Musical Paradise MP 701 Mark II Owners & Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, tntman said:

Zero pitfalls at all..   I left my cover off since day one.  

As for rectifier rolling, I enjoy the Aussie made Philips 5as4 can be bought really cheap.. And my Cossor 53ku..  What rectifiers are you guys using? 

? indeed @tntman - Since i've been playing around with caps, tubes etc, i havent screwed the lid on since.  Zero issues whatsoever.  Also, thanks to @tntman i love my new set of Philips 5AS4's in the phono, They're cheap, and sounds better than most of the rectifier's i have in my stash, they sound right to me and my taste.  Ooh..Cossor 53ku..need to seek out that one as ive heard good reports on them.

11 hours ago, R-Y74 said:

Hahah..  i think I have unscrew the cover too many times with my unfortunate events with faulty tubes. Do you attached fit them with the coupling caps or the power filters? Thanks

@R-Y74 just on the couplings.  I havent put any on the power filter and after a discussion with Garry, he said the power filter caps are there to trap any residual offset DC that spill over from the filtering that existing array of power caps filter.  Thats why you can use a range from 0.01uf to 10uf max and in any combi as well.

11 hours ago, R-Y74 said:

Really? Is it obvious? O man.. im not sure if I want to open the lid again.. lol.. another upgrade again... is this your new phono MrBurns84? Nicee

@R-Y74 no, I plagiarized tntman's pic on how the bypass caps are installed.  Will take pics of mine later today and post.

On 21/08/2020 at 9:39 AM, DrMikeOz said:

they look very similar to mine - I've only ever had good experiences with The Tube Store so i've been willing to pay a premium - if someone orders from this other site i'd be keen to hear how it goes! 

My tube-store.com 6h23 order is finally here today , took a little over a month to arrive . 

Out of the box the sound seems to be stale and imbalanced , but after leaving it on for 2 hours it dramatically improved . 

So far it sounds amazing , way better than GL 6922 and 12au7 , will do more detail comparison when I get more time . 

9 minutes ago, demoiree said:

My tube-store.com 6h23 order is finally here today , took a little over a month to arrive . 

Out of the box the sound seems to be stale and imbalanced , but after leaving it on for 2 hours it dramatically improved . 

So far it sounds amazing , way better than GL 6922 and 12au7 , will do more detail comparison when I get more time . 

Was this their Reflektor branded ones?

19 minutes ago, DrMikeOz said:

I’ve had a pair for ages - they are so good I bought a second pair - @MrBurns84 has my other pair now :)

@DrMikeOz Yep and can concur, they're much better than the new prod GL6922's.

7 minutes ago, DrMikeOz said:

Yup - used it on the DAC and also in the phono stage @MrBurns84 is now the proud owner of :) 

Lol @DrMikeOz Misus tells me each day, why does it have to be so big.. so i said, bigger the better.. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, R-Y74 said:

how did you like the 12BH7? i listened to them for more than 3 week. I enjoyed it for a week or 2. they are far more tubey and rather "slow". but i still prefer the 6H30pi. 

I have not tried these 3 tubes yet, just planning to. It looks like I will get either 6n23p or 6h6p first. You guys seem to like these. Oh, I need to order two more 6H30pi, I only have one at V4. lol I have to stagger these purchases to avoid my wife's prying eyes.

47 minutes ago, ferdzb said:

I have not tried these 3 tubes yet, just planning to. It looks like I will get either 6n23p or 6h6p first. You guys seem to like these. Oh, I need to order two more 6H30pi, I only have one at V4. lol I have to stagger these purchases to avoid my wife's prying eyes.

Lol @ferdzb Exact same problem i have re: missus.  I thought i could sneak in the MP-P2 but didnt think it was be that big!  Going to have to keep a low profile for a bit, next on the list is the MP-D2 dac.  The 6h6p seems to have a fuller, thicker sound, the 6n23p to me sounds closer to the GL6922s but these are just my impressions.

Edited by MrBurns84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBurns84 said:

Lol @ferdzb Exact same problem i have re: missus.  I thought i could sneak in the MP-P2 but didnt think it was be that big!  Going to have to keep a low profile for a bit, next on the list is the MP-D2 dac.  The 6h6p seems to have a fuller, thicker sound, the 6n23p to me sounds closer to the GL6922s but these are just my impressions.

I did warn you it was massive - it wasn’t just me making up and excuse to feed my upgraditis ? thankfully the DAC is slightly smaller - you can make a beautiful pyramid by placing it strategically on top ?

Had a good listening session last night.  IMHO, i think the effect is minimal, so dont get excited over this, i think the best position for these are on the output couplings.  My initial impressions so far...

Edited by MrBurns84