Supratek Sauvignon newbie Q's

Hi everyone,

I introduced myself from England when my 2009 Supratek Sauvignon arrived:

It took me a few messages to MIck and others to work out what all the switches do as the handcrafted "manual" has several omissions/errors:

• Left and right gain switch directionality: obvious in use of course
  • Mute switch rear centre not mentioned
  • Most significantly I thought I had a failed input as the Tape Record and Tape Play connectors are the opposite way round to the diagram

Anyway all is up and running and sounding rather fine.

Q1 Remote: the remote was not working. I changed the batteries, followed the reprogramming steps but I still cannot change the volume remotely. The light flickers on the remote as you'd expect. Am I missing a clever trick or is my remote control module in the amp suspect?

Q2 Phono stage: there is reference in the manual to the sensitivity of the phono stage. As far as I know I don't have one... Does anyone else? I know the manual is pretty generic but there is no "where fitted"...

Q3: Gain settings: would it be correct to call the top-mouned switches "coarse adjustment" and the rear 6-position knob "fine"? I can hear a difference between vertical and the next but not with any further turns. I am happy with how mine is set up, just curious.

Many thanks,

Nigel

• Administrator

I think Mick would be the best person to answer those questions ultimately. :thumb:

That's the best part about boutique and bespoke manufacturers, they're accessible.

Like you I am very new to the Supratek, with a 2nd hand Cabernet DHT and I was told that they all have their differences. and that Mick supplies lifetime support.    The guy who sold it to me, Thi is very knowledgeable and helped me enormously  ... especially in valve selection which makes a huge difference to the type of sound (what you listen to) that you want ... mine sounds amazing ... 

So I recommend going back to Mick or whom ever you brought it from  ...  enjoy

• Like 1

I spoke to Mick recently and he is really busy with orders /inquiries  so he might take a while to respond to general questions.It seems everybody wants a Supratek nowadays.

My remote stopped working for a while but I gave it a clean and new batteries and now it works again!Also check the position of the detector on the bottom of the cabinet.

3 hours ago, Marc said:

I think Mick would be the best person to answer those questions ultimately. :thumb:

That's the best part about boutique and bespoke manufacturers, they're accessible.

Accessible but “taciturn” perhaps. I’ve already asked a few questions and got accurate, helpful and brief answers like “yes”. ?

20 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Accessible but “taciturn” perhaps. I’ve already asked a few questions and got accurate, helpful and brief answers like “yes”. ?

Yes you have described Mick but I have always found him direct and to the point. I'm cool with that

Q1 - if its not functioning get it repaired. Yes you may need a new control and or a motorised pot

Q2- you don't have a phono stage in the Sauvignon. If you want a phono pre buy the Cortese

Q3- you should be able to figure out what the toggle switched on top does buy taking the bottom panel off and seeing where the wires go. TX output will have lower gain and capacitor output higher gain. The volume control on the back is a Master Vol control.

Hope that helps. BTW I have a Cortese FYI

Edited by Gryffles
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, THOMO said:

I spoke to Mick recently and he is really busy with orders /inquiries  so he might take a while to respond to general questions.It seems everybody wants a Supratek nowadays.

My remote stopped working for a while but I gave it a clean and new batteries and now it works again!Also check the position of the detector on the bottom of the cabinet.

Cheers Thomo! Good and bad news... I now know where the remote detector is, but it was flattened against the bottom of the case, either in transit or before. In the vertical position now, it doesn’t work. At least I know what needs repairing.

3 hours ago, Gryffles said:

Yes you have described Mick but I have always found him direct and to the point. I'm cool with that

Q1 - if its not functioning get it repaired. Yes you may need a new control and or a motorised pot

Q2- you don't have a phono stage in the Sauvignon. If you want a phono pre buy the Cortese

Q3- you should be able to figure out what the toggle switched on top does buy taking the bottom panel off and seeing where the wires go. TX output will have lower gain and capacitor output higher gain. The volume control on the back is a Master Vol control.

Hope that helps. BTW I have a Cortese FYI

Thanks for this. I have no problem with Mick’s brevity, in fact I find it quite refreshing! I also guessed, as has been confirmed, that he is extremely busy fulfilling a backlog of orders.

Just to be clear, mine is an early Sauvignon and the guy who sold it to me did so as a Chardonnay (which he had bought it as). Mine has balanced outs and Mick confirmed it is a Sauvignon from the serial number. Not sure if this makes a difference to the specs.

I do find it frustrating that the Sauvignon instructions mention a photo stage and possible bleed through, whereas the Chardonnay makes no mention, if there is no phono stage in the Sauvignon. I use an external stage anyway, it’s just the unlabelled inputs combined with incorrect instructions is confusing.

On (3), The top gain switches are obvious in use but the knob at the back isn’t not something I would describe as a “master”. It seems to adjust at the first position but make little or no difference beyond that. I’ll experiment further. I’ll also get the bottom off it!

Thanks 

• Like 1