD 7600 in the classifieds here which looks to be an absolute beast?

Hope I followed the rules with this post!

Thank you audio gods, I am not yet worthy.

Posted (edited)

Others to look out for are vintage Yamaha PA2200 and 2201 200w 8ohm and capable down to 2 ohm for around $250-700. They are are PA amp with minimal input connection and volume control which can be used without preamp but better with one, decent sound and solid build.

Also, Adcom 555 power amp, NAD 216, Pioneer 717, Quad 405.

Edited by Al.M

@heathygeorge, have you bought an amp yet?, if so what did you get, how does it sound to you?

On 02/07/2020 at 4:14 PM, wen said:

@heathygeorge, have you bought an amp yet?, if so what did you get, how does it sound to you?

Hey Guys! Thank you for your help.

I found a Yamaha A-S701 for $500 which I thought was a pretty good deal.
Speakers sound great, they're extremely crisp. 

Definitely lack a bit of that really pushy bass sound but probably a good thing for now as I live in an apartment.

Where Will You Be by YAW sounds great on them.

well done, a solid amp, your speakers at 55hz wont give you deep bass reguardless of what amp you use, but enjoy the quality sound you have now

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Vladas
      Item Condition: Used 9/10 - mint; from smoke free house Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Frankston State: Victoria Payment Method: PayPal, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Downsizing Further information:  
      RRP price: $8000 direct from the maker.

All Tube Class A 35 watts per channel mono blocks.

Weight: 25 kg per mono block - total 50 kg.
      Dimensions per one mono block: Width – 30cm Depth – 45cm Height – 20cm.

Original tubes supplied per mono block:
      13E1 – 1 UK, NOS
      12AU7 – 1 USA, NOS
      ECC-99 – 1 Slovak Republic, New

Arguably the best tube power amplifier ever crafted in Australia.
      Almost 4 years old, but not much used - on some weekends only.
      With original tubes which are still running very well.
      Regretful sale.

Excerpts from Edgar Kramer, 6moons Review:

The SE-35 is the most transparent, vivid and immediate sounding amplifier I’ve
      ever had in my system. It’s the most real, clear and true. It communicates not only the most delicate and accurate harmonic information allowing instrument and voice alike to sound their most lifelike but it also translates the phenomenon that pours from a musician’s creative mojo onto the recording and then via the wonders of electrons and oscillating magnetic forces to your ears and brain.

Elson’s philosophy revolves around four main aspects at the core of all his designs from which everything else follows naturally:
      The best materials from around the world
      Optimized design simplicity resulting in ultra quiet circuits and absolute reliability
      Outstanding measured performance
      Sonic excellence with full-range sound

The other special element of today’s monoblocks are its transformers. These are massively over-engineered hand-wound units custom-made for Elson to his strict design specifications. These things are enormous in size and weight and use the best ingredients and geometry. "First you have to make the output transformer large enough to cater to the high current demanded by the valve so there is no core saturation. The air gap must be very critically set or else the bass will be loose and distortion high. In my transformer designs I use the best iron cores imported from Israel and Japan and the best insulating material available. The output transformer of any valve amp is the heart of the matter.”

A further design element is variable negative feedback from 0dB to 6dB. This allows a certain and useful adjustment for different speakers. Elson is adamant that his feedback control has zero impact on signal purity but can reap benefits in bass quality. More feedback provides tighter bass control, less feedback the opposite. In the context of my system and room I used about 3dB. This gave me a superb balance of tight bass and midrange beauty. The specs are a mix of classic valve and 21st century precision (bearing in mind that this is a SET design). As its name suggests, the SE-35 puts out a conservative 35 watts into either 8Ω or 4Ω over 20Hz to 20kHz. Power bandwidth is 35 watts from 30Hz to 18kHz ±1dB. Input impedance is 100kΩ and damping factor 16. Harmonic distortion at full power is 2.8% with a signal to
      noise ratio of 90dB.

