KEF Q950, Marantz SR6014 home theatre setup

Morning all, 

I'm looking to upgrade my home theatre setup, with my habits around 50% music, 50% movies/TV.

I've seemingly got a very good package deal on the following and was chasing some opinions on how this would all work together.

KEF Q950 5.1 package 

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/kef-q950-5-1-speakers-system.html

Marantz SR6014

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/marantz-sr6014-9-2-channel-4k-uhd-home-theatre-av-receiver.html

PSB CS605 X 4 in ceiling ATMOS speakers

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/psb-speakers-customsoundtm-s605-architectural-6-5-inch-in-ceiling-surround-atmos-speakers-4-pack.html

I'm coming from some old but amazing B&W 602 S2 bookshelves at the front. Some monitor audio bronze BX2 for rears.  They are all great speakers, but very different tones 

Does anybody know the Marantz Australia warranty period? I'm having trouble finding it on their website.

Anyhow, I'm very close to ordering and appreciate any feedback. My initial thoughts were the Klipsch RP-260F package. I got talked into this KEF series for my smaller room. Saying that while they're not as loud, they're not as Sharpe and offer a softer sound which would be good for widespread applications.

Cheers all and thanks in advance for taking any time out. I'm a little nervous to put down a deposit as it's a lot to spend (for me) on audio equipment.

Jake 

I have a Q550 I love the midrange better than Pardigm monitro 7 S.7 and Elac ( a bit old model).  After I have changed the receiver from Harman Kardon to ONKYO TX NR 696, I am hearing lot of bass from these speakers.  Then I understood the Kef has more bass power, I have managed it by reducing the bass on the receiver. 

Kef is a great choice but I might lean towards BW. 

Was wondering what was the price that you got on the kef 5.1 package. 

I don't have know about the Marantz warranty. Probably good idea to contact support . as the companies change their policies . 

16 minutes ago, janidbest said:

I have a Q550 I love the midrange better than Pardigm monitro 7 S.7 and Elac ( a bit old model).  After I have changed the receiver from Harman Kardon to ONKYO TX NR 696, I am hearing lot of bass from these speakers.  Then I understood the Kef has more bass power, I have managed it by reducing the bass on the receiver. 

Kef is a great choice but I might lean towards BW. 

Was wondering what was the price that you got on the kef 5.1 package. 

I don't have know about the Marantz warranty. Probably good idea to contact support . as the companies change their policies . 

Thanks for the reply. I'll pm you some details.

I'm not sure I will get the same deal on b&W 603s.

I have the Marantz SR6011 Kef Q950 fronts, Q650 centre, Q350 rears and Q50a atmos upfiring with x2 SVS subs. 

A few years back when i was looking to do this I auditioned a few set ups in stores and the Klipsch were part of that as were a few others.  To my ears the KEF were fuller sounding and hence I went with them.  I personally find the Klipsch a little fatiguing but that was my experience.  Pardigm, Focal, B&W all had nice stuff too, but I kept coming back to the KEF, it jus had that right balance for me on the warmer side of neutral and I really liked the look of them. The only other speakers I really liked and nearly went with was the Focal aria 926 which at the time were almost same price as KEF but now seem to have gone up considerably.  They were great but in the end the KEF won out for me as they also had a sealed box design and this suited my room and positioning better.

As a side note I also have them set up to a Vincent integrated and use them for 2ch listening and think they're fantastic - zero complaints.  To do this i use a Berfesford TC 7220 switch which allows me to use x2 amps to the one set of speakers, so depending on what I am doing I can use the Marantz to run everyrhing for movies or the Vincent for my audio listening - for that matter I can use the vincent to watch movies too but its only going to be 2ch so usually concert blurays etc i watch this way anyway.  I use to use the Marantz in pure audio mode for 2ch listening which is quite capable, but wanted dedictated integrated amp. 

