FOUND: WTB: CD Player, Marantz, Rotel, ARCAM, Cambridge

lebowski

Item: CD Player
Price Range: up to $500 
Item Condition: New or Used, in excellent condition
Extra Info: Prefer local seller in Melbourne suburbs. Must have digital coax.

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

Edited by lebowski

Luc, I have thought about getting a Sansui CDP however a bit hesitant due to their age, particularly the higher end models. Parts availability and potential for repair. 

So I’m thinking something mid-fi and Japanese and less than 20 years old.

Don’t want to spend too much as I’m mainly streaming these days, with a bit of vinyl and FM in the mix.

I want digital Coax as I will likely buy a Geisler DAC later this year. I still have the Starting Point Battery DAC which is a great little budget DAC that absolutely nails musical tone, just looking for a bit more resolution and detail.

The Sansui family certainly hasn’t gotten any smaller and I often think I should probably sell a few Amps etc and let someone else enjoy. As much as I love listening to them, I love the look of them. You know what I mean ?

14 minutes ago, lebowski said:

You know what I mean ?

I do indeed and I'm your first point of call when you decide to get rid of that absolutely ratty rack and some of it's inhabitants. No idea how you put up with it's looks and even less so, how the SWIMBO lets you keep it.

It's so bloody 70's/80's kitsch, don't you now 1955 to 1966 is where it's at now?  It's all Baltic pine these days and original Sugden and Tannoys and obscure Italian stuff with weird French and German peripherals...

*At least that's what my style informant tells me?

Edited by Luc
typo
  • Like 1

Hahaha... the rack of Sansui is way too much fun. It does get regular use and occasionally wind up the 717 when it’s time to rock ??

Wife, I think secretly likes the 70’s hi-fi although she would never let on.

Keeps nagging about changing the psychedelic blue and purple carpet but I think it really ties the room together.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mendes said:

Thank you Sergio.

I have a few Marantzes, like CD-40, 50, 65, 75Mk2, 6000OSE (that last one being silver).

Sadly, of the two units from Sony that I have, one (302ES) does not have digital output and the other (338ESD) is well over $500.

Currently no Rotel and I would not recommend NAD. Have two of them on the "for parts" pile. They do fail a lot and their prices are so low, that they are not worth fixing.

In this price bracket, Pioneers are well build and very reliable. Either stable platter ones or with magnetic drive. The ones which have mechanism that has both of those features are rare and lots more expensive. Only have magnetic one PD-7100 with coax output. The other one which is recommended by Lampizator sadly only has Toslink.

If you are going to use DAC, you could go for a transport. I have just fixed DiscMagic 1 which is very good and CD-6 player from Cambridge, which is similar but had DAC designed by John Westlake from Pink Triangle.

For $100 extra, you could get into Esoteric P-500 transport.

That is pretty much it as far as my current stock.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rockeater said:

Thank you Sergio.

I have a few Marantzes, like CD-40, 50, 65, 75Mk2, 6000OSE (that last one being silver).

Sadly, of the two units from Sony that I have, one (302ES) does not have digital output and the other (338ESD) is well over $500.

Currently no Rotel and I would not recommend NAD. Have two of them on the "for parts" pile. They do fail a lot and their prices are so low, that they are not worth fixing.

In this price bracket, Pioneers are well build and very reliable. Either stable platter ones or with magnetic drive. The ones which have mechanism that has both of those features are rare and lots more expensive. Only have magnetic one PD-7100 with coax output. The other one which is recommended by Lampizator sadly only has Toslink.

If you are going to use DAC, you could go for a transport. I have just fixed DiscMagic 1 which is very good and CD-6 player from Cambridge, which is similar but had DAC designed by John Westlake from Pink Triangle.

For $100 extra, you could get into Esoteric P-500 transport.

That is pretty much it as far as my current stock.

thanks Roman. You have some interesting CDP/ Transport that I will do some research on. I’ll be in touch if there is anything of interest and thanks for info on NAD.

• Like 1

under $500 want and ole mf X-ray... gorgeous things !!! one on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Musical-Fidelity-X-Ray-24-Bit-CD-Player/233619394934?hash=item3664cd1176:g:8AQAAOSw6MBe5iJK

though not sure what the bung is added on the back or thing on display... there are usually better examples that pop up... even locally

ps also my experience is old KI marantz am sorry to say were little disappointment. perhaps too hyped up or well past their prime or something dont know ! there are better marantz player in my opinion, i see others recommended above...

ps one great old marantz is the cd 52 SE gorgeous thing. still have good memories of one i owned. i see teac/esoteric mentioned above i had a p700 for many years gorgeous things too :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

under $500 want and ole mf X-ray... gorgeous things !!! one on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Musical-Fidelity-X-Ray-24-Bit-CD-Player/233619394934?hash=item3664cd1176:g:8AQAAOSw6MBe5iJK

though not sure what the bung is added on the back or thing on display... there are usually better examples that pop up... even locally

ps also my experience is old KI marantz am sorry to say were little disappointment. perhaps too hyped up or well past their prime or something dont know ! there are better marantz player in my opinion, i see others recommended above...

ps one great old marantz is the cd 52 SE gorgeous thing. still have good memories of one i owned. i see teac/esoteric mentioned above i had a p700 for many years gorgeous things too :) 

The Esoteric P500 sounds like a good option and thanks for pointing out the MF on eBay, looks interesting. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lebowski said:

thanks Roman. You have some interesting CDP/ Transport that I will do some research on.

I fix audio (mainly CD players).

I buy them faulty and then repair and recondition them as much as possible.

When choosing which one to get, I look at the mechanism first for its build quality and overall player's construction. Then the DAC and the electronics design: number of regulators, filtering etc.

Lampizator's website is a rich source of information for all those things.

Online reviews I find worthless and in general I only use reviews when trying to find out what features the particular item has (inputs/outputs/sampling rates, compatibility etc).

• Like 1

EAFFEBD1-3076-4E24-82FC-2DF6ED4C8F63.thumb.jpeg.9eb13e837d3146762e425b22d9b6d0ac.jpegI have a Pro-Ject Audio CD Box SE, slot drive type, has analogue and digital coax out, ordinal packaging, remote and power supply. Silver faceplate.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, muon* said:

IF looking at it as a transport, look for an early Marantz

Marantz players are nice but their SPDIF output is average at best, so using them as transport is not really playing into their strength.

27 minutes ago, muon* said:

using the CDM1 transprt mech.

They are indestructible nearly, and sound good.

This is true of CDM-1 Mk2, which happens to be a Japanese name for metal version of CDM-4 - the most reliable mechanism ever. I am yet to see one fail.

CDM-1 - the original one or Mk1 as they are now known - have began to fail some time ago and I would myself stay away from a player with one, unless it had some special sound characteristic that you like.

• Like 1