The SE-35 presents an unimpeded portal into micro detail and otherwise buried low-level minutiae in a totally cohesive and music-enhancing way. It sings with a voice that mimics 3D reality. It’s built to last, an absolute bargain, as quiet as any solid-state design measured ear to tweeter.

Excerpts from my review on Stereonet in 2017:

The idea of Reality Audio class came to my mind for the first time when I had opportunity to listen to a demo of Cymer Audio “Southern Cross SE-35” power amplifier. The sound coming from this amplifier was overwhelming, the closest approximation of live music which I have ever heard. If you leave the room and listen, you could SWEAR that the band is playing in the other room because the sound is so natural and realistic. Usually I did my complex comparison tests alone. Often, especially when I had doubts, I invited audiophile friends to listen blindly, who usually arrived to the same conclusions as I did. My past rating on a scale of 1 to 10 - as you see, price tag has little do to with rating:

Denon PMA-1500AE (Japan). Good entry level amplifier, everything OK. 6/10

Jungson DA-88Ti (China). Superior to Denon and Redgum, clearer voice and bigger sound. 7/10

Redgum Rgi60 (Australia). Similar to Denon. 6/10

Orpheus “Two and Three” (Switzerland). Probably the clearest and most pleasant voice of all I heard, however, sound is small, a bit like radio. 9-10 for speech reproduction, otherwise 8/10

Transcendent “Son of the Beast” OTL type (USA). Clean sound, but not engaging. 6-7/10

Melody “Astro Black 300B” (China). Natural sound, but muddy. 8/10 with Russian metal 1578 tubes; otherwise 6-7/10

Ayon “Crossfire (Austria). Clean, but skinny, not natural sound. Sound was worse than upgraded Melody's 7/10

Euphony “Mary Ann” (Japan). Nice all around, but need very sensitive 96+db speakers.
      7-8/10

Cymer Audio “Southern Cross SE-35” (Australia). Closest to reality sound. 10/10 - as reference amplifier.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved  

• By Rocknrollthor
      Tube amplifier homemade? With this post, I would like to advise all of you who believe that output transformers must be purchased that there is an alternative. Purchasing or reusing 'lacqer-insulated' copper wire can be used to make your own output transformer with the help of a computer program created by Yves Monmagnon. Here are two videos where I first make a chatode biased amplifier, then rebuild it into a fixed biased amplifier. In the last video, each tube is checked to be adjusted, and then the entire amplifier is benchmarked with the help of an ocilloscope and RMS voltmeter.
      Here is the two videos of the amp build and testing:

some pics from the 'hifi central':

https://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/threads/2x15w-el34-pp-med-ul-opt-selvbygget.88291/

here is a free google drive link to the program I used to calculate the OPT's:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dzfxdD_2FrEn5WLOeuQDUsqWwd_aUbpS/view?usp=sharing

Take care, and thanks!
    • By Cybrarian
      The amplifiers from Edge Electronic (founded 1987) in the U.S. would fall into this category....consider the NL Reference monoblocks which are Edge Electronics' statement amplifiers. These 800 watt, weigh 440kg mono-blocks are very high voltage, very high current output amplifiers which output 800 Watts per channel @ 8 Ohms; 1600 Watts per channel @ 4 Ohms; 3200 Watts per channel @ 2...did I hear someone mention the Tower of Babel?

• By Smako
      Item: Amplifier 
      Price Range: 350
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: Looking for amplifier to pair with KEF Q150.  Good conditions items and Sydney pickup only.

Yamaha WXA-50 MusicCast 2.1 Channel Amplifier
      Yamaha A-S501 Integrated Amplifier
      NAD 3020 V2 Stereo Amplifier

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

• By Ednnf
      Item Condition: Used. As new conditions Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Kangaroo Point 4169, QLD State: Queensland Payment Method: PayPal, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Upgrade. No longer needed Further information:

This unit was purchased in March, perfect conditions. Comes with original packaging and accessories (remote etc.). Upgrading to Naim system hence selling this unit. 

Local pick up is preferred, can post on buyer’s expense. 

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved