Just bought a Aurex deck. Shocked!

Wow, just bought an Aurix (Toshiba) deck for $100 and it's amazing. I've plugged it into my Plinius amp---->Whatmough speakers and put on a recorded cassette from 1986. It was recorded using a portable dc player a mate bought back from the US onto a TDK SA-X90. I have a big grin thinking about how a cassette can deliver a sound like this. It sounds nicer than quite a lot of newer cd's I have. Dynamics are great. Here's some pics:

20200620_214710.thumb.jpg.84a01073fefb9a5449c7420a28a8fc24.jpg

20200620_214724.thumb.jpg.ddd8b625c495d5120bebd1f94a3e1dc6.jpg

20200620_214746.thumb.jpg.9d4f62535ab03a4756aa169c0ad23abc.jpg

20200620_214755.thumb.jpg.011e33fbe0db5d2cc3fe29a1da688391.jpg

20200620_214818.thumb.jpg.aa23c54b6f6bc1da5e036f3615d0cd3a.jpg

20200620_214902.thumb.jpg.410a70982655396e106678bf2fc45661.jpg

20200620_214937.thumb.jpg.357c9601dc6164c84df7e0201f6a9139.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

A lot of Aurex gear was well thought of back a few years ago - the brand still exists, but not as it once was.

Yes I got a good tip off a mate that said it was really good gear. It sounds wonderful, haven't tried recording yet. I'll ebay a few decent blank tapes and give it a try soon.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rrobot said:

That looks absolutely fantastic @blakey72. Those VU meters! ?

The famous Alex from A.N.T rated that deck very highly, glad to hear it delivers. ?

Now, down the rabbit hole with alignment tapes and oscilloscopes for you? ?

Been looking at TDK SA, SA-X, MA, MA-x and MA-XG. New from $30 to $130 ?

Looking at some old hifi magazines from the late 60's and early 70's and  looking at the advertising and reviews it seems to me for a while there, that there it was a toss up as to where music reproduction was going and it could have gone either way, vinyl or cassette tapes as the dominant form. 

And I wonder why we opted for Vinyl ? Maybe it was the tack feel of cassette cases, the inevitable scratch of the case  or the low tech look .  I heard Nakamichi Dragon playing cassettes through a high end system that was absolutely first class.

Congrats on your purchase looks like a great result.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2020 at 11:43 AM, blakey72 said:

Yep, prices are unbelievable. Keep an eye out daily though as most don't sell at those prices and quite often someone will list a pack of ten for $20 or so that they've found at the back of a wardrobe. I picked up a couple of packs of decent BASFs for not a lot of money in the last year and they are great.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Amazing the things that turn up on this forum. I remember the Aurex cassette decks well. We sold quite a few of them back in the early '80s and the PCX88AD was the top of the line. Their was a production issue with a few of them which was to do with some plastic injection moulded parts of the mechanism getting hairline cracks in them and fouling/jamming the take up spool bearings. I took Toshiba in Sydney to task over it and initially they acknowledged the issue. However, when it all started to get too hard, they got quite nasty and played hard ball. They didn't want to have to refund or replace. Consumer law was a bit different back then.

My favourite is the PCX60AD which has the ADRES noise reduction system and has a die-cast alloy front panel. It is a 2 head, 2 motor machine but very good. The ADRES system works well and is kinda backwards compatible with Dolby B for playback. Aurex used the later version of ADRES whereas Nakamichi used the early version. 

On 21/06/2020 at 11:43 AM, blakey72 said:

Maybe I should have a look at the back of the wardrobe and see what I might have in the way of tapes ?. If I find anything useful I will advertise them here first.

Good score on this deck though. Congratulations!

• Like 1

@Igotmearecord thanks for the information, very interesting. I haven't had any problems with it at all so far (touch wood). So was Aurex to Toshiba what Integra is to Onkyo? I haven't been able to find much info on them. What sort of RRP did they sell for back then? And yeah if you find anything you want to sell advertise it and let me know ;) 

3 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@Igotmearecord

What sort of RRP did they sell for back then?

From memory, rrp was either $399 or $429. By then the duty on tape decks had come off and they had come down in price a lot. Still decent money back then considering the average weekly wage.

11 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@Igotmearecord  So was Aurex to Toshiba what Integra is to Onkyo? I haven't been able to find much info on them. 

Yes Aurex was to Toshiba as Otto was to Sanyo, Lo-D was to Hitachi, Optonica was to Sharp, Esoteric to TEAC. There are probably others that I have forgotten or didn't ever know. Onkyo and Pioneer also have high-end speaker product branding - Onkyo has Scepter and Pioneer has TAD, both highly respected in parts of the hi-fi world. Then there is all the sub-branding like Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Onkyo Grand Integra, Yamaha Aventage etc. Hurts the braincell to think about it all ?

I will go tape hunting in the next few days and let you know if I turn up anything worthwhile. I might have some used tapes that have basically had an lp or 2 recorded on them and then never been played after that. It will be a mix of TDK, Fuji, Denon and Maxell. Mainly type II so TDK SA and SA-X equivalents. They will be a decent price ( i.e. cheap) but better than throwing them out. Postage will add to the price though.

• Thanks 1

There are some incredibly exotic looking aurex speakers that come up from time to time in Japan. Aurex was the real deal as far as high end gear goes I think. 

Tape prices on ebay are often a bit hopeful/deluded I find. Before covid I think a mob in Europe were making new tape at decent volumes. Recording the masters.  

https://www.recordingthemasters.com/

Edited by Rrobot
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Had one of these in the day for a number of years. 3 heads and you could bias for tape type. Used both Chromium Dioxide and Metal. By the way I've listed 168 pre-recorded cassettes I found in my local Oppie for 20 bucks in the classifieds. (proceeds to Oppie)

• 5 months later...