Musical Paradise MP 701 Mark II Owners & Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, demoiree said:

Hey @TheArchitect thanks for sharing your experience! 

Mine didn't pop when turning on the pre(i always turn on the PRE first then the Amp last and my amp has soft start) , but does a low pop when turning off my amp.

About the dip switches , yes , mine was delivered with "1" , and with setting "1" , minor ground hum was coming through , it was much reduced when i set it to "4" , perhaps too much voltage/gain for my sensitive modwright amp. 

are you hearing any minor buzz or hum coming through your speakers(ear up close to the speaker) ,compared to the Pre32?

I have Myteks Amp on Monoblocks and it does have a low pop when turning on/off my amps. 
yes, there is a soft hiss /noise when close up to the speaker with MP701. only when close up. listening position i can't hear it or notice it. with the Pre32 it's dead silence even if i crank up the volume. but again, it doesn't bother me as long as it is unnoticable in my sitting position. what annoys me most is the screws at the front and the remote! LOL.. other than that, i'm quite impress with this preamp. it's soo airy and lush. like a soft pillow. LOL. 

12 minutes ago, TheArchitect said:

I have Myteks Amp on Monoblocks and it does have a low pop when turning on/off my amps. 
yes, there is a soft hiss /noise when close up to the speaker with MP701. only when close up. listening position i can't hear it or notice it. with the Pre32 it's dead silence even if i crank up the volume. but again, it doesn't bother me as long as it is unnoticable in my sitting position. what annoys me most is the screws at the front and the remote! LOL.. other than that, i'm quite impress with this preamp. it's soo airy and lush. like a soft pillow. LOL. 

Good to hear that not just mine doing that . 

Are you connecting your system using XLR inputs/outputs ? 

Don't really mind the design , if I have spare time might change the faceplate to a hardwood wood panel later down the road to match my speaker color haha

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Porkbuns69 said:

The Obbligato caps are good within its price.  If you want to roll some, go with some Janzsen Superior Z's (the red ones), they're good all round caps at not so silly prices.  I wonder if its worth adding a bypass cap in parallel?

Tks for the tip. Right now staying with stock and will consider Janzen Superior when its time to roll. Tks!

I also read that when choosing caps need to consider system matching. Well guess its a bit of trial and.error?

16 hours ago, TheArchitect said:

Standards caps. No upgrades. Makes no sense to upgrade if you don't listen to stock first. That's how I view it. 

Turning on sequence

Preamp  first wait for 10 secs then- power amp

Turning off sequence 

Power amp off - then preamp. 

Raph. 

Tks! Yes I will be going stick first too.

Just now, Ram18 said:

Tks for the tip. Right now staying with stock and will consider Janzen Superior when its time to roll. Tks!

I also read that when choosing caps need to consider system matching. Well guess its a bit of trial and.error?

Tks! Yes I will be going stick first too.

Sorry I meant stock!

13 hours ago, TheArchitect said:

I am happy it sounds airy and lush Raph.  Am looking forward to the smoothness of this amp. 

On 15/07/2020 at 6:46 AM, demoiree said:

Btw , just noticed some strange high pitch beep beep sound from my speaker after moving my equipments to a rack , thinking if it caused by some wifi or cellular signal, picked by the tube preamp ?

I had a similar situation with some tube gear (including the first version of the MP-701) that was fixed by changing the RCA cables from unshielded to shielded cables.

FWIW, my experience with tubes for the the first version of the MP-701 would be (from memory):

(new) PSVANE 12AU7-MkII - Lots of bloom, but pretty thick in the bass region.

(new) Gold Lion 6922 - balanced and strong, leaning to warmish solid state nature

(new) Tung-Sol 12AU7W - similar to GL6922 but adds a little more bloom.

I also recently checked many other cheap new 12AU7's in another device, but the Tung-Sol 12AU7W for neutral or the PSVANE 12AU7-MkII for bloom (if can control the fat bass) would be my choice for new 12AU7.

(new) iFi NOS6922 - meh...

(new) not impressed by any of the many Electro Harmonix or JJ models I tried either..

(new) stock tubes, kind of lean sounding compared to GL6922 but not too bad

(NOS) Reflektor 74-75 6922 - very neutral, airy, just a touch of  bloom but maybe not worth the cost difference.

(NOS) Tesla E88EC - OK, but kind of flat sounding (from memory). Not much character, sparkle or sound-stage.

This new version preamp seems a very very different design though.

I will probably order one later this year. I just have a feeling NOS 12AU7 RCA clear top may offer the perfect balance for not much money.

My original 701 seemed somewhat fussy about the rectifier tube, had sparks a couple times trying different NOS models. I would suggest leave that one for last after you got the other stuff where you like it...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, R-Y74 said:

any of u guys experience a buzzing noise coming from the MP-701 MKii? mine has a buzzing noise when it's turn on. not from the speakers but from the Preamp itself. 

can you localise the buzzing noise on the pre?  Is it from the Torrodial psu?  If so, you might be having some dc leakage thats upsetting the torrodial.  

