16 hours ago, muon* said:

Had one remaining 78xx regulator left of 5x 78xx/79xx regs in the Marantz to replace with a Sparko discrete reg', so just did this.

Wasn't sure if I'd gain any improvement from this one but there is subjectively a small but noticeable improvement.

78xx.jpg.2d74fb809e166c2eeb7239fa8acbf0a1.jpg

sparko.jpg.ea4dd5ac0743807f8648d2e0bc23a040.jpg

What do you consider is the reason for one regulator sounding better than another ?

Its an interesting example of the shortcomings of approaching audio with a objective view, The objective mindset would say each are adherence to a voltage and current, and therefore there cannot be any difference, however the subjective outlook has as we can see, far more wisdom.

Edited by stereo coffee

3 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

What do you consider is the reason for one regulator sounding better than another ?

Its an interesting example of the shortcomings of approaching audio with a objective view, The objective mindset would say each are adherence to a voltage and current, and therefore there cannot be any difference, however the subjective outlook has as we can see, far more wisdom.

With a 125db input noise rejection it makes sense that these are better than 78xx/79xx regulators, objectively and can result in the same subjectively.

Maybe find others posts to use to push your agenda and leave me out of it, thanks.

• Like 2

I can't read anything there Muon where coffee was having a crack at you.  We all try to be friendly here.

Anyway, I am quite interested in these regs.  I was not aware of them, but one might just suit perfect when I do a bit of a cap change in my much loved but dead, Audiomeca Kreatura transport.  The reg on that is a dinosaur and there is much heat in that small footprint of the board.  Do we buy them from Sparko direct?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

I am quite interested in these regs.  I was not aware of them, but one might just suit perfect when I do a bit of a cap change in my much loved but dead, Audiomeca Kreatura transport.  The reg on that is a dinosaur and there is much heat in that small footprint of the board.  Do we buy them from Sparko direct?

Yes, direct, or at least that's how I have purchased, this one took a bit longer due to the pandemic being the USA. He has a 20% off first purchase for new customers I think, and often has % off at times for existing ones.

He has them for replaceing 78xx and 79xx types like was in my player and many from that time, but also for 1117xx types.

I noticed they run a tad hotter than originals but if the old ones are heat sinked the same sinks should be sufficient for these. if sinked an isolator heat transfer pad that comes with them needs to be used between then and the sink.

https://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-voltage-regulators-audio-power-supply/

59 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

I can't read anything there Muon where coffee was having a crack at you.  We all try to be friendly here.

Anyway, I am quite interested in these regs.  I was not aware of them, but one might just suit perfect when I do a bit of a cap change in my much loved but dead, Audiomeca Kreatura transport.  The reg on that is a dinosaur and there is much heat in that small footprint of the board.  Do we buy them from Sparko direct?

I bought a few Sparko varieties. Expect to pay big time. 

The error for any audio use, with 78xx and 79xx regs is the shunt resistor they have internally from output to ground.  The resistor programs the regulator to be continuously processing current. Historically it was there more for the reason of offering a device that could be used without a output capacitor, and therefore would work without said capacitor, but with dire consequences for audio. See the page 2 schematic, and spot the resistor from output to ground

http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~valvano/Datasheets/LM7805C.pdf

Subjectively they add a gritty presentation., fine for washing machines but not your audio system.    

13 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Well said.

But quite inaccurate as there was no agenda being pushed. If you can take the time read the post. It was saying there is wisdom in making subjective assessments. 

8 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

13 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Don't be disingenuous.   

Tackle the subject, not the player.  Do you consider there is a audible difference in a audio circuit using a 78xx , lets say its a 7805 , that measures 5v , vs a LM317 also exactly with output of 5v ?

The objective outlook  would say that there is no difference as each measure the same, whereas the subjective outlook easily finds audible difference between the two.   The post by @muon* found subjective difference,  which I praised as having wisdom. 

• Like 1

I didn't post in a thread titled 'regs'

Edit: think there has been a tad of misunderstandings.

I wasn't sure if it would make an audible difference due to circuit position, and the CD-60 SM schematic is very hard to follow in regards to what this reg was actually doing and what it was powering.

Maybe I need to be clearing in my posts, It's so easy for us to take things in different ways when we are left to fill in the blanks.

Edited by muon*