"The Age Of Hieronymus" - my jazz/funk album

Hey, signed up here not long ago, liking the forum (mainly the "spinning" sections to see what people are playing).
I'm a producer/music maker from Melbourne and just wanted to share my jazz-funk/fusion/whatever album that I dropped recently, so far the response has been all love.  It's currently available streaming in all good places and I've got the wax up on my bandcamp if any vinyl heads are interested(http://hieronymusdros.bandcamp.com/album/the-age-of-hieronymus). I already had a feller off here grab a copy off me (Tubularbells) so thought I'd share (hope I'm not spamming).

• Like 2

Ive been playing the download as we speak as I wait for the vinyl to arrive (next few days) and seeing this post had to pop in ?

Great album and I personally would love (as im sure many others here) if you could share a little about how you made the album (i.e was it in your bedroom with a laptop or was it in a studio with other musicians?) Also given how expensive it is to get a vinyl release these days and insights around this would also be fascinating (mastering and pressing plant or whatever the hell else you'd like to share)

1 minute ago, Ian McP said:

I reckon Chris Gill at Northside Records in Fitzroy would love some vinyl copies!

http://www.northsiderecords.com.au/

Heard these guys? https://diveteam5.bandcamp.com/album/first-splash

regards Ian

You are (quite literally), the fourth person to tell me this! I contacted Chris ,telling him people on the internet keep telling me he'd love it but he was kind of busy at the time  and told me he'd get back to me(reopening because of COVID I suppose), I'll hit him up again. 

2 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Ive been playing the download as we speak as I wait for the vinyl to arrive (next few days) and seeing this post had to pop in ?

Great album and I personally would love (as im sure many others here) if you could share a little about how you made the album (i.e was it in your bedroom with a laptop or was it in a studio with other musicians?) Also given how expensive it is to get a vinyl release these days and insights around this would also be fascinating (mastering and pressing plant or whatever the hell else you'd like to share)

Oh, I made it in a pretty unorthodox way, I would finish up tracks as much as I could with bass/keys/synths/talkbox and so on myself and hire musicians (horn player, guitartist, saxophone player and so on) and direct them (without being too restrictive) and play editor/arranger, chopping/changing/rearranging and even in some cases rekeying and using parts on other tracks when I was in a jam/out of ideas. I'm originally a hiphop head and am used to flipping dusty old samples into beats, so a lot of the time it was the same principles at play.

Spending wise, vinyl costs a pretty penny, there's one (or maybe two?) places in Victoria that do it. You can find them/look up price listings if you're interested. Keep in mind I'm an idiot and made a double vinyl since the album is so long play time wise (I'm not sure I'll make a double next time I make an album).

Once you factor in two discs and the shipping weight, the **** becomes insanely pricey for people overseas. Nevertheless, so far 90% of my supporters have been Americans DESPITE a global pandemic and an outburst of civil unrest and the crazy shipping price. I've even got in touch with a fan in Minneapolis who works at a non-profit/ also works on the neighborhood watch over and have donated to the food-drive place he does work for, the power of music I guess!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

I reckon Chris Gill at Northside Records in Fitzroy would love some vinyl copies!

http://www.northsiderecords.com.au/

Heard these guys? https://diveteam5.bandcamp.com/album/first-splash

regards Ian

That band is pretty cool sounding too, I think I saw that cover on my instagram somehwere.

7 minutes ago, jt301 said:

I’m streaming it now on Tidal. It sounds great. 

I know you said it was jazz/funk/fusion but that album cover art and @Tubularbells well known love of heavy metal had me expecting something different. 

Oh, I aways get compliments on the cover (i think the skull fits the "Hieronymus Bosch" thing). I hired a French artist named Etienne Chaize to do it. I was going for the airbrush art of the early to mid 70's (mainly a famous artist named Dave Willardson being the main inspiration). Whilst i could see it being interpreted as metal, I think the art deco Cadillac fender-esque design and the 70's gold shine and the cherry red backdrop/the oldschool .38 revolver gives it the essence of an old crime flick or something.(at least to me).

Edited by dros_beats