12 inch Ported Box Design?

Craggs2341

Hi All

Just working through my options and was wondering if anyone had any ported box designs I can look at. Particularly for the 12 inch Dayton Ultramax. 

I'm no audiophile and would love a design I could just copy... 

Cabinet recommendations:
• Sealed 2.0 cubic ft. (net internal) with 1 lbs. of Acousta-Stuf polyfill, f3 of 36 Hz with a 0.707 Qtc alignment
• Vented 4.0 cubic ft. (net internal, not including driver or port volume) tuned to 20 Hz with a 10" wide by 1.5" high slot port that is 25" long, which yields an f3 of 19 Hz

• Like 2

I'll be following with interest. My Richter Thor died during the week and since I have a large CNC router I figure now's the time to DIY.

I'm also a complete noob and was modelling designs with SpeakerBoxLite for the first time last night (seems easier to use than WinISD). Do you have any size restrictions? I need to stay within a 50cm cube to fit my cabinetry. Based on Maz4bz's posts on here I'm leaning towards the Alpine R-W12R2 which models well and is $200 cheaper than the UM12. 

19 hours ago, pwstereo said:

Cabinet recommendations:
• Sealed 2.0 cubic ft. (net internal) with 1 lbs. of Acousta-Stuf polyfill, f3 of 36 Hz with a 0.707 Qtc alignment
• Vented 4.0 cubic ft. (net internal, not including driver or port volume) tuned to 20 Hz with a 10" wide by 1.5" high slot port that is 25" long, which yields an f3 of 19 Hz

When I model a port as narrow as that, SpeakerBoxLite shows vent air velocity peaks at 47m/s at 19Hz which seems awfully high? Perhaps I should compare their modelling with others.

23 hours ago, neil_se said:

When I model a port as narrow as that, SpeakerBoxLite shows vent air velocity peaks at 47m/s at 19Hz which seems awfully high? Perhaps I should compare their modelling with others.

That's from the driver manufacturers website I think. But I suspect you're right.

Make it a more sensible shape and keep the same volume.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2020 at 6:41 PM, neil_se said:

No, your model is correct (for 600w input).

TBH I don't understand why they list a vented box for this driver.   It's much more suited to sealed, as far as I see it.

• Like 1