USB cable - USB A to USB B for DAC

Hello SNA,

Can any one recommend a good USB cable for a DAC - USB A to USB B.

Length : atleast 2m

Budget: $100 - $200

Thank you

Edited by Nope
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like I started something ?

Thanks Con for the heads up with this cable. I have a AudioQuest Coffee USB and I am going to compare them. I am just waiting on my PS Audio DirectStream DAC to arrive (today woohoo) and I'll test

No, it's not you. I go on endlessly about how very few USB cables actually meet the spec. Audiophile cable manufacturers cash in on this fact and produce something slightly better at 100-1000x the cos

• 2 weeks later...

I am not someone who likes to spend lots of money on cables but I did buy the Audioquest Carbon USB and I actually noticed a difference compared to a Light Harmonic cable I had, so was impressed. I do recommend it.

But I do love a good value so maybe you try the ones recommended above first.

• Thanks 1

I recommend using Robertson audio cables. Here is a link to the website.

https://robertsonaudiocables.com.au/

I am yet to come across better value cables. These easily compete with much more expensive cables, for a fraction of the price! I compared their top-of-the-line XLR cable, which is the PURE SILVER - (Reference) - Balanced Symmetrical XLR Interconnects (Diamond Range) for $206 to a pair of Audioquest Wind XLR cables at $2290 and the difference was very minimal, if anything the Audioquest had an ever so slightly darker background with a more narrow soundstage but that was it. Not to mention that it took me an hour or so of testing to notice any difference. 

More than highly recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gregory13 said:

I recommend using Robertson audio cables. Here is a link to the website.

https://robertsonaudiocables.com.au/

I am yet to come across better value cables. These easily compete with much more expensive cables, for a fraction of the price! I compared their top-of-the-line XLR cable, which is the PURE SILVER - (Reference) - Balanced Symmetrical XLR Interconnects (Diamond Range) for $206 to a pair of Audioquest Wind XLR cables at $2290 and the difference was very minimal, if anything the Audioquest had an ever so slightly darker background with a more narrow soundstage but that was it. Not to mention that it took me an hour or so of testing to notice any difference. 

More than highly recommend.

OP was after USB cables! Not sure Robertson makes any???

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

OP was after USB cables! Not sure Robertson makes any???

They are not advertised but worth sending Warwick an email to see if he can make one. He might be able to, but even if he doesn't, worth keeping Warwick in mind if any other cables are needed.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Gregory13 said:

They are not advertised but worth sending Warwick an email to see if he can make one. He might be able to, but even if he doesn't, worth keeping Warwick in mind if any other cables are needed.

This is sounding like an advert !  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Snoopy8 said:

This is sounding like an advert !  

HAHAHA... don't worry, it's not an advertisement. I've just bought a couple of products from him and was very impressed. I forgot that he didn't advertise USB cables but had already typed most of it so thought of sending it through anyway. Just a recommendation for cables. 

On 03/07/2020 at 1:02 PM, Ittaku said:

These are excellent if you're not wedded to the idea of spending as much as you've budgeted.

https://www.lindy.com.au/2m-usb-2-0-type-a-to-b-cable-cromo-line

C-ra-zy! I ordered on Friday arvo, arrived Monday morning and i am testing it now. I am testing it against cable that came with another DAC and WOW. I am genuinely impressed.

I think my old cable must have been faulty or something, its a big difference!

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Thanks 1
On 06/07/2020 at 2:29 PM, JPete9 said:

C-ra-zy! I ordered on Friday arvo, arrived Monday morning and i am testing it now. I am testing it against cable that came with another DAC and WOW. I am genuinely impressed.

I think my old cable must have been faulty or something, its a big difference!

Thanks for the recommendation.

You're most welcome. You would be stunned if you learned how few USB cables simply don't meet the USB specification which is pretty much the ONLY thing besides shielding that matters for a USB cable. The cheap throwaway ones almost never do. The vast majority of audio brand USB cables even into the thousands of dollars do NOT meet the spec so there's a good chance the cheap Lindy cable is better than them. You'll see that even though the USB spec says it should only be capable of 5 metre transmission, those Lindy cables come in up to 7.5 metre form, and unlike most other cables on the market, they even list those specs.

• 0.5-5m: 0.5-400MHz < 5.8db
  • 7.5m: 0.5-400MHz < 7.0db      
Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would recommend the $69 OYAIDE Neo d+ Class A -- https://www.mannys.com.au/oyaide-neo-d-usb-2-0-class-a-cable-2m.  These came from their Studio/DJ line have all the specs on there website and are well built for touring.  Its the best cable I have tried (note others where cheap and or printer cables). 

They are double shielded, sliver coated copper (the oxygen comes free with the copper (OFC) ?), gold plated plugs, 90 ohm nominal impedance and have measurements on their website, triple ticks all round (pixie dust, measurements and electrical engineering).   Plus they come in pretty colours too.  Plus Absolute Sound gave them a great review to put my mind at ease too.

Like Ittaku says its important the cables are up to USB 2.0 specs.  If its not, its not a USB cable, its just a cable.  

