Honreekea

Closed Bback or Noise Cancelling Headphones

The wife doesn't mind that there are 1.2 m tall speakers that she has to walk around in the lounge to get to the balcony.

She doesn't care that there are cables she needs to step over on the way to the bedroom.

She gladly helps me lift the 30kg amps into the system rack.

But she won't put up with having to hear the sound system in the back ground when she watches the Voice on TV.

SO:  do I get her Closed Back headphones for the TV or noise cancelling ones?  

My 2 cents is on the closed backs. In my mind, noise cancelling works best on droning like sounds as on a plane, etc not a music as it will be in the background as well as in the foreground and the circuitry for the noise cancelling would get confused.....

What does the brains trust think?

Noise Cancelling are still closed back. So they offer isolation regardless. Benefit of being bluetooth, and having noise cancelling.

Can you pair BT headphones to your TV? I can to mine, so based on all that alone, I would just go a Bose QC35/700 or the Sony equivalent.

Posted (edited)

Also, be aware that some BT headphones are going to give a delay, which makes watching TV while using them a PITA.

Edited by mickeyjuiceman

Yeah. QC35 pairs fine with my TV, delay is fine. But imagine some setups, TV, headphones, may not agree as much.

Thanks for all the replies.

I do realize that noise cancelling headphones are closed in.  I didn't make my initial post clear enough ☺️

My question still remains:  will the noise cancelling headphones make the the sound weird from the TV, as they will be blocking music from outside ?

thanks

No. The are pretty impressive now. Plus you can alter the level of noise cancelling, from effectively zero to full.

13 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

No. The are pretty impressive now. Plus you can alter the level of noise cancelling, from effectively zero to full.

ok...shopping off we go.  Wifey will be very happy!

Many thanks.....

ANC will reduce sound quality. The noise that is inserted is extra noise that goes on top of music and will change the sound. Laws of nature still apply here ;) 

Good noise cancelling headphones like Bose and Sony have microphones that analyse the environment around you. Then they try to produce noise that is the opposite of what's around you (trying to keep it non technical). That means that what ever from your environment may be heard by you is being cancelled out by the produced noise (within limits).

Some people find that ANC gives them ringing in their ears. Some people find a sense of pressure that is uncomfortable. Some people get headaches. Some people have no noticeable side effects.

My recommendation: go for closed back that provides good isolation and skip ANC.  Cleaner sound, and no side effects. ANC is great for noisy environments where the noise is fairly slow changing and uniform for example whilst travelling. I own a set of ANC headphones for that but I use something else at home.

1 minute ago, gwurb said:

ANC will reduce sound quality. The noise that is inserted is extra noise that goes on top of music and will change the sound. Laws of nature still apply here ;) 

Good noise cancelling headphones like Bose and Sony have microphones that analyse the environment around you. Then they try to produce noise that is the opposite of what's around you (trying to keep it non technical). That means that what ever from your environment may be heard by you is being cancelled out by the produced noise (within limits).

Some people find that ANC gives them ringing in their ears. Some people find a sense of pressure that is uncomfortable. Some people get headaches. Some people have no noticeable side effects.

My recommendation: go for closed back that provides good isolation and skip ANC.  Cleaner sound, and no side effects. ANC is great for noisy environments where the noise is fairly slow changing and uniform for example whilst travelling. I own a set of ANC headphones for that but I use something else at home.

oh my.......... a shopping we go in a different direction.  thanks

I know...I'll let wifey decide.  I'll flick her this chat....

Just grab a set of AKG K361

The ANC option is more versatile. Bluetooth or wired. ANC on or off. Was my thought behind recommending them.

30 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

The ANC option is more versatile. Bluetooth or wired. ANC on or off. Was my thought behind recommending them.

hmmmm..... she'll need to try them on first.  Comfort is a big factor here also.  thanks

44 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Yep, get something with NC on/off button or just Bluetooth that seals well over the ears.

For TV watching look for AptX LL. It reduces the delay in audio transmission and makes lip sync not required or minimal. If your TV doesn't have native Bluetooth support then check if your TV can do optical out and get a Bluetooth receiver with optical in. There are a few good receiver options (ranging from cheap to not so cheap) that will do AptX LL.