This is my 2nd Marantz amp, I really like their house sound and think the KEF marry up well with them. Audyssey will take care of the room calibration for you and set the crossovers up but you can manipulate that to suit your volume tastes or crossover points. I run my atmos and rears a little hotter than audyssey set them at but use the reference setting in the amp.  This means the rears and atmos will run a little above the intended directors reference volume setting but I'm ok with that as it doesnt overbear anything and i've adjusted it to taste.

Good luck with your purchase whichever way you go.    I cant see myself ever not owning a Marantz Amp and as for speakers if/when i upgrade chances are it will be into the reference KEF range or maybe Focal but its not something on my radar anytime soon.

cheers

re marantz warranty they are distributred by qualifi and i found this.. maybe give QualiFi a call and confirm?

If purchased from a local authorised reseller, Qualifi (Australian distributors of Marantz) provide 3 years warranty on the amplifier and 1 year on the remote control. http://www.qualifi.com.au You should be able to find service agents within their website.

34 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

I have the Marantz SR6011 Kef Q950 fronts, Q650 centre, Q350 rears and Q50a atmos upfiring with x2 SVS subs. 

A few years back when i was looking to do this I auditioned a few set ups in stores and the Klipsch were part of that as were a few others.  To my ears the KEF were fuller sounding and hence I went with them.  I personally find the Klipsch a little fatiguing but that was my experience.  Pardigm, Focal, B&W all had nice stuff too, but I kept coming back to the KEF, it jus had that right balance for me on the warmer side of neutral and I really liked the look of them. The only other speakers I really liked and nearly went with was the Focal aria 926 which at the time were almost same price as KEF but now seem to have gone up considerably.  They were great but in the end the KEF won out for me as they also had a sealed box design and this suited my room and positioning better.

As a side note I also have them set up to a Vincent integrated and use them for 2ch listening and think they're fantastic - zero complaints.  To do this i use a Berfesford TC 7220 switch which allows me to use x2 amps to the one set of speakers, so depending on what I am doing I can use the Marantz to run everyrhing for movies or the Vincent for my audio listening - for that matter I can use the vincent to watch movies too but its only going to be 2ch so usually concert blurays etc i watch this way anyway.  I use to use the Marantz in pure audio mode for 2ch listening which is quite capable, but wanted dedictated integrated amp. 

This is my 2nd Marantz amp, I really like their house sound and think the KEF marry up well with them. Audyssey will take care of the room calibration for you and set the crossovers up but you can manipulate that to suit your volume tastes or crossover points. I run my atmos and rears a little hotter than audyssey set them at but use the reference setting in the amp.  This means the rears and atmos will run a little above the intended directors reference volume setting but I'm ok with that as it doesnt overbear anything and i've adjusted it to taste.

Good luck with your purchase whichever way you go.    I cant see myself ever not owning a Marantz Amp and as for speakers if/when i upgrade chances are it will be into the reference KEF range or maybe Focal but its not something on my radar anytime soon.

cheers

re marantz warranty they are distributred by qualifi and i found this.. maybe give QualiFi a call and confirm?

If purchased from a local authorised reseller, Qualifi (Australian distributors of Marantz) provide 3 years warranty on the amplifier and 1 year on the remote control. http://www.qualifi.com.au You should be able to find service agents within their website.

Thank you so much, you have perfectly responded to every question and concern I had, and justified my decision to just put down a deposit. Excited to set it all up.

Interesting around the big amp configuration. I do have a NAD stereo amp in the cupboard that may be well suited to stereo listening that I could try. Would surely put out more power than the 9ch.

I found that clause on qualifi and have since had the 3 years confirmed.

Sounds like this setup should satisfy me for years to come.

15 minutes ago, Sedgiemon said:

Thank you so much, you have perfectly responded to every question and concern I had, and justified my decision to just put down a deposit. Excited to set it all up.

Interesting around the big amp configuration. I do have a NAD stereo amp in the cupboard that may be well suited to stereo listening that I could try. Would surely put out more power than the 9ch.

I found that clause on qualifi and have since had the 3 years confirmed.

