Best speaker’s for an Accuphase e202

Hi, I’m looking for speaker recommendations for an Accuphase e202.  Preferably bookshelf sized.  I listen to a broad range of music but primarily electronic and ambient so I need something that can handle a lot of bass without distortion.  I think I’d prefer something new having dabbled in vintage before.

Last year when l was looking for a turn table update, the tt l purchased was hooked up to an Accuphase amp through some ProAc bookcase speakers. It sounded simply magical. The shop owner told me that out of all the speakers he sells, the ProAcs where the best match for Accuphase amplifiers. The downside with these speakers are that they are bloody expensive.  They would be up near the top of my end speaker wish list. Along with Spendor and Sonus Faber, that l recon would also be a great match up with Accuphase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marsh said:

I listen to a broad range of music but primarily electronic and ambient so I need something that can handle a lot of bass without distortion.

Unsure of your budget but perhaps Lenehan ML2's ?

Back in the day when the Accuphase E-202 was being sold new in HIFI stores,   they were often coupled with speakers that were also deemed to be seriously high end at the time -  Gale 401's.    Gales need a bit of grunt to drive them and the E-202 demonstrated that it could do it with ease.  

Edited by Tasso

3 hours ago, Tasso said:

Back in the day when the Accuphase E-202 was being sold new in HIFI stores,   they were often coupled with speakers that were also deemed to be seriously high end at the time -  Gale 401's.    Gales need a bit of grunt to drive them and the E-202 demonstrated that it could do it with ease.  

They do kinda stretch the definition of "bookshelf" though!

8 hours ago, Marsh said:

Hi, I’m looking for speaker recommendations for an Accuphase e202.  Preferably bookshelf sized.  I listen to a broad range of music but primarily electronic and ambient so I need something that can handle a lot of bass without distortion.  I think I’d prefer something new having dabbled in vintage before.

What do you envisage your max spend to be?

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2020 at 3:23 AM, Grizzly said:

They do kinda stretch the definition of "bookshelf" though!

Yes but nothing will quite look ( or sound ) the same. ?

468171698__MG_1008-Version3.jpg.4b3ff2474c8e316bee875a3d54c954e2.jpg

• Like 3

From memory the amp is quite toppy and bassy but the tone controls can be used, Lenehans should be good,  Whatmough 202 and Proac Response 2 may be worth a try or even a Kef R3

Edited by Al.M

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2020 at 1:16 PM, Al.M said:

From memory the amp is quite toppy and bassy but the tone controls can be used, Lenehans should be good,  Whatmough 202 and Proac Response 2 may be worth a try or even a Kef R3

My memory of the E202 was boring with a mild undertone. I'd say Proac Tablets or something similar would be decent.

Edited by Wimbo

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

My memory of the E202 was boring with a mild undertone. I'd say Proac Tablets or something similar would be decent.

Might have been the Accuphase 204 then?

9 hours ago, Al.M said:

Might have been the Accuphase 204 then?

Maybe. Late 70's Accuphase integrateds were pretty ordinary IMO and needed speakers with a lot of colour to get good results.

• Like 1

I have owned E202s.They have a nicely balanced sound with a lovely refined treble.They are not especially speaker fussy and tend to sound smooth and  composed on most speakers.They deserve a speaker with high quality drivers.

Osborn would be a worthy choice for that reason.

That is if you do not want Gale 401s because that is a special combination.

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 1