Corian Lenco

kffern

I thought I would share my new project. It uses a top plate and bearing  made by Sien of SPH audio in Malaysia. Plinth is 5 layers of white Corian , feet are 3 layesr plus the spikes. Cost of Corian $20.

After and before pictures below.

I am very disappointed with the visible seams. I did small test jobs and they came out really well. Anyway, turn the lights down and sip a whisky and it doesn't bother me for a while.

The feet are 3 layers glued with the same gorilla glue (clear) glue and cyanacrylate. Used both on the feet and both were close to perfect. 

I couldn't get Corian or any solid surface glue in Aust. I might have been able to ship from the USA  but with  current problems didn't want to risk it. Cost is a major issue at the moment.

Working with it is meant to be difficult as it dries fast and is designed for edge jobs generally. 

If I were to do it again I would get a few more G clamps. The central bar clamp is essential as the G clamps cause the pieces to move.  I glued the sheets one at a time using Gorilla glue clear.

Titebond Instant bond Medium is a good cyanoacraylate but you only have 7 seconds work time.

It sounds great. Very quite background. Still needs a bit of fettling as I'm getting a bit of idler noise that I didn't have with the previous wood plinth.

Regards,

kffern

DSC_0177.JPG

P6210372.JPG

DSC_0156.JPG

P6210370.JPG

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 21/06/2020 at 3:45 PM, kffern said:

I thought I would share my new project. It uses a top plate and bearing  made by Sien of SPH audio in Malaysia. Plinth is 5 layers of white Corian , feet are 3 layesr plus the spikes. Cost of Corian $20.

After and before pictures below.

I am very disappointed with the visible seams. I did small test jobs and they came out really well. Anyway, turn the lights down and sip a whisky and it doesn't bother me for a while.

The feet are 3 layers glued with the same gorilla glue (clear) glue and cyanacrylate. Used both on the feet and both were close to perfect. 

I couldn't get Corian or any solid surface glue in Aust. I might have been able to ship from the USA  but with  current problems didn't want to risk it. Cost is a major issue at the moment.

Working with it is meant to be difficult as it dries fast and is designed for edge jobs generally. 

If I were to do it again I would get a few more G clamps. The central bar clamp is essential as the G clamps cause the pieces to move.  I glued the sheets one at a time using Gorilla glue clear.

Titebond Instant bond Medium is a good cyanoacraylate but you only have 7 seconds work time.

It sounds great. Very quite background. Still needs a bit of fettling as I'm getting a bit of idler noise that I didn't have with the previous wood plinth.

Regards,

kffern

DSC_0177.JPG

P6210372.JPG

DSC_0156.JPG

P6210370.JPG

Love it mate, looks super clean.

Is the Corian hard to work with?

Is it any better than say slate or hardwood?

I have a Lenco wreck and am looking at doing something like this. Been looking at the PTP but I think Sien has stopped making the bearings.

Thanks McC, Corian is pretty easy to work with. A table router and a handheld is necessary. You can cut with a jigsaw and I have found the right blade that worked really well - fine woodworking blade.

The shavings break down to dust so you need to clean up regularly. It sands very easily. A bit too easily sometimes!

Sound wise it walks all over wood. I have heard a Slate Lenco (SimonC) many years ago which was very good too. I have 2 large heavy wood plinths.

Simon gave me a 19mm sheet of slate which I haven't used as yet. I have 2 layers of Corian left plus some smaller pieces which could go on the sides underneath. I plan to sandwich the  slate with the corian. Nice contrast maybe. My table router has seized up and needs fixing. Pushed it a little too far after I heard the screams.

I wouldn't bother with a wood plinth any more. Sien may have stopped making the top plates but he will make more bearings.

Look around on gumtree for an old kitchen benchtop. Most of them have MDF glued to them. A dark or patterned colour may be easier to glue without the seams showing up.

Regards,

kffern

Edited by kffern
Text
  • Like 1