Sounds like this setup should satisfy me for years to come.

I hope it works out well for you. 

Everyone has different likes/dislikes etc and each room is different but Audyssey will help set that up for you. I think the KEFs present things nicely in audio and movie soundtrack.  You should not find any harshness from them unless your room is all hard surfaced then of course anything will present some harshness.

The 950's dip ust below 4ohm but the marantz should handle that and you'll have the cross over set too the sub anyway for movies. You might find audyssey set the fronts to a 60hz cross over, i usually adjust that to 80hz for all speakers but have the atmos at 120hz, I also set the LFE at 120hz.

The Q950s are big speaker, they have a good range and good bass.  Try using the pure audio function for 2ch audio listening as it bypasses the audyssey settings and sets the speakers to large/full range and excludes the S/W.  direct audio will still allow the sub to engange so is slightly different but still bypasses the Audyssey settings.  You'll hear the differences pretty quickly with a bit of toying around anyway.   If you decide to use the NAD down the track just grab the Beresford audio switch, its non electronic so doesnt introduce anything and doesnt require to be plugged into anything.  Its simple but functional piece of kit.

Cheers.

18 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Everyone has different likes/dislikes etc and each room is different but Audyssey will help set that up for you. I think the KEFs present things nicely in audio and movie soundtrack.  You should not find any harshness from them unless your room is all hard surfaced then of course anything will present some harshness.

The 950's dip ust below 4ohm but the marantz should handle that and you'll have the cross over set too the sub anyway for movies. You might find audyssey set the fronts to a 60hz cross over, i usually adjust that to 80hz for all speakers but have the atmos at 120hz, I also set the LFE at 120hz.

The Q950s are big speaker, they have a good range and good bass.  Try using the pure audio function for 2ch audio listening as it bypasses the audyssey settings and sets the speakers to large/full range and excludes the S/W.  direct audio will still allow the sub to engange so is slightly different but still bypasses the Audyssey settings.  You'll hear the differences pretty quickly with a bit of toying around anyway.   If you decide to use the NAD down the track just grab the Beresford audio switch, its non electronic so doesnt introduce anything and doesnt require to be plugged into anything.  Its simple but functional piece of kit.

Cheers.

You are a legend thanks so much mate.

7 hours ago, Sedgiemon said:

I'm looking to upgrade my home theatre setup, with my habits around 50% music, 50% movies/TV

Suggest setting up your system this way to get the best of both worlds

image.png.2d6297ea088519f6c0dd1931629fdd46.png

I suspect that your NAD does not have HT bypass, but there is a workaround.  When you run Audyssey on the Marantz, note the volume setting on the NAD so that the fronts have the same loudness as the rest of the HT speakers and reuse that setting.

6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Suggest setting up your system this way to get the best of both worlds

image.png.2d6297ea088519f6c0dd1931629fdd46.png

I suspect that your NAD does not have HT bypass, but there is a workaround.  When you run Audyssey on the Marantz, note the volume setting on the NAD so that the fronts have the same loudness as the rest of the HT speakers and reuse that setting.

So the NAD would be powering the q950s for all content? 

14 minutes ago, Sedgiemon said:

So the NAD would be powering the q950s for all content? 

Correct.  For both music and movies. 

An AVR is a compromise for music.  Even the Marantz, which is more musical than Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo.  By introducing the NAD, you can continue getting good sound quality from 2 channel sources.

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Correct.  For both music and movies. 

An AVR is a compromise for music.  Even the Marantz, which is more musical than Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo.  By introducing the NAD, you can continue getting good sound quality from 2 channel sources.

Thanks for the information!

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2020 at 12:27 PM, 08Boss302 said:

Cheers.

Hi boss I'm having trouble getting the sub to engage with music from a stereo source, regardless of what mode I set the amp to. However when I listen to atmos or movies etc it works fine. 

Any hints? I tried to follow your advice above but no luck getting anything from the woofer 

I have not haha. Makes sense does this enable sub out where there no specific mix for it in the source signal?

