Musical Paradise MP 701 Mark II Owners & Discussion Thread

Well done @R-Y74!  The Obbligs are good but i do find them noisy somehow...swapping them over even to the basic Mundorf evo oils dropped the noise down a fair bit.   These SGO's will take the pre to another whole level and does help clearly delineate the tube rolling differences.

6 hours ago, demoiree said:

@R-Y74 

i'd suggest use the stock tubes to run them in for at least 50 hours , i  left mine on for days :D , and it did further improve the sound.

I havent burned in mine for long yet, but the cheaper evo oils have opened up more than the evo supreme oils.   Mundorfs do have a house sound.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MrBurns84 said:

I havent burned in mine for long yet, but the cheaper evo oils have opened up more than the evo supreme oils.   Mundorfs do have a house sound.

Hi Mr Burns curioous to know what the house sound is like. Toggling between the Mundorf and Jantzens for caps. Both seem to be pretty good.

21 hours ago, Ram18 said:

Hi Mr Burns curioous to know what the house sound is like. Toggling between the Mundorf and Jantzens for caps. Both seem to be pretty good.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

His findings are quite spot on the mundorf evo oils and supreme evo oils that i have heard.

Edited by MrBurns84

I replaced the Bennic filter caps with Mundorf Supremes.  Huge! :D same length but fatter than the coupling caps. Man, it's a pain feeding the wires into the terminals. 

I tested a bit and I was greeted by clarity in voice and overall airiness  (perhaps it's due to lower noise floor?) and bass is more defined, I didn't expect that.  I like it!

ym2y0KK.png?1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferdzb said:

I replaced the Bennic filter caps with Mundorf Supremes.  Huge! :D same length but fatter than the coupling caps. Man, it's a pain feeding the wires into the terminals. 

I tested a bit and I was greeted by clarity in voice and overall airiness  (perhaps it's due to lower noise floor?) and bass is more defined, I didn't expect that.  I like it!

ym2y0KK.png?1

Haha.. welcome to the club of cap rolling.  They're big but well worth it imo.  Yes, swapping out the stock caps does yeild a lower noise floor, the tube noise is also lowered by quite a bit.   

• Thanks 1

On 16/09/2020 at 11:49 PM, Ram18 said:

Oh My such details. Most beyond me R-Y74. 

Hey @Ram18.  Do this.  When the system is on, just turn up the volume on the preamp to you normal listening loudness.  Without playing any music, sit at your listening position, listen out if you can hear any audible hiss from the speakers.  

13 hours ago, MrBurns84 said:

Another useful video from @ferdzb - thanks for posting and sharing this. Very useful insight to others tube rolling on the preamp.

@MrBurns84 You're welcome! I just noticed I forgot to add NOS ECA 12AU7 in that video. FWIW, the ECAs are neutral sounding like the Tungsols but the ECA has no lean sounding bass. Balanced sound in all freq. Good for those who don't want coloration in their systems.

Edited by ferdzb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, R-Y74 said:

Really? Is it obvious? O man.. im not sure if I want to open the lid again.. lol.. another upgrade again... is this your new phono MrBurns84? Nicee

They are only a few dollars each and a couple of minutes to pop them in - practically free in audiophile terms ;)

• Like 1

On 23/09/2020 at 9:37 AM, MrBurns84 said:

Another useful video from @ferdzb - thanks for posting and sharing this. Very useful insight to others tube rolling on the preamp.

I must echo Mr Burns. Excellent video ferdz. Highly informative and useful for aspiring cap and tube rollers. Learnt a lot from this sharing.   Am reassured now the 6h30Pi  i bought though its Sovtec  tubes do serve well. Thanks for taking time to put this together. Your speakers sing by the way! Now to my next upgrade - switching the rectifier

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, R-Y74 said:

Hahah..  i think I have unscrew the cover too many times with my unfortunate events with faulty tubes. Do you attached fit them with the coupling caps or the power filters? Thanks

haha , i left mine opened since i started my first set of tubes ... but will cover up once my son starts to walk.

@MrBurns84 good to know those tiny bypass caps does something to the sound ! is there any pit falls? im just concerned that DC voltage might escape via the smaller cap.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, R-Y74 said:

Really? Is it obvious? O man.. im not sure if I want to open the lid again.. lol.. another upgrade again... is this your new phono MrBurns84? Nicee

@R-Y74 Was skeptical too at first but it was installed on my MP-P2 phonostage and after listening to them with and without the bypass, it was noticeable.  But think of it as icing on the cake and its the absolute last thing to be done.