Hi, I'm new and looking to learn

Hi All,

I'm David and I live in Sydney.

I've owned the following since about 1996:

Marantz CD63Mk2 CD player

2 x Technics 1200Mk2 turntables

Audiolab 8000A amplifier

2 x Acoustic Energy AE109 loudspeakers

My poor old Marantz has been to see the doctor a couple of times and it is on last legs. I just picked up a Creek CD60 which I listened to briefly until I sent my amp and speakers away for a maintenance visit.

The amp will be given some love and possibly a minor upgrade.

The speakers may be a problem; the surrounds have given way and the cone on one of the drivers is creased. I may look to replace these altogether. I prefer older gear but in the case of speakers I may buy some new ones.

I spent a while researching these components 25 years ago when I bought them, but didn't get 'into' hi-fi much since, as I was always happy with the sound.

However, since I realised that I'd have to make some decisions about the system now, curiously I've suddenly been bitten by the hi-fi bug and I'm like a kid in a candy shop, trawling the internet to learn about the myriad options out there.

I played a lot of classical music when I was young so music is a massive part of my life.

Dance music is my thing, along with jazz, classical, some rock, some rap etc.

I am an experienced Executive Chef and now I am the founder of a tech startup. I love film photography, fermenting and perfume (but not in combination!). One day I'd love to learn how to restore old hifi gear.

Keen to learn and get to know some people here.

Thanks for reading!

Hi, I'm David and I live in Sydney too.

Welcome to the fun palace.

I see that you are pursuing sensory quality and excellence in the guise of quirky niches? So you might value the time-honoured methods and natural techniques? And flavour layering and the effects of the full sensory spectrum?

High quality ingredients + simple (but knowing) combining = excellence

By analogy you're talking the real hi-fi--a music lovers' paradise. Of course I am a subjectivist because I do know what music sounds like . Yes--I am highly biased in that way. But you really know the sound of real instruments so that's the standard. A good system is also one where the work of the brain to decode the music signals is minimal. You are quickly 'in the zone'.

If you are wanting to maximise the potential of your current system, with a new CD source, then OK. The components are good quality; probably married together quite well. It's do-able, with 'the knowledge'. I note that you have no sub. As a lover of dance music you might be astounded just what a REL sub (e.g. T5i or T7i, both sold here on SNA from time to time) could do for your system sound generally and specifically--all music types! This would be my number one suggestion for you in the short term.

But if you are upgrading generally, then:

Please do yourself a favour and listen to several systems already set up that have a good marriage together--and likely include valves somewhere. Or not, depending on budget. As a music lover who plays instruments--as you do--I can almost guarantee that this kind of sonic reproduction will give you the requisite goosebumps. There are hi-fi stores that will show you what I am talking about. Possibly you have friends who have moved on from earbuds and can show you their system ? Many such systems can be (relatively ) inexpensive. By that I mean some $2-3,000; with tremendous opportunities buying second hand you can end up with great quality.

This implies the 'top of the middle range' of quality hi-fi (or anywhere above the lower range is OK). You will see by the gear in use here on SNA that the range of quality gear is very wide.

Then there are the tricks of room and system set-up for top performance from basic gear.

Just my 2c worth

• Like 1

Thanks Saxe for your welcome!

Thanks also doogie44 for your welcome and insights!

On 20/06/2020 at 9:21 AM, doogie44 said:

I note that you have no sub. As a lover of dance music you might be astounded just what a REL sub (e.g. T5i or T7i, both sold here on SNA from time to time) could do for your system sound generally and specifically--all music types! This would be my number one suggestion for you in the short term.

I was intrigued about your suggestion of adding a sub.

I've never even considered this. I must do some research before bugging you with basic questions that can be answered elsewhere. But fundamentally, if a loudspeaker has been designed to produce sound of (most) audible frequencies, then why does a sub help?

Also, if you add the bass of the sub to the bass of the normal speakers, doesn't the bass get overrepresented? Or do you only wire the mid and treble up on the speakers and use the sub only for bass?

I have just bought an Audiolab 8000P power amp to add to my 8000A integrated. I believe this means I can either use the 8000A as a preamp and send the power to the speakers from the power amp, or use the 8000A as a pre/power for the mid/treble part of the crossover and the power amp for the bass part (assuming my speakers have bi-wire capability).

What do you think?

Thanks again for welcoming me to the club! I can see this will be an enjoyable, but expensive and slightly obsessive hobby! ;)

43 minutes ago, VinylChef said:

I was intrigued about your suggestion of adding a sub.

I've never even considered this. I must do some research before bugging you with basic questions that can be answered elsewhere. But fundamentally, if a loudspeaker has been designed to produce sound of (most) audible frequencies, then why does a sub help?

Also, if you add the bass of the sub to the bass of the normal speakers, doesn't the bass get overrepresented? 

:welcome:to the forum...

You add a sub to compensate for some of the problems of a room. The room is the biggest factor in how a hifi system sounds and the bass in particular is difficult to manage.  Adding a sub "fills in" the bass holes that the main speakers cannot overcome, no matter how good they are.  The key is integrating properly, so it sounds seamless.

53 minutes ago, VinylChef said:

I can see this will be an enjoyable, but expensive and slightly obsessive hobby! ;)

Last chance!  Walk away from this forum while you can. It is indeed an expensive, obsessive series of rabbit warrens!  ?