2 hours ago, Sedgiemon said:

I have not haha. Makes sense does this enable sub out where there no specific mix for it in the source signal?

Let us know if it works.

I don't remember the exact wording in the manual. It's something along the lines of using subwoofer for contents from all channels regardless of how the L R is set. The subwoofer filter frequency still applies. 

The other thing to play with is setting the L R to small. It's been a while since I played with Marantz AVR but from memory it made a difference to how the sub was used. It may need LFE+Main setting alongside it. If your floorstanders are not trying to play bass then they have a lot more resources left to play everything else. You may get an improvement from your L and R with everything outside of bass. Of course your subwoofer needs to be well integrated and sound good in general. Otherwise you loose sound quality. It's worth trying.

Both are in manual Audyssey settings. It's ok to make manual changes after auto calibration.

40 minutes ago, gwurb said:

Let us know if it works.

I don't remember the exact wording in the manual. It's something along the lines of using subwoofer for contents from all channels regardless of how the L R is set. The subwoofer filter frequency still applies. 

The other thing to play with is setting the L R to small. It's been a while since I played with Marantz AVR but from memory it made a difference to how the sub was used. It may need LFE+Main setting alongside it. If your floorstanders are not trying to play bass then they have a lot more resources left to play everything else. You may get an improvement from your L and R with everything outside of bass. Of course your subwoofer needs to be well integrated and sound good in general. Otherwise you loose sound quality. It's worth trying.

Both are in manual Audyssey settings. It's ok to make manual changes after auto calibration.

it did work mate thanks.  haven't used audyssey yet because i'm waiting on speaker cable to finish mounting my in ceiling and surrounds (so i'll calibrate once everything is in)

I did play around with manual, set the Q950's to 60hz, the centre to 80hz, and enabled LFE+main.  this now uses the sub for stereo sourced music, unless i put it on 'pure direct', in which case i think it uses the speakers only.

I have to say, the interface on the Marantz is soooooooooooo much better than the sony i had before.

The sub adds a LOT of depth, i was initially a little dissapointed with the bass from the Q950, but i think it's just room configuration, plus they're brand new so i'll give them some time to run in.  i also did my first listen late last night when the kids were asleep so i couldn't exactly feed them much wattage.

I have some 16AWG speaker cable in the drawer that i can use for the in ceiling and surrounds (Q350's), around a 12m cable run.  do you think that will be fine, or should i wait for the 12awg that's STILL coming sometime haha, it's been over a week.  will it make any difference at all?

9 hours ago, Sedgiemon said:

Hi boss I'm having trouble getting the sub to engage with music from a stereo source, regardless of what mode I set the amp to. However when I listen to atmos or movies etc it works fine. 

Any hints? I tried to follow your advice above but no luck getting anything from the woofer 

Hi mate,

For a few years I used Direct and Pure Direct mode when playing 2ch music. 

My speakers settings were all small and cross over at 80hz with LFE cross over at 120hz.  These two modes set like this and using LFE (not LFE + Mains) the speakers default to Large and bypass any bass crossover unless the audio you are listening too has an LFE signal then its inescapeable AFAIK.  This is likely to be more the case when watching movies in 2ch as opposed to concerts I would guess.

As a side note, I always thought LFE + Main can have a double bass effect situation so never had it that way - not sure if that is correct but it is how I have always set it up. 

In my set up I have a HDMI cable from BluRay player to my Marantz for movies and used the BluRay input on the AVR.  For concerts and or cd's in 2ch listening I used RCA interconnects from the player to the CD RCA input on the AVR. 

I would then select the appropriate input on the AVR pending what I was doing. (ie BluRay input if watching a movie via HDMI or CD input if listening to a movie or watching a gig via interconnects).  The picture should still work as you can run a HDMI cable from player to AVR using BluRay input and then out of the AVR arc back into your TV.

