Sony used to make some lovely gear.

Some time ago I picked up as Sony TA777ES AV amp.The amp came with a Bose acoustimass 10 system which I sold on for $500 so effectively the amp cost me nothing.

The amp is a beast @ 23.5 kg but as it turned out it has the common digital board problem and consequently the rear chn's have no output when using a digital feed.

Alan R very kindly had a look at the digital board but despite all his work it was not repairable.

HOWEVER;) the amp still works on all the front chn's in digital mode and works perfectly as an analogue 5.1 amp.

The dacs in the beasty are BB1704'S and feeding a 2ch digital signal from my media tank results in quite amazing sound quality.

I have my Denon 2900 connected to the analogue 5.1 inputs for SACD and DVD-A and so all bases are pretty much covered for music replay.

A big thanks to Alan for all his work , he checked and reset the bias on all the power amps as well as tackling the digital board.

The Sony blows my previous Denon 3600 Avr out of the water for sound quality and so I am a rather happy chappy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32380[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32381[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32382[/ATTACH]

Some of those older AVRs are terrific value for money, nice one. I notice you have the Gales pretty heavily toed in- have you done much experimenting with that?

Yes Ozcal I agree - Sony used to make great stuff. The 777ES SACD player was my first exposure to Sony high end esoterica (but regrettably I didn't own it) - better built than a battleship. I was hoping that they would release some nice things when they launched Blu-Ray, but the BDP-1 was nothing compared to Sony's previous efforts.

Some of those older AVRs are terrific value for money, nice one. I notice you have the Gales pretty heavily toed in- have you done much experimenting with that?

Hi Bear , just rejigged the Gales again the other day.Had them less toed in for a long while but this position seems to give the best balance of stage width , focus and most importantly tunefullnes ( coherancy).

The Gales are imho very sensitive to positioning , they will always sound pretty good but once you hit on the right position the speakers just disapear and you are rewarded with an almost holigraphic sound presentation.

Gale recommeded corner positioning for the speakers with the axies crossing just in front of your listening position but this doesn't work in my room as the sound is to diffuse and lacks bite :)

Edited by ozcal

Yes Ozcal I agree - Sony used to make great stuff. The 777ES SACD player was my first exposure to Sony high end esoterica (but regrettably I didn't own it) - better built than a battleship. I was hoping that they would release some nice things when they launched Blu-Ray, but the BDP-1 was nothing compared to Sony's previous efforts.

Keith I well remember all the early Sony ES cd players.

I was also lucky enough to hear a range of the Sony Esprit range of pre and power amps and the build quality made the ES stuff look humble.

Edited by ozcal

Well there are two types of Japanese high end. The first type are the engineering driven companies - like Sony, Accuphase, Esoteric, Rotel, and Pioneer. For sure they make a lot of mass market rubbish but when they want to they can make some unbelievably nice stuff. The second type are the cottage industry high enders - Kondo Audio Note, 47 Labs, Zanden, Wavac, Yamamoto, and Leben. The two halves of Jap hi-fi are surprising in different ways :)

Well there are two types of Japanese high end. The first type are the engineering driven companies - like Sony, Accuphase, Esoteric, Rotel, and Pioneer. For sure they make a lot of mass market rubbish but when they want to they can make some unbelievably nice stuff. The second type are the cottage industry high enders - Kondo Audio Note, 47 Labs, Zanden, Wavac, Yamamoto, and Leben. The two halves of Jap hi-fi are surprising in different ways :)

Keith you forgot to add Luxman to the first group!

Guest Hensa

Bit of a closet Sony fan, myself. Here's my PS-8750 - cracking turntable!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32386[/ATTACH]

System's looking great, Ozcal.

Hi ozcal,

Bit off topic, but... i see you have your TV sitting on top of a separate shelf with a component underneath. Is this shelf something you made yourself or did you buy? This would be perfect for me to place my center speaker in.

Cheers,

Hi ozcal,

Bit off topic, but... i see you have your TV sitting on top of a separate shelf with a component underneath. Is this shelf something you made yourself or did you buy? This would be perfect for me to place my center speaker in.

Cheers,

I found the 'hutch' during a verge clearance, BR :)

Contact Aslan ( above ) as I am sure Andrew will be able to build something to suit from his new range of equipment supports

Edited by ozcal

Bit of a closet Sony fan, myself. Here's my PS-8750 - cracking turntable!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32386[/ATTACH]

System's looking great, Ozcal.

Thnaks Hensa. The room always looks narrower in photos than it is in life. It's a comfortable room that really contains 2 systems : one for sitting down to and one for casual listening. The addition of the VA777ES has raised the sound of the casual listening side to a much higher level.

Your turntable looks very nice indeed!