Best set up for full bodied mids and warmth?

Just now, awayward said:

I agree in some circumstances, but it depends on the decibels you like your music, and it’s not like the speakers are all the way at one end and the listening position at the other., usually somewhere in between. My room is 6 x 9m and stand mounts certainly fill the room, they might struggle at 100db but who listens at that volume all the time.

True. I guess there are a number of assumptions at play here, both in my scenario and yours.

It would be useful to better understand the OP's intended use, particularly given the mention of a DJ mixer and turntables which influenced my thoughts :)

• Like 1

I t also depends on room treatment (too much reverb) and speaker placement (too much for in). 

amp without power may make sound too thin (you may think it’s too much too end). 

bad dac may have distortion so sounds harsh (again you may think too much too end). 

So you may need to consider a lot of things ?

1 hour ago, pete_mac said:

I noticed you mentioned that you currently have studio monitors, but they are effectively too bright. Noting that you are running DJ gear through these speakers, have you considered a more sophisticated studio monitor and subwoofer setup? 

As an example:

https://www.storedj.com.au/krk-rokit-rp103g4-pack-w-10-3-way-monitors-and-krk-12sho-high-output-12-sub

These have built-in DSP and adjustable equalisation. Tame the highs when your partner is around, and unleash the beast when she isn't ;)

I have yes, but I plan to keep my studio monitors so I can still DJ privately in my office (or listen to tunes  while working) the larger setup I’m asking for advice on is for LP listening in the main area of the house (open plan lounge kitchen dining) and for BGM when entertaining.  I’ll use the booth out for the office monitors and the main out for the main room. Hope that makes sense. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rocking Rezbag said:

I have yes, but I plan to keep my studio monitors so I can still DJ privately in my office (or listen to tunes  while working) the larger setup I’m asking for advice on is for LP listening in the main area of the house (open plan lounge kitchen dining) and for BGM when entertaining.  I’ll use the booth out for the office monitors and the main out for the main room. Hope that makes sense. 

Nice - that makes sense! I have a DJ setup in one corner of the media room which I often run in a similar configuration.

Thanks for the extra clarification. Very helpful indeed.

• Love 1

Pair the F15 based speakers with an amp based around a Pass Amp Camp Amp (ACA) or John Lindsay Hood amp, and a decent DAC and you're done. Nothing listed that will break the bank here.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pete_mac said:

True. I guess there are a number of assumptions at play here, both in my scenario and yours.

It would be useful to better understand the OP's intended use, particularly given the mention of a DJ mixer and turntables which influenced my thoughts :)

Use for these will primarily be BGM and just joy of music. I’ll run the records from my DJ rig sure, but these  speakers will be in another room, I will use my local monitors for DJing. The reality is, as a DJ I’m well retired, 12 years in clubs and festivals is enough for anyone. I might spin on the odd occasion just to listen to some tracks I love (I have some amazing soulful house and bootlegs not on streaming platforms) but mainly I just want to listen and enjoy. 

• Like 1

I have a fairly big room and I think any good floorstander with a decent (Marantz, Rega etc amp) would do the trick. If the speakers are bi or triwired you could just experiment with a few 5 or 10 watt resistors on the tweeter (say 1 ohm to start with on the positive link) until you get the right tonal balance without sacrificing too much detail, also wall and corner treatment and speaker placement can have a dramatic improvement especially on those high frequencies bouncing around the room.

14 minutes ago, Rocking Rezbag said:

Use for these will primarily be BGM and just joy of music. I’ll run the records from my DJ rig sure, but these  speakers will be in another room, I will use my local monitors for DJing. The reality is, as a DJ I’m well retired, 12 years in clubs and festivals is enough for anyone. I might spin on the odd occasion just to listen to some tracks I love (I have some amazing soulful house and bootlegs not on streaming platforms) but mainly I just want to listen and enjoy. 