Using direct mode quite frequently,  it would send the signal to the fronts only and also bypass any room correction Audyssey had done with my calibration.  It would also not send anything to the subwoofers.  Pure direct did the same but also turned the screen off so I'd only use that for CD listening.

If you set the AVR up this way I am pretty sure that when wanting 2ch you simply use the direct mode and it will bypass the Audyssey settings and the fronts will be set to large and no sub will work. - but you'll retain a TV picture.  Do the same in Pure Direct and picture disappears also as it further bypasses some of the AVR circuits including front panel and video input/output processing.

Just to be sure I just tested this now using spotify connect using the PURE button which is yellow on my remote.  Playing a CD via your selected input should work the same theoretically...

- push it once - Direct Mode, screen on tv stayed on showing song playing, speakers had ample bass - no sub woofer engaged

- push it again, Pure Direct mode, no screen on AVR or TV to show song playing, speakers had bass still - no sub woofer engaged

- push it again , auto mode, TV screen on showing song playing, speakers cross bass over to sub which is now working.

Pretty sure if you you set LFE+Main you will get all the above but all modes with s/woofers engaged. If you are watching a gig maybe trial LFE settings etc as I had it just trial either Direct or Auto and see which you prefer?

I now use a different amp for 2ch listening but have the Marantz for HT.  I still do as above when watching some of my concert films. Hope this helps a little.

cheers,

Capture.JPG

2 minutes ago, Sedgiemon said:

it did work mate thanks.  haven't used audyssey yet because i'm waiting on speaker cable to finish mounting my in ceiling and surrounds (so i'll calibrate once everything is in)

I did play around with manual, set the Q950's to 60hz, the centre to 80hz, and enabled LFE+main.  this now uses the sub for stereo sourced music, unless i put it on 'pure direct', in which case i think it uses the speakers only.

I have to say, the interface on the Marantz is soooooooooooo much better than the sony i had before.

The sub adds a LOT of depth, i was initially a little dissapointed with the bass from the Q950, but i think it's just room configuration, plus they're brand new so i'll give them some time to run in.  i also did my first listen late last night when the kids were asleep so i couldn't exactly feed them much wattage.

I have some 16AWG speaker cable in the drawer that i can use for the in ceiling and surrounds (Q350's), around a 12m cable run.  do you think that will be fine, or should i wait for the 12awg that's STILL coming sometime haha, it's been over a week.  will it make any difference at all?

Cool

Looks like you got it sorted.  lots of options in the marantz and the menu is very submersive, you need to just dive into it a bit and set it all up.  the info button will also give you channel volume options that dont change the default Audyssey settings...

re the wire gauge, check this page and video, should assist you a little

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-wire-gauge

cheers,

13 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Hi mate,

For a few years I used Direct and Pure Direct mode when playing 2ch music. 

My speakers settings were all small and cross over at 80hz with LFE cross over at 120hz.  These two modes set like this and using LFE (not LFE + Mains) the speakers default to Large and bypass any bass crossover unless the audio you are listening too has an LFE signal then its inescapeable AFAIK.  This is likely to be more the case when watching movies in 2ch as opposed to concerts I would guess.

As a side note, I always thought LFE + Main can have a double bass effect situation so never had it that way - not sure if that is correct but it is how I have always set it up. 

In my set up I have a HDMI cable from BluRay player to my Marantz for movies and used the BluRay input on the AVR.  For concerts and or cd's in 2ch listening I used RCA interconnects from the player to the CD RCA input on the AVR. 

I would then select the appropriate input on the AVR pending what I was doing. (ie BluRay input if watching a movie via HDMI or CD input if listening to a movie or watching a gig via interconnects).  The picture should still work as you can run a HDMI cable from player to AVR using BluRay input and then out of the AVR arc back into your TV.

Using direct mode quite frequently,  it would send the signal to the fronts only and also bypass any room correction Audyssey had done with my calibration.  It would also not send anything to the subwoofers.  Pure direct did the same but also turned the screen off so I'd only use that for CD listening.