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, StuDog78 said:

Like Ittaku says its important the cables are up to USB 2.0 specs.  If its not, its not a USB cable, its just a cable.  

Exactly. And if anyone's ever interested in reading the spec for USB 2 cables (I have checked it a few times) it's here: https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/CabConn20.pdf

Pages 17-22 have the requirements to meet specification. Most audiophile cables get fancy with the wire and shielding when they break the spec, applying ideas from analogue cable construction that either don't do anything (harmless) or actually make things worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really feel like i need to post again what a revelation that $16 cable is. I really feel like i am cheating a little bit. I dont have a fancy cable comparo to do...one day i'll buy a special one and compare, but against all of the other cables i have/had its unbelievable.

I know this means all my other cables were total crap and that could just be me...or this is just a better cable?  But how many of us are using simple things like this that are either just faulty or no where near spec? or is this just me?

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

I really feel like i need to post again what a revelation that $16 cable is. I really feel like i am cheating a little bit. I dont have a fancy cable comparo to do...one day i'll buy a special one and compare, but against all of the other cables i have/had its unbelievable.

I know this means all my other cables were total crap and that could just be me...or this is just a better cable?  But how many of us are using simple things like this that are either just faulty or no where near spec? or is this just me?

No, it's not you. I go on endlessly about how very few USB cables actually meet the spec. Audiophile cable manufacturers cash in on this fact and produce something slightly better at 100-1000x the cost but even then still don't meet specification.  Despite the fact you're using it in audio, it IS a data cable, with well defined requirements and specifications to make it work. Random audiophilia analogue cable ideas have no place here. Welcome to the red pill.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

These are excellent if you're not wedded to the idea of spending as much as you've budgeted.

Thanks Con for the heads up with this cable. I have a AudioQuest Coffee USB and I am going to compare them. I am just waiting on my PS Audio DirectStream DAC to arrive (today woohoo) and I'll test

Cheers

20200715_123817.thumb.jpg.bd2489798db8210501ed7e014947d800.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I received my Lindy cromo 2m usb cable few days ago.     Has been running for over 72hrs.   Works pretty well so far in my opinion.  Comparing it to my standard 'printer' cable that I have been using,  the sound does sound a bit smoother/refined.  Slightly less of an edge/hardness to the sound.      This is connection between my MS Surface pro tablet and a Gustard U16 DCC.

Today I received my Lindy USB cromo 3m, and using for last 2 hours. Waiting for good 100 hours use to see how it shines....

Edited by Masseey
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/07/2020 at 12:40 PM, DSD_Fan said:

Cheers

How'd your test go?

21 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

How'd your test go?

I don't think I gave it enough time to 'burn in' as it was a big bright over the AQ Coffee cable. I have the week off so I might do some more testing. 

On 18/07/2020 at 4:43 PM, Ittaku said:

Looks like I started something ?

look out for hate mail from audio cable manufactures. who knows you might even get a letter  from Monster cable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I too gave this a go.  Needed a couple of shorter cables after rearranging some kit and grabbed two 50cm cables.  Ordered Sunday, delivered Tuesday.

Put one of these in my main listening room.  It replaced a longer wireworld ultraviolet cable.

Certainly not disappointed with a $13 cable but I have gone back to my wireworld.  More depth and detail but for about nine times the price there'd want to be ?

I'll put the cable in another setup in my study where it's replacing a cable of unknown origin.  Haven't tested yet but it should sound better.

Anyway, that means I have one USB cable still in its packaging that won't get used.  Lindy USB 2.0 CROMO LINE 0.5M.  PM if interested.

And thanks Ittaku - good recommendation.

• Like 1

I too gave t another go over the whole weekend. I played a lot of tracks I know and love. I was happy with the sound. 

I then changed back to my AQ Coffee and right away me and the wife could hear the difference. 

The Lindy I'd say is better than the lower end AQ cables I've tried, but the higher end cables I'd say no (in my system) 

But for anything under $200 I'd use this all day long 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Happy Friday mates,

Between wireworld and Curious which is better?

Is curious evolved how much times better in comparison to yellow curious?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2020 at 9:08 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Try these

https://m8audio.com/product/kr-2-silver-usb/

They are suprisingly good and I prefer them to much more expensive Audioquest ones.

I just ordered a pair of these to run between a Project Streambox S2 Ultra and a Schitt Eitr replacing a generic cable that came free with something.  Hopefully I'll hear an improvement.  Will report back.

Cheers

• Like 3
On 12/08/2020 at 4:22 PM, blairy said:

I too gave this a go.  Needed a couple of shorter cables after rearranging some kit and grabbed two 50cm cables.  Ordered Sunday, delivered Tuesday.

Put one of these in my main listening room.  It replaced a longer wireworld ultraviolet cable.

Certainly not disappointed with a $13 cable but I have gone back to my wireworld.  More depth and detail but for about nine times the price there'd want to be ?

I understand digital cables (well, those with RCA plugs, anyway) need to be no shorter than 1m, to work properly.  So that could be your problem, blairy?

