adfraggs

HD600 Replacement Parts - Non branded OK?

My HD600 ear pads and headpiece padding disintegrated. Fair enough, they are 15 years old. I can go official replacement parts but then there is always something like this ...

https://ebay.us/cDFr77

I have low expectations for the build quality, durability etc. But in a pinch, will these actually be OK? I'm trying to figure out just how much of a compromise it might make with regards sound quality. 

Also worth considering is how soon do you actually need the replacement. Getting something posted to Australia at the moment can take a while.

Important note for HD600, HD650 and HD6xx. Anything other than the genuine stock pads has a high chance of making them sound worse. Pad rolling is fine on most other headphones, the HD6xx series just seem to not like it.

I'd just buy genuine, personally.

10 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Important note for HD600, HD650 and HD6xx. Anything other than the genuine stock pads has a high chance of making them sound worse. Pad rolling is fine on most other headphones, the HD6xx series just seem to not like it.

I saw a review for some more upmarket leather replacement pads, some $80, no doubt with great build quality, but as you say the reviewer reported that it greatly affected the sound quality. For that price it would bother me for sure. Still, I might go ahead and experiment with the cheap alternative and report back. Better than nothing, because as it stands I've got a stripped down pair of headphones wrapped and stored away in a box. 

Yeah fair enough 

I ordered direct from Sennheiser Au last time, was HD800 pads/headband.

See how you go. Stick with a fairly porous velour and might be ok.

22 hours ago, Bengineer said:

I'd just buy genuine, personally.

This has been my experience as well. Really wanted to find a pair that were cheaper than stock ones, but nothing i tried (albeit a limited range) sounded quite as good.

They got it right a few decades ago it seems.