12 minutes ago, Porkbuns69 said:

I suspect it could be those chinese tubes. I think i'll swap the tubes and see if it's still humming or buzzing. then will try DC Blocker. i think there is one member here makes it too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, motberg said:

I had a similar situation with some tube gear (including the first version of the MP-701) that was fixed by changing the RCA cables from unshielded to shielded cables.

FWIW, my experience with tubes for the the first version of the MP-701 would be (from memory):

(new) PSVANE 12AU7-MkII - Lots of bloom, but pretty thick in the bass region.

(new) Gold Lion 6922 - balanced and strong, leaning to warmish solid state nature

(new) Tung-Sol 12AU7W - similar to GL6922 but adds a little more bloom.

I also recently checked many other cheap new 12AU7's in another device, but the Tung-Sol 12AU7W for neutral or the PSVANE 12AU7-MkII for bloom (if can control the fat bass) would be my choice for new 12AU7.

(new) iFi NOS6922 - meh...

(new) not impressed by any of the many Electro Harmonix or JJ models I tried either..

(new) stock tubes, kind of lean sounding compared to GL6922 but not too bad

(NOS) Reflektor 74-75 6922 - very neutral, airy, just a touch of  bloom but maybe not worth the cost difference.

(NOS) Tesla E88EC - OK, but kind of flat sounding (from memory). Not much character, sparkle or sound-stage.

This new version preamp seems a very very different design though.

I will probably order one later this year. I just have a feeling NOS 12AU7 RCA clear top may offer the perfect balance for not much money.

My original 701 seemed somewhat fussy about the rectifier tube, had sparks a couple times trying different NOS models. I would suggest leave that one for last after you got the other stuff where you like it...

Thanks for sharing your experience ! 

14 hours ago, R-Y74 said:

I think so. It sound like coming from the rear of the pre.

i cant hear any buzz from the rear of the pre , all i can hear is the "sizzling" noise from the tubes , very very faint. nothing disturbing.

• Like 1

• 1 hour ago, R-Y74 said:

very good. my Primare Pre32 is now demoted into my office system. 

Hi R-Y74

How is your gain settings on the MP like?

I just got my MP 701 Mk 2. Looks a fine piece. I initially set the gain settings to 4 (lowest gain) on both gain settings on the MP being cautious of setting too high a gain setting in case my speakers blow.. My XTZ power amp also has gain settings with a dial. I set the power amp gain settings about 40 to 50%. However, I am not getting optimal or rather desired tube sound even when I dial up the volume on the MP

Now am thinking should I adjust the gain settings to 2 or even 1 ( highest gain) and have  my XTZ power amp at minimal gain settings to match say 10 or 15% of maximum.

Sorry for this noob question, is there any other way to adjust the gain settings other than removing the cover? and I would need to adjust gain settings on  both the gain settings on the blue chips inside the MP  placed  left and right?

Appreciate your advise and any experiences from other MP701 users.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Ram18 said:

Hi R-Y74

How is your gain settings on the MP like?

I just got my MP 701 Mk 2. Looks a fine piece. I initially set the gain settings to 4 (lowest gain) on both gain settings on the MP being cautious of setting too high a gain setting in case my speakers blow.. My XTZ power amp also has gain settings with a dial. I set the power amp gain settings about 40 to 50%. However, I am not getting optimal or rather desired tube sound even when I dial up the volume on the MP

Now am thinking should I adjust the gain settings to 2 or even 1 ( highest gain) and have  my XTZ power amp at minimal gain settings to match say 10 or 15% of maximum.

Sorry for this noob question, is there any other way to adjust the gain settings other than removing the cover? and I would need to adjust gain settings on  both the gain settings on the blue chips inside the MP  placed  left and right?

Appreciate your advise and any experiences from other MP701 users.

Thanks

Not familiar with XTZ but i set my mytek Dac+ minus 6 gain and preamp setting at 4 and i don't go pass 9 0'clock volume pot when listening. maybe between 9 and 10 is my reference listening volume. you can change the dip without removing the cover. that was what i did. the only time i remove the cover was when i rolled the tubes. 

1 hour ago, R-Y74 said:

Not familiar with XTZ but i set my mytek Dac+ minus 6 gain and preamp setting at 4 and i don't go pass 9 0'clock volume pot when listening. maybe between 9 and 10 is my reference listening volume. you can change the dip without removing the cover. that was what i did. the only time i remove the cover was when i rolled the tubes. 

Thanks for sharing. Guess it is an experiment with different types of amps what the ideal setting should be.  Changing the dip wise you use a needle or something? As the space to change the dip is rather small from the top.

3 hours ago, R-Y74 said:

very good. my Primare Pre32 is now demoted into my office system. 

Hi R-Y74

This  question is to other fellow MP 701 Mk2 users as well.