Mismatched surround speakers - any advantage in using them?

I have recently upgraded to a Yamaha Atmos A/V receiver, and still running a 5.1 speaker system.  

At the front I have Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 fronts, Diamond 8 centre, 150W sub, and Tannoy Mercury M2's as rear surround.

I have a pair of Aaron SS 30's left over from an older set-up, is there any advantage in hooking these into the system?  Most of my content is DD 5.1, will mismatched speakers add or detract from the surround sound effect?  Or will they be dormant until using ATMOs content?

These are the specifications from the manufacturer

4" SURROUND SOUND

Frequency response:  95Hz - 16kHz (+/-3db)

Power Rating:  50 watts

Sensitivity: 89db

Impedance: 8 ohms

Base alignment: Infinite Baffle

Size: 255H 155W 190D 3 kg ea

Cheers

53 minutes ago, Jayson H said:

is there any advantage in hooking these into the system?

As long as they are positioned well wrt to the dolby guidelines.

will they be dormant until using ATMOs content?

That depends on how you configure your receiver.    ie.  to up mix 5.1 content, or not.

mismatched

Run your receiver speaker calibration (YPAO or whatver Yamaha call it) and you will be fine.

I have used different centre to mains, same side surround as a centre and then different rear surrounds. it can work. in end i did end up upgrading and it is a much more seamless experience ....matching does help. but doesnt mean you can't use mis matched as not like completely way off in sound ! 

all your speakers will most definitely be utilised in a atmos setup as dolby surround upmixes to utilise. even if native material is 5.1 its actually pretty amazing what it can achieve :) 

Having matched speakers make a difference for multi channel music. I had superb SGR active fronts and Monitor Audio Apex A10 rears.  I now run all Monitor Audio Apex speakers and discovered that it actually improved multi channel music, a little bit more coherent. I now understand why someone used 4 B&W 802s for their setup, plus B&W centre! Yes, 802s for the rears!  :shocked: 

No difference with movies...

Don't sweat it. Whilst mismatched isn't ideal in a perfect world, its not that big a deal.

For ages I ran Energy mains and ALR Jordan centre and rears.

I now run Energy fronts and centre and ALR Jordan rears.

I never once thought these speakers were mismatched causing horrible output. Changing the centre improved a bit but I never minded how it was, decision to change was more about power handling. 

If it sounds good, it is good.

Try both and see which you prefer - you'll need some demo material.

You'll have to run the auto calibration after switching the speakers around.

If the Yammy AVR can output 'multi-channel stereo' - play some music to test.