Sorry to hear that you've hung up the headphones Renae - if I'm joining the dots correctly, I may have seen you out and about at some stage. I've been playing on and off for 18 years or so (not quite at your level though!) so I understand reaching that point where you just want to hear the music you love through a nice system. Best of luck! :)

5 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Sorry to hear that you've hung up the headphones Renae - if I'm joining the dots correctly, I may have seen you out and about at some stage. I've been playing on and off for 18 years or so (not quite at your level though!) so I understand reaching that point where you just want to hear the music you love through a nice system. Best of luck! :)

I’d say 100% you are joining the dots properly and we’ve crossed paths. Sydney is a small scene. It’s nice to be remembered!  Sometimes I miss it but after my best friend died the lifestyle just wasn’t fun anymore. Totally looking forward to getting back into the music though (and collecting records again) my stuff has been packed up for years. You still playing? 

59 minutes ago, Rocking Rezbag said:

I’d say 100% you are joining the dots properly and we’ve crossed paths. Sydney is a small scene. It’s nice to be remembered!  Sometimes I miss it but after my best friend died the lifestyle just wasn’t fun anymore. Totally looking forward to getting back into the music though (and collecting records again) my stuff has been packed up for years. You still playing? 

Good music and talent is always remembered ;)

Ah, so sorry for your loss! Yes, that would kinda take the shine off things and put life into perspective.

I haven't played out since 2011 or thereabouts, but still collect music and have my gear permanently set up for the occasional mix.

During COVID-19 isolation I started streaming the occasional live set for close friends which went down a treat and was lots of fun - especially back when the restrictions were tight and nobody could visit family or friends, let alone go out and party. The entertainment industry is no doubt feeling the pinch right now!

Another thought worth considering is KEF LS50W.

Whilst KEF is generally not considered a to have a ‘warm’ house sound the advantage of the active KEFs is that they come with a very simple to use app for controlling the onboard DSP and the treble trim function works very effectively.

You could pick up a set of LS50W, plus the matching Performance Stands for circa $4.5k, add one or two quality subs from the likes of KEF, REL, SVS etc and have change from your 8k budget!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Good music and talent is always remembered ;)

Ah, so sorry for your loss! Yes, that would kinda take the shine off things and put life into perspective.

I haven't played out since 2011 or thereabouts, but still collect music and have my gear permanently set up for the occasional mix.

During COVID-19 isolation I started streaming the occasional live set for close friends which went down a treat and was lots of fun - especially back when the restrictions were tight and nobody could visit family or friends, let alone go out and party. The entertainment industry is no doubt feeling the pinch right now!

Yep that’s true, lots of Facebook live these days. Dj mates keep asking me to go play Facebook live with them for a bit of fun but I can’t even listen to their weekly FB sets, the live stream audio sounds so crap! Still I might -  just for fun. 

Happy spinning. 

• Like 1

Hi you have a really decent sound room . A lot of people I think underestimate what it can take to drive a big space  10mx7mx6m - the large Cerwin Vega 215 mentioned earlier would shine in that room and are quite sensitive not fake sensitive like several brands that overstate this parameter. They can take punishment as well and thrive at "party ,club levels " . They actually have that  warm character that you desire . They are not badly priced neither 

13 hours ago, Rocking Rezbag said:

Yep that’s true, lots of Facebook live these days. Dj mates keep asking me to go play Facebook live with them for a bit of fun but I can’t even listen to their weekly FB sets, the live stream audio sounds so crap! Still I might -  just for fun. 

Happy spinning. 

Oh yes... the sound quality is rubbish, and if you're streaming audio and video with an ipad or phone (as I am), it gets even worse... the stereo output from the mixer is down-mixed to a mono signal. Ouch! Allen and Heath mixers never sounded so bad! ;)

Haha exactly what we have been looking for. My wife hates bright sounding speakers and in fact, women have a lower tolerance to louder and higher pitched sound (not quite your wife's problem). We have settled on Harbeth speakers and one of Earle Weston's tube creations (well 3 actually. One pre and two mono's).  Maybe something like the Harbeth compact 7ES-3? Earle has a 6-8 month wait time so maybe something else tube flavoured or a nice warm solid state? Exposure comes to mind, maybe the new Exposure 2510 Integrated

On 21/06/2020 at 10:12 PM, Rocking Rezbag said:

7m x 10m with a 6m ceiling apex

Watching with interest as I have a similar space with steep ceiling. Mine is a large open plan ‘L’ shape.

