Jensway

What are your favourite Bluetooth headphones?

I know, I know. It's a dirty word.

But with more and more phones removing the headphone jack, it seems that Bluetooth is here to stay.

And thankfully there are options out there that are not so bad.

I for one love the PX7 from Bowers&Wilkins. Carbon fibre frame, huge drivers, comfortable, warm sound and plenty of battery life, not to mention you can just plug a USB-C cable straight into your source.

Anyone else?

dsc02940__large_full.jpg

I really don’t know why it’s considered a dirty word to be honest, particularly with higher bitrate codecs becoming more and more available.

Personally I love my Sony wh-1000xm3 and I use them regularly with my DAP using LDAC transmission.  I find this combination sounds excellent, and the mobility of being wireless often more than balances reduction in ultimate sound quality.

Favourites for myself (and the family) Sennheiser PXC 550 and Sennheiser Momentum - keeps a lot of peace.

I picked up an AKGY50BT a few years ago on clearance for $150. It's still my measure for all other headfi. Sound, build, fit, battery, features, ease of use are all fantastic. I prefer them for casual use over my focal elegia. 

Close second would be my new Noble Audio Falcon TWS. Great bit of kit for reasonable price. Just wish they fit my ears a little better. 

Personally Sennheiser Momentum True wireless, great sound and despite not being noise cancelling, great isolation. All around great set of features and decent battery life. 
Haven’t heard the second generation ones yet, but with greater battery life and addition of noise cancellation could potentially be a worthy replacement for my original one’s.  Just waiting for the Minidisc to get them in stock, so I can audition

Neo

Drop x THX Panda are probably the best I've heard for straight-up music enjoyment. 

Posted (edited)

I love my B&W PX, had it since late 2018. When I bought it, it was my first ever Bluetooth headphone and was a considerable leap of faith given I resisted for so many years...  primarily not convinced by Bluetooth sound quality.

I know its ANC isn't as good as Sony or Bose latest 700 series. It's heavy and the clamping force is rather skull crushing. Its software buggy, its wear sensor is far from perfect.

For all its misgivings however, I love its sound... it's unashamedly fun, but still 'believable' for a dabbling audiophile like me. Compared to my only other cans, the HD6XX, the PX is definitely more consumer oriented with pronounced, impactful bass (but neither bloomy nor slow) and ever so slightly recessed mids.

Its design is absolutely on-point for a high end cans and the abundant use of aluminium and leather is great. After 18 months the aluminium cups are scuffed and scratched in a nice, wabi-sabi way only metal could show.

I'm also lucky to have a somewhat narrower noggin and haven't experienced the vertigo PX apparently can induce on bigger heads.

I've tried Sony's venerable WH-1000 XM# series and it's just far too bassy for my liking.

The other cool trick PX does is its ability to connect to PC/MAC via USB-C and bypass the computer's DAC and uses its built-in, upscaling DAC.

Using Pixel 3, the sound quality via Qualcomm AptX HD is great (noticeable improvement vs. regular AAC).

PX is a headphone with many compromises and I consider myself lucky that it works for me. A keeper.

Edited by hiphile

Loving my Sennheiser True Momentum 2 wireless, noise cancelling. Great IEM's. I have a decent rig at home so don't need wires and a portable for just walking around, always thought that a tad over the top. These things are easy to use, reliable and have a surprisingly good sound.

Rob

Interesting range of opinions here. I'm still all about the Nuraphone (if you can get past the in-ear piece). Otherwise I do enjoy the Sony WH-1000XM3

Purely speaking bluetooth headphones, I only use Sony WH-1000XM3 for noisy work environment not to listen to music but for noise cancelling and for voice calls, but for everything else I just love the sound of Audio Technica ATH50xBT.

I had some Sennheiser Momentum wireless for some time...  loved the sound quality.

But HATED the voice that announced power on/off, and other stuff.

Yep, I know this seems like a trivial gripe - but I found it really irritating over time.  For some reason, they thought that getting a voice model who speaks in a cockney accent (or thereabouts...) was a good idea.

Call me classist if you like, but I want my 'premium' headphones to sound classy in every respect.  And that includes when it speaks to me.  It was like they recruited someone from one of the poorest areas of Great Britain to save on labour costs...

One of the reasons I love my Sony WH-1000XM3 in part because of the very fetching voice Sony uses.  I would never have given this aspect any thought at all, but for my 'bad relationship' experience with the Senn's in this regard.

I also love how the Sony's sound, of course.

Posted (edited)

I've been using a BTR5 with my Pixel 3XL with iems, but I'd like something overear for those days when I;m not in the mood to deal with the cables. 

I've demoed the Nuraphones and thought they sounded okay (the design doesn't bother me). I'm curious to try the Drop THX Pandas, but I'm not keen on the price tag to just take a punt. 

Edited by commawaffle

A friend surprised me with a pair of Audeara A-01's - he took a notion to kickstart them and decided to get two. Turns out the company is just down the road from my work.

Having never owned bluetooth headphones previous to them, I was quite surprised. They have an app which you use to take a hearing test, and based on the results you can apply a suggested profile (EQ) to address any hearing deficiencies you may have. I found the profile at 100% was not great, but at 50% really hit a sweet spot. They have come down in price in terms of what they wanted retail-wise (they were sorely overpriced on launch imo). The headband has frayed a bit, and the stock pads eventually fell apart, but I contacted their customer service and they suggested a replacement pad which worked fine.

For a first foray into the field of bluetooth headphones, I have to say I was impressed after my initial scepticism - they are quite convenient, produce good sound, and don't weigh much at all.