Does the same limitation apply to USB cables, @Ittaku?  (My gut feel says it must.)

Andy

1 minute ago, andyr said:

Does the same limitation apply to USB cables, @Ittaku?  (My gut feel says it must.)

No. The problem is to do with reflections and are worse with impedance mismatching in the cable, but only when the signal is used to drive the clock of the device downstream. In USB communication, the signal is completely asynchronous from the DAC's clock which must drive its clock itself as the timeframe of USB packets is completely different from the normal DAC clockspeeds (multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz).

41 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

No. The problem is to do with reflections and are worse with impedance mismatching in the cable, but only when the signal is used to drive the clock of the device downstream. In USB communication, the signal is completely asynchronous from the DAC's clock which must drive its clock itself as the timeframe of USB packets is completely different from the normal DAC clockspeeds (multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz).

Aah, OK.  Tks, Con.  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2020 at 8:36 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Hello SNA,

Can any one recommend a good USB cable for a DAC - USB A to USB B.

Length : atleast 2m

Budget: $100 - $200

Thank you

https://www.storedj.com.au/oyaide-neo-d-usb-2-0-class-s-cable-1m?SearchID=9540562&SearchPos=12

Comes is class S (Thick) and class A (Less thick). 

Cooper cores. good shielding, and separation of data and power pairs. 

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oyaide-neo-d-class-a-usb-20-cable/

Edited by Grizaudio
On 09/11/2020 at 7:38 PM, Grizaudio said:

https://www.storedj.com.au/oyaide-neo-d-usb-2-0-class-s-cable-1m?SearchID=9540562&SearchPos=12

Comes is class S (Thick) and class A (Less thick). 

Cooper cores. good shielding, and separation of data and power pairs. 

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oyaide-neo-d-class-a-usb-20-cable/

I tested my new Oyaide class A vs a generic 2m cable tonight. 

I heard no difference between my generic USB cable and my new Oyaide Neo D+ Class A. 

I'm using an RME ADI 2, which uses Steady Clock FS for jitter rejection. 

Interestingly I have heard differences in SPDIF cables via the same dac. 

Obviously that's with my ears and system. Others may have different observations. 

If there are other RME ADI 2 users here, I would be interested to know if they hear differences between USB cables. 

Edited by Grizaudio

Well my ViaBlue™ KR-2 Silver USB Cable 2.0 A/B has arrived and sounds great after just 4 hours run in.  The sound is more refined (smoother, more liquid) and timbres sound more woody where there is 'wood' or more twangy where there is 'twang', etc...  I won't go on.  Keep in mind it is replacing a generic freebie.  Thanks for the recommendation Snoop!!  BTW has anyone had experience with their digital coax cables?  That would be from my Schiit Eitr to my Ayon cd player replacing a Monster subwoofer cable that is incidentally 6m long.

• Like 1
On 15/11/2020 at 7:23 PM, Grizaudio said:

I tested my new Oyaide class A vs a generic 2m cable tonight. 

I heard no difference between my generic USB cable and my new Oyaide Neo D+ Class A. 

From Karl Schuster's review:

[I auditioned the Oyaide d+ Class A USB cable briefly each day for a week, tracking the sonic changes as it warmed up. Some days it sounded shrill, other days dull. By the fourth day, it sounded quite coherent, and encouragingly similar in many respects to the reference, but still a little sweet and euphonic in the upper octaves. I was unable to conduct any serious listening on the fifth day, but returned on the sixth day to find the residual euphonic sweetness gone. Thankfully, by the seventh day the warm-up process appeared to reach a plateau, as the sound was recognizably similar to that of the preceding day.]

Give it time, you might have caught it on one of its 'dull' days.

(I hope this isn't the end of the story - I like what I've seen of Oyaide quality, and would gladly try more).

33 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

From Karl Schuster's review:

[I auditioned the Oyaide d+ Class A USB cable briefly each day for a week, tracking the sonic changes as it warmed up. Some days it sounded shrill, other days dull. By the fourth day, it sounded quite coherent, and encouragingly similar in many respects to the reference, but still a little sweet and euphonic in the upper octaves. I was unable to conduct any serious listening on the fifth day, but returned on the sixth day to find the residual euphonic sweetness gone. Thankfully, by the seventh day the warm-up process appeared to reach a plateau, as the sound was recognizably similar to that of the preceding day.]

Give it time, you might have caught it on one of its 'dull' days.

(I hope this isn't the end of the story - I like what I've seen of Oyaide quality, and would gladly try more).

I can't say I believe in cable burn in. 

I believe this is psychoacoustic's at play.

Happy to keep an open mind. 

2 hours ago, Grizaudio said:

I can't say I believe in cable burn in.

Is that because of experience, or the science saying otherwise?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this!

i decided to try and put order on Friday. It arrived on Monday.

Its definitely an improvement from stock cables (although a minor one and requires AB testing). Its more detailed and tighter.

Would love to get curious usb but the money may be wiser spent on something else in my systtem.

• Like 1