Denon DL-110 a good match for Luxman PD-284?

So I've got a Luxman PD-284, and it's got an AT95e mounted on it right now. Wanted to upgrade, and figured I'd like to try a MC cart. I'm running it into the phono stage of my JVC JA-S44, which only has an MM input, so now I'm considering the DL-110.

Anybody had this combination before? Is there anything inherently wrong or incompatible with this combination? Would love to hear your input. Thanks!

I've heard that the arm's mass is as low as 6.5g, and the cartridge has a compliance of 14, giving a resonant frequency of 16.7hz. Is that alright? I don't think music recorded on vinyl generally goes that low.

17 hours ago, Setiawan said:

So I've got a Luxman PD-284, and it's got an AT95e mounted on it right now. Wanted to upgrade, and figured I'd like to try a MC cart. I'm running it into the phono stage of my JVC JA-S44, which only has an MM input, so now I'm considering the DL-110.

But I believe the DL110 is only 1.5mV output - is that sufficient for your JVC JA-S44?  <--- this is your first issue!

17 hours ago, Setiawan said:

Anybody had this combination before? Is there anything inherently wrong or incompatible with this combination? Would love to hear your input. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Setiawan said:

I've heard that the arm's mass is as low as 6.5g, and the cartridge has a compliance of 14, giving a resonant frequency of 16.7hz. Is that alright? I don't think music recorded on vinyl generally goes that low.

According to the VE Cartridge Database here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php?m=Denon&mod=&t=any&sort=2&Search=Search&sty=&ovlo=&ovhi=&can=&dclo=&dchi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

... the DL110:

• weighs 4.8gm, and
  • has a compliance of 8 - although bloody Denon measure this at 100Hz ... whereas the VE database uses the 10Hz figure.  Which will be in the range 12 to 16 - so your figure of 14 ... is probably correct.

The VE Resonance Evaluator, here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php

... shows that for an arm with an eff mass of 6.5gm, a cart which weighs 4.8gm (say 6gm with bolts) and has a compliance of 14 ... is in the 'yellow' region - rather than the ideal 'green' region.  <--- this is your second issue!

Regards,

Andy

AS above....

Plus your JVC will not be up to the job of any low output MC cartridge. Its a great 70's mid amp as I own one but the phono stage is only suitable for MM carts unless you go SUT or MC head amp....

why not try a better AT MM cart if you like the sound. most of the expense when upgrading bring in better stylus profile..cantilever...generator assembly etc. 

AT's own VM series and the ubiquitous Ortofon 2M series would be good places to start IMO...

Have fun

Tase.

Thanks for the input everyone!

The DL-110 is rated for 1.6mV I believe (it's a high output MC cart), though I've read others saying that they output closer to 2.2mV. My amp's manual says that its phono input has a sensitivity of 2.5mV at 47k ohms, so hopefully it's not too great of a mismatch? As my system currently stands, I almost never go above quarter of the volume slider.

2 hours ago, andyr said:

is in the 'yellow' region - rather than the ideal 'green' region. 

Do you know what kind of problem I could expect this to cause?

1 hour ago, Tasebass said:

why not try a better AT MM cart if you like the sound

Admittedly, I for some reason have a fondness for these Denon carts, even though I haven't heard them myself. I've heard them described as more 'analog' (whatever that means), and that they have been used in broadcast applications. Aside from this reputation, I think this particular cart looks quite nice.

So if I can make it work with the table I have, that would be awesome - even if it means losing a bit in sound quality, or introducing some problem to a limited extent. If the experienced members of this forum tell me that it will be terrible experience though (or even moderately bad), I'll look for a different cart I suppose. Just want to know more about the nature of the potential problems first though, and what I'm getting myself into.

Mmmm, @Setiawan, I don't think we will be able to convince you not to buy a DL110.  :lol:

So go ahead - and prove us wrong!  :)

BTW, just because the AT-95E has even lower compliance than the DL110 ... doesn't make it a good match with your am.

Good luck.

And