Celestion CX 2012 Speaker Enclosures

So I've managed to purchase a pair of Celestion CX 2012 Co-axial De Luxe Studio Series speakers made in England in the 1960s. 12 inch, 20W, 15 Ohms.

I had hoped to be able to use these speakers to replace the Goodmans TwinAxiom 10 Twin concentric speakers in a custom made tuned enclosures. But the Celestion drivers are too big for the enclosure. Thus I need a design for a suitable enclose for the Celestion CX2012 speakers.

Celestion published two designs for speaker enclosures in the 1960s, but I suspect there would be more appropriate enclosure design for the Celestion CX 2012 Co-axial speakers that could be used. Does anyone know of where to look, or who could help me out, coming up with such speaker enclosures.

celection-cx2012-enclosures.jpg

celection-cx2012-speakers.jpg

From past experience with these speakers an enclosure based on the T & S parameters would be better than relying  on the  manufacturer's designs. Be warned, it needs to be quite large.  The crossover network  is  simply a capacitor and a pot for the shallow horn tweeter and it is worthwhile to use  a more sophisticated  design.

• Love 1

I found some old measurements for the CX2012.                   Fs               35 Hz                                              B.l      19.79  T.m

Vas            208.6 L                                         dBspl   96.83

Re             12.88  ohm                                    no       2.9031  %          

Qms             5.1359                                           Mms   40.872 g

Qes              0.2955                                          Cms       1.49E-6 m65/N 

Qts               0.2794                                         L 1kHz    1.1866  mH

From these parameters and allowing for normal losses and solid parts within the enclosure, a fourth order Butterworth enclosure  of an effective internal volume of 197 litres would be a good  match  for the Celestion  12'' speaker.

2 hours ago, VanArn said:

From these parameters and allowing for normal losses and solid parts within the enclosure, a fourth order Butterworth enclosure  of an effective internal volume of 197 litres would be a good  match  for the Celestion  12'' speaker.

Many thanks. Any idea as to where I could get such a design and someone to make it for me?

If you can find a build sheet I can build them for you. 

Just put a finishing coat on some Altec Lansing 846b Valencia's that I built for another member. I will update the thread once I reassemble them next week. Volume 240lts, close to what has been suggested for your Celestion's 

I also have some 12" Celestion's in the way of the Ditton 44's I'm about to build new enclosures for them, did a quick volume calc and they are 73lts 

bummer your in Rye 

Edited by Powerglide
lt spec wrong

I'm no speaker tec, but can't see why this design would not be compatible with your drivers. 

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/298469-onken-jensen-ultraflex-with-altec-and-jbl-horns/?tab=comments#comment-4435273

One thing I do know is they work effortlessly and were a relatively easy built 

If interested I'm sure the OP,er would do the calcs and work out the sizes.

• Like 1