On 22/06/2020 at 2:33 AM, Al.M said:

I doubt there is any speaker that will resolve the tinnitus issue

Everyone is different obviously but I suffer from tinnitus and my father does also, and personally I’ve never had a problem with loud music (partly what caused it) causing pain. My father has never mentioned it either.

My tinnitus is probably not severe though. I do have constant ringing at low-mid volume, which is bothersome but it’s no better or worse with loud music. If anything it’s worse with a lack of noise.

I only get ringing when it's quiet at night time.  Really notice it right after I get the baby to sleep.  Inaudible the rest of the time. My listening levels are usually only 45-60db now (my wife's influence) so hopefully it won't worsen. The damage was likely caused in pubs through years of karaoke.

Edited by MattyW

Mine was mainly gigs. I went to a lot in my youth and never wore protection. Young and ignorant.

I also worked in tree lopping for years but remember wearing ear muffs almost always.

In my current work I use power tools a lot and usually wear protection but not when using some less noisy tools, like a dremel, when I probably should because mine is more noticeable these days. Maybe it gets worse with age too?

• Like 1

I hope the OP doesn’t mind me hijacking but this may help them too.

Would any of these suit a large space like we both have?

Audiovector QR3

Dali Opticon 5

Dali Fazon F5

Dali Rubicon 6

Audiovector SR3 Signature

Hi Rezbag...

This is an indirect answer to your question, but I hope it may provide an idea or two for you.

It's a very big room so i would ask how do you intend to listen in that space? Filling it with sound, versus mid field listening?

Mid-field,  mid-level (volume) listening is an easier goal to achieve (many more gear options are not-wrong) and that approach allows you to tune-up acoustic variables  - rugs, curtains, speaker placement etc, until you arrive at a arrangement that works well.

By that I mean a comfortable and immersive sound stage where you and your partner can get lost in the music.

As a starting point, any modest but refined set-up  takes the heat out of making  'correct' choices.

Plus it might  save you some dosh...

The listening space and the gear you use is more likely to be an ongoing work in progress than a perfect set up (in one fell swoop never again to touched except the volume knob) ...

Over time how you listen and what you listen to  will change and you will most certainly refine the space.... trying absorptive panels in different spots and so on.

As you adapt and finesse the room and the gear, you can progress toward 'room-filling sound' where changes make a bigger and more critical difference.

That's the long answer.

The short answer is:  Valve amplification.

Having just moved to valves, the warmth and sound stage improvement caught me by surprise.

Even through JBL horns in a 5x7x4m space the top end is never harsh.

Hope my little rant was of some use to you.

Have fun. Please post pictures of Terminus One.

For that kind of money I would definitely consider a pair of De Vore  Orangutan's. They've a magic midrange

with a controlled top end. Extremely musical, plus stunning to look at.

I know Mclean's Audio in NSW were still selling them.

On 22/06/2020 at 1:25 PM, Rocking Rezbag said:

Hey thanks for contributing, I’m reading up on some of the items you suggested. I’d never heard of Osbornes, but they seem worth checking out. I’d been thinking about a drive to Melb (in a couple weeks when covid settles down) to listen to  some ProAC’s (you can’t get them here). I think now I definitely will take that trip now to check out the Osborne’s too. Thank you 

If you do end up interested in Osborns, I'll be helping a friend sell his Grand Monuments shortly (in Melbourne).

Since you are into pro audio stuff, another option is something like Neumann KH310's (studio monitors).  I have a pair, they work great in a HiFi context, and they have EQ switches on the back, including some to notch the treble down a few db  (i've only used them on horrible recordings, but they make a big difference when the highs are quite annoying).

Edited by avian