USB cable - USB A to USB B for DAC

• 2 weeks later...

I am not someone who likes to spend lots of money on cables but I did buy the Audioquest Carbon USB and I actually noticed a difference compared to a Light Harmonic cable I had, so was impressed. I do recommend it.

But I do love a good value so maybe you try the ones recommended above first.

• Thanks 1

I recommend using Robertson audio cables. Here is a link to the website.

https://robertsonaudiocables.com.au/

I am yet to come across better value cables. These easily compete with much more expensive cables, for a fraction of the price! I compared their top-of-the-line XLR cable, which is the PURE SILVER - (Reference) - Balanced Symmetrical XLR Interconnects (Diamond Range) for $206 to a pair of Audioquest Wind XLR cables at $2290 and the difference was very minimal, if anything the Audioquest had an ever so slightly darker background with a more narrow soundstage but that was it. Not to mention that it took me an hour or so of testing to notice any difference. 

More than highly recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gregory13 said:

I recommend using Robertson audio cables. Here is a link to the website.

https://robertsonaudiocables.com.au/

I am yet to come across better value cables. These easily compete with much more expensive cables, for a fraction of the price! I compared their top-of-the-line XLR cable, which is the PURE SILVER - (Reference) - Balanced Symmetrical XLR Interconnects (Diamond Range) for $206 to a pair of Audioquest Wind XLR cables at $2290 and the difference was very minimal, if anything the Audioquest had an ever so slightly darker background with a more narrow soundstage but that was it. Not to mention that it took me an hour or so of testing to notice any difference. 

More than highly recommend.

OP was after USB cables! Not sure Robertson makes any???

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

OP was after USB cables! Not sure Robertson makes any???

They are not advertised but worth sending Warwick an email to see if he can make one. He might be able to, but even if he doesn't, worth keeping Warwick in mind if any other cables are needed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gregory13 said:

They are not advertised but worth sending Warwick an email to see if he can make one. He might be able to, but even if he doesn't, worth keeping Warwick in mind if any other cables are needed.

This is sounding like an advert !  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Snoopy8 said:

This is sounding like an advert !  

HAHAHA... don't worry, it's not an advertisement. I've just bought a couple of products from him and was very impressed. I forgot that he didn't advertise USB cables but had already typed most of it so thought of sending it through anyway. Just a recommendation for cables. 

On 03/07/2020 at 1:02 PM, Ittaku said:

These are excellent if you're not wedded to the idea of spending as much as you've budgeted.

https://www.lindy.com.au/2m-usb-2-0-type-a-to-b-cable-cromo-line

C-ra-zy! I ordered on Friday arvo, arrived Monday morning and i am testing it now. I am testing it against cable that came with another DAC and WOW. I am genuinely impressed.

I think my old cable must have been faulty or something, its a big difference!

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Thanks 1

On 06/07/2020 at 2:29 PM, JPete9 said:

C-ra-zy! I ordered on Friday arvo, arrived Monday morning and i am testing it now. I am testing it against cable that came with another DAC and WOW. I am genuinely impressed.

I think my old cable must have been faulty or something, its a big difference!

Thanks for the recommendation.

You're most welcome. You would be stunned if you learned how few USB cables simply don't meet the USB specification which is pretty much the ONLY thing besides shielding that matters for a USB cable. The cheap throwaway ones almost never do. The vast majority of audio brand USB cables even into the thousands of dollars do NOT meet the spec so there's a good chance the cheap Lindy cable is better than them. You'll see that even though the USB spec says it should only be capable of 5 metre transmission, those Lindy cables come in up to 7.5 metre form, and unlike most other cables on the market, they even list those specs.

• 0.5-5m: 0.5-400MHz < 5.8db
  • 7.5m: 0.5-400MHz < 7.0db      
Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would recommend the $69 OYAIDE Neo d+ Class A -- https://www.mannys.com.au/oyaide-neo-d-usb-2-0-class-a-cable-2m.  These came from their Studio/DJ line have all the specs on there website and are well built for touring.  Its the best cable I have tried (note others where cheap and or printer cables). 

They are double shielded, sliver coated copper (the oxygen comes free with the copper (OFC) ?), gold plated plugs, 90 ohm nominal impedance and have measurements on their website, triple ticks all round (pixie dust, measurements and electrical engineering).   Plus they come in pretty colours too.  Plus Absolute Sound gave them a great review to put my mind at ease too.

Like Ittaku says its important the cables are up to USB 2.0 specs.  If its not, its not a USB cable, its just a cable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, StuDog78 said:

Like Ittaku says its important the cables are up to USB 2.0 specs.  If its not, its not a USB cable, its just a cable.  

Exactly. And if anyone's ever interested in reading the spec for USB 2 cables (I have checked it a few times) it's here: https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/CabConn20.pdf

Pages 17-22 have the requirements to meet specification. Most audiophile cables get fancy with the wire and shielding when they break the spec, applying ideas from analogue cable construction that either don't do anything (harmless) or actually make things worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really feel like i need to post again what a revelation that $16 cable is. I really feel like i am cheating a little bit. I dont have a fancy cable comparo to do...one day i'll buy a special one and compare, but against all of the other cables i have/had its unbelievable.

I know this means all my other cables were total crap and that could just be me...or this is just a better cable?  But how many of us are using simple things like this that are either just faulty or no where near spec? or is this just me?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

I really feel like i need to post again what a revelation that $16 cable is. I really feel like i am cheating a little bit. I dont have a fancy cable comparo to do...one day i'll buy a special one and compare, but against all of the other cables i have/had its unbelievable.

I know this means all my other cables were total crap and that could just be me...or this is just a better cable?  But how many of us are using simple things like this that are either just faulty or no where near spec? or is this just me?

No, it's not you. I go on endlessly about how very few USB cables actually meet the spec. Audiophile cable manufacturers cash in on this fact and produce something slightly better at 100-1000x the cost but even then still don't meet specification.  Despite the fact you're using it in audio, it IS a data cable, with well defined requirements and specifications to make it work. Random audiophilia analogue cable ideas have no place here. Welcome to the red pill.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 03/07/2020 at 1:02 PM, Ittaku said:

These are excellent if you're not wedded to the idea of spending as much as you've budgeted.

https://www.lindy.com.au/2m-usb-2-0-type-a-to-b-cable-cromo-line

Thanks Con for the heads up with this cable. I have a AudioQuest Coffee USB and I am going to compare them. I am just waiting on my PS Audio DirectStream DAC to arrive (today woohoo) and I'll test

Cheers

20200715_123817.thumb.jpg.bd2489798db8210501ed7e014947d800.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I received my Lindy cromo 2m usb cable few days ago.     Has been running for over 72hrs.   Works pretty well so far in my opinion.  Comparing it to my standard 'printer' cable that I have been using,  the sound does sound a bit smoother/refined.  Slightly less of an edge/hardness to the sound.      This is connection between my MS Surface pro tablet and a Gustard U16 DCC.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/07/2020 at 12:40 PM, DSD_Fan said:

Thanks Con for the heads up with this cable. I have a AudioQuest Coffee USB and I am going to compare them. I am just waiting on my PS Audio DirectStream DAC to arrive (today woohoo) and I'll test

Cheers

How'd your test go?

21 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

How'd your test go?

I don't think I gave it enough time to 'burn in' as it was a big bright over the AQ Coffee cable. I have the week off so I might do some more testing.