If you set the AVR up this way I am pretty sure that when wanting 2ch you simply use the direct mode and it will bypass the Audyssey settings and the fronts will be set to large and no sub will work. - but you'll retain a TV picture.  Do the same in Pure Direct and picture disappears also as it further bypasses some of the AVR circuits including front panel and video input/output processing.

Just to be sure I just tested this now using spotify connect using the PURE button which is yellow on my remote.  Playing a CD via your selected input should work the same theoretically...

- push it once - Direct Mode, screen on tv stayed on showing song playing, speakers had ample bass - no sub woofer engaged

- push it again, Pure Direct mode, no screen on AVR or TV to show song playing, speakers had bass still - no sub woofer engaged

- push it again , auto mode, TV screen on showing song playing, speakers cross bass over to sub which is now working.

Pretty sure if you you set LFE+Main you will get all the above but all modes with s/woofers engaged. If you are watching a gig maybe trial LFE settings etc as I had it just trial either Direct or Auto and see which you prefer?

I now use a different amp for 2ch listening but have the Marantz for HT.  I still do as above when watching some of my concert films. Hope this helps a little.

cheers,

Capture.JPG

thanks mate, looks like i've tried most of those modes except 'auto' with LFE+main disabled.  i'll try that and see how it sounds as well with the sub.

if i can leave it on LFE i'd rather do that, as long as there is a way to get the sub 80hz passed to the sub (sounds like auto will do that)

not sure about the double base effect, i'll have a play and see if i can notice anything.

11 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Cool

Looks like you got it sorted.  lots of options in the marantz and the menu is very submersive, you need to just dive into it a bit and set it all up.  the info button will also give you channel volume options that dont change the default Audyssey settings...

re the wire gauge, check this page and video, should assist you a little

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-wire-gauge

cheers,

damnit, looks like i should be patient and wait for the 12AWG! nooooooo.

16 minutes ago, Sedgiemon said:

damnit, looks like i should be patient and wait for the 12AWG! nooooooo.

Wait. Especially for anything around 3m or longer. Also 16AWG is the smallest I would recommend for any speaker unless you have less than 50W.

Another source

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/blog/speaker-cables

When setting the crossover remember that it's not an hard wall. When you set 80Hz HPF on your speaker your speaker will play a some content below 80Hz. Same with your sub, it will play a little some above 80Hz if you have 80Hz LPF. So it's best to not set overlapping boundaries like 80Hz HPF and 100Hz LFP, but you may have a different preference for sound. LFE is different as that's a specific track on multichannel audio that has its own audio recorded separate to L C R or other channels. 

Auto mode may change something in terms of playing extra content to filters instead of just LFE. In multichannel like movies you need to think about how much do you want your subwoofer to play; most bass or just LFE.

Hey mate,

I'd get this (Canare 4S8) at a minimum, especially given longer runs. Comes in at $3.43/metre. If you can squeeze it in the budget, the larger 4S11 would be better again, however it's nearly double price at $6.88/metre.

https://store.cliff.com.au/speaker-cable/47-canare-4s8-speaker-cable.html

https://store.cliff.com.au/speaker-cable/46-canare-4s11-speaker-cable.html

Cheers,

Ruffy.

1 hour ago, Ruffter said:

Hey mate,

I'd get this (Canare 4S8) at a minimum, especially given longer runs. Comes in at $3.43/metre. If you can squeeze it in the budget, the larger 4S11 would be better again, however it's nearly double price at $6.88/metre.

https://store.cliff.com.au/speaker-cable/47-canare-4s8-speaker-cable.html

https://store.cliff.com.au/speaker-cable/46-canare-4s11-speaker-cable.html

Cheers,

Ruffy.

Thanks Ruffy I already ordered some 12awg it's in transit somewhere. It was around $4//m for a 50m role 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2020 at 12:21 AM, Joseph Carroll said:

I already ordered my KEF Q950 and waiting for it to arrive. I will share my experience as soon as I got the delivery. 

Have you got them?