thorpef1

Adding a sub to a stereo amplifier

18 hours ago, pete_mac said:

From what I've read (no personal experience) the SW700S is quite a tight and dry-sounding woofer, not a boomer. Great for music, and good for home theatre, but not necessarily an outright bruiser.

Thanks Pete, i have also read they are quite good musically but wanted to see how they compare against the others i have listed, sounds like a good option either way

16 hours ago, betty boop said:

theres a subsonic that might interest. as an aussie sub brand quite well made and pretty good quality at a great price here.

Thanks Betty, thats in VIC and im in NSW so probably not an option, but thanks for letting me know about Subsonic, ill keep an eye out for them also

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mfroes
      Hi Guys,
      another newbie question.
      I've been after some speaker wire. i've seen people use cat5/cat6 and all that but i think i'd just stick to standard speaker wires.
      I'll be using the furthest speaker with about 17-18m because of how the speaker wire needs to be routed.
      All speakers are rated at 150W but the Front ones that are rated at 250W.
      the amp will be set under the TV and the only wires to be routed to the right will be the front right and the Surround right
      all other ones will have to be routed through the left  passing from the TV through Subwoofer, front left, surround left, back left and back right (about 17m)
      unfortunately the house is rented and i cannot drill foor/wall/ceiling.

I've read online that i would need 14 Gauge wiring for the speakers but didnt say anything about distance. was just power and ohms.

Would it be ok to use 12Gauge instead of 14 gauge? would that have any implications ?
      or better to just stick with 14 gauge? 

would anyone have any suggestions on wire to buy that wouldnt be that expensive?

what are the thoughts on ugly?
      https://www.selby.com.au/brands/ugly-cable/ugly-12-awg-speaker-cable-420-strands-ug12.html

have anyone used knukonceptz ?
      http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/sp/kord-ultra-flex-12-gauge-speaker-wire-100/

I think i'll need in total about 70-75m of wiring so can get expensive fast.
      the idea is to use banana plugs for everything.
      i would probably use the same wire with RCA connector for the sub.

current setup:
      Front: NHT C4
      Centre: Gale 20
      Back & Surround: Axis LS28
      Subwoofer: Sound Dynamics THS-10

TV
      FL   S                C                     FR

SL                                              SR

BL                                             BR

distance from amp:
      C(enter): 3-4m to be able to route through the tv unit
      S(ub):  4m
      FL: 5m
      FR: 6m
      SL: 10m
      SR: 12m
      BL: 14m
      BR: 18m
    • By JimmyDee
      Item Condition: 3 yrs old - Perfect working order Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Perth State: Western Australia Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash Reason for selling: No longer required Further information: 
      70W/channel Stereo Amp and DAC. Great for hook-up to a digital source (ie computer, tablet, pod, CD player) and bypass their inbuilt DAC to utilise this far superior one.
      The USB D/A converter is the 32-bit high-performance SABRE 32 from ESS Technology, and its USB device controller IC is the latest product from XMOS, the semiconductor firm. It is compatible with native playback of the DSD 5.6MHz (DSD128) format or 384kHz/32-bit playback. Supported formats are:
      MP3, WMA, MPEG4, AAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD – 192 kHz / 24bit; 96 kHz / 24 bit; 5.6 MHz
      Few minor scratches on top cover.
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Bush thug
      So i searched the web trying to find the best way to set up a subwoofer with a variable phase dial for a 2 channel system as i was having difficulties, when i stumbled accross this and thought it might interest people.
      Pretty easy and makes sense really. i got the same results set to 140 and  they are perfectly in sync and sounds the best i have heard my set up its amazing. If anyone else has any worthwhile hacks i would love to here them.
      Also curious as quite new to subwoofers why all subs dont have a variable phase?

He used this audio cd to find the frequency he needed
      https://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-A2TnB-Test-Disc-My/dp/B000V93NKY
      I just used this one and selected the range i wanted to use

This is a quote straight from the post.
      Most subwoofer users understand the need for a continuously variable phase control to help greatly with the setup and integration with the main speakers. (FYI setting crossover and levels is easier to do and should be done first) .
      In the past I have used room measurements to set the phase control- rotate the knob until the response is flattest- with decent success.
      More recently I used the concept of "timing" the subwoofer and main speakers by playing a track with constant beats- then rotating the phase control until it sounds synchronized or strongest. This worked well but seems to work better with limited range monitor speakers and not so well with fuller range towers.
      Many sites suggest that you "adjust until the bass sounds loudest" . This isn't the best idea because you could be adjusting such that you are creating a summed peak in the response.
      Having just added (2) subs to my system I recalled my mobile audio days as to how to best set the phase of the subwoofers. Here is what I did (two subwoofers). You can use the same method with a single sub as well.
      1) Reverse the leads of the main speakers so that (+) goes to (-) and vice versa.
      2) Shift balance to that side (e.g. right speaker, right sub)
      3) Use a demo disk (see below) and play the test tone that corresponds to your crossover frequency. In my case the frequency is 63Hz.
      4) Rotate the phase control gradually until the tone is as silent as possible at your listening position. The main will be out of phase with the sub and the two will cancel each other.
      I did this with the right sub/speaker set and the 63Hz tone became silent between 120 -degrees and 160 -degrees on the app / dial. I set it to 14o degrees, dead even between the two.
      For the left speaker and sub the 63Hz tone became silent at 180-degrees.
      5) Reverse the leads back to normal on the main speakers- and WOW! A completely integrated and sweet sounding speaker system! The bass became smooth, continuous, warm and effortless. Punches are completely in sync and powerful without effort, sustained notes are smooth and decay so naturally. There are no signs of separation between subs and mains. They act as "one" more than I have ever heard.
      By far the best method i have ever used to integrate a subwoofer.

• By Jobin
      Item:
      Price Range:
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info:I have a Klipsch 25 c centre,floor standing 28 icon series. 14s surrounds.sw 450 sub. The sub is good more movies but not that good for music. Looking to upgrade  with an enclosed sub.suggestions please. I have svs sb2000 in mind
      Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By hifiman
      Item Condition: Very good Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Melbourne Eastern suburbs State: Victoria Payment Method: EFT/Cash on pickup Reason for selling: NLR Further information: 
      Re-posted with lower price.
      Cherry wood veneer color. This is the first edition that uses a bigger box, down-firing. It makes for a good looking side table! 
      Review of this edition link below:
      https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/svs-pb12-plus-subwoofer-1-2006